Gap newbie - reassurance required!

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:I just finished reading the Gap so all I have to offer you is reassurances and possibly some spoilers. My favorite of the series was Forbidden Knowledge.
I am well into Forbidden Knowledge and I,M reallying enjoying it , its a cracking read Morn and her gift from Angus ;) was unexpected I must say. The characters on S ship are quiet entertaining and it is nice to see more depth in characters in this book.
Angus has gained unexpected friends or will they be friends or foe :?: that I need to carry on reading to find out . All in all its moving along nicely.
i,M hopefully and I tried my best to not spoilers in here .
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Glad you're enjoying it. It only gets better after Forbidden Knowledge, in my opinion. Good times ahead. 8) :thumbsup:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yeah, after the deep dark frustrating blackness of TRS there was an encouraging spark at the end. After First Contact in FK and Vector getting them through the gap the series took off like a rocket for me.
~Darkness as complete as black space; separated from black space by a fragile hull which had vanished as though it never existed. The void was inside, vacuum and the utter cold of death.
-Darkness and gasping; atavistic panic.
fall far and well Pilots!
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

CovenantJr wrote:Glad you're enjoying it. It only gets better after Forbidden Knowledge, in my opinion. Good times ahead. 8) :thumbsup:
Actually I think I liked Dark and Hungry God better, particularly for its thrilling conclusion.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

...each book gets better and better...
fall far and well Pilots!
Harrowed
Servant of the Land

Post by Harrowed »

There is one person in particular worthy of admiration.. ;)
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I just finished the GAP series and what amazed me most was how I felt I had reached the most tension, the conclusion...and still had 250 pages to go.
Incredible.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

rdhopeca wrote:I just finished the GAP series and what amazed me most was how I felt I had reached the most tension, the conclusion...and still had 250 pages to go.
Incredible.
I'm still amazed how fast you read that series! I'm still getting through Memories of Ice - nowhere near the end, but enjoying it.... This speed reading thing - did you train for it? It's amazing. Wasn't it just a day or 2 ago that you'd finished Dark and Hung?
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

StevieG wrote:
rdhopeca wrote:I just finished the GAP series and what amazed me most was how I felt I had reached the most tension, the conclusion...and still had 250 pages to go.
Incredible.
I'm still amazed how fast you read that series! I'm still getting through Memories of Ice - nowhere near the end, but enjoying it.... This speed reading thing - did you train for it? It's amazing. Wasn't it just a day or 2 ago that you'd finished Dark and Hung?
I've always been able to do it....I can read (in a paperback) about 100 pages an hour, give or take. I have no idea how.

Dark and Hung? :lol:
Rob

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

rdhopeca wrote:Dark and Hung? :lol:
:P Yes, I wouldn't refer to it as that unless SRD did so himself...
In the GI, SRD wrote: John McCann:
What would you suggest for someone who really wants to finish the Gap cycle but can't imagine starting over again at "The Real Story" I read the first 3 as they were released and like the 3rd the best of those, but by the time I got "Chaos and Order" (a pre release copy even) I felt lost and never got more than 30 pages into it. This is coming from a person who has already picked up his copy of Lord Fouls Bane to refresh his memory for the upcoming "Runes of the Earth".

Gee, what *can* I suggest for a reader who can't stand to revisit "The Real Story"? Well, if you also can't stand to revisit "Forbidden Knowledge" (affectionately known as "Forbidden Cannelloni"), then my only suggestion is to re-read "A Dark and Hungry God Arises" (affectionately known as "Dark and Hung").

(06/09/2004)
and....
In the GI, SRD wrote:Unfortunately, that novella also caused a fair amount of trouble. Putting the problem crudely, it broke my concentration on the GAP books, causing me to drop some of the balls I was juggling. As a result, "Chaos and Order" was a much more difficult rewrite than, say, "Dark and Hung". I had to find all the balls I'd dropped and somehow get them back in the air without letting the reader see that I'd dropped them.

Because of that experience, I've sworn off (eternally, of course) writing short fiction while I'm in the midst of a big project like "The Last Chronicles".

(08/04/2004)
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Just to add a bit of etymology to D&H, SRD said in the GI (when I can't recall), that a certain catalogue indexed A Dark and Hungry God Arises with the abbreviation, Dark and Hung. Obviously, that was too good to let go, so to speak.
ItisWritten
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:Glad you're enjoying it. It only gets better after Forbidden Knowledge, in my opinion. Good times ahead. 8) :thumbsup:
Actually I think I liked Dark and Hungry God better, particularly for its thrilling conclusion.
Great good news then as I just finished Forbidden knowledge and taught it was great , the characters are better now more diverse, and the story plot is developing nicely Isuppose its going to happen than angus and morn are going bumped into each other again , Im looking forward to that meeting :biggrin: There will be fireworks in the next book I reckon. I will have to read it find out lol.
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

[quote="Cleburne There will be fireworks in the next book I reckon. I will have to read it find out lol.[/quote] :biggrin:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Got my hands on a Dark and Hungry God today looking forward to getting my teeth into it. :biggrin:
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Cleburne wrote:Got my hands on a Dark and Hungry God today looking forward to getting my teeth into it. :biggrin:
:D Have fun, it's quite a ride.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Yeah I think, er, Dark and Hung :roll: is my favorite of the books. Explosive climax...
Rob

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

rdhopeca wrote:Yeah I think, er, Dark and Hung :roll: is my favorite of the books. Explosive climax...
8O :lol:
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Cleburne wrote:Got my hands on a Dark and Hungry God today looking forward to getting my teeth into it. :biggrin:
Careful, it bites back. 8O

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Sorus wrote:
Careful, it bites back. 8O
Just one chapter in just been introduced to Holt the fella with the half dead mother and a major honcho ( how come he is 150 yrs old) . So to date havent been bitten yet ;)

Return to “The Gap Series”