the High Fantasy Society

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Lord Mhoram
Lord

the High Fantasy Society

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Im creating the High Fantasy Society, where you can nominate great works of fantasy, and you will represent that fantasy here. People may ask about your fantasy, and you can explain them. Basically, this thread is an exchange of great fantasies!

There are many I could nominate, many I havent finished, or havent read in a while, so Im going to make the safest pick- the Chronicles of Narnia!! 8)
Michael Giantfriend
Ramen

Post by Michael Giantfriend »

Hmm, nice choice! I could go for LOTR, but that would be too ... predictable, I suppose is the word I'm looking for. So, instead I'll opt for Feist's Riftwar Saga and the follow-ups.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Hmm, I'll take the Sorrow, Memory, and Thorn (aka Dragonbone Chair) books by Tad Williams.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm sticking with the Earthsea books of LeGuin. Five novels, one novella, and several short stories. (So far?)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The A Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R. R. Martin! :x wooohooo!
fall far and well Pilots!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I'm with Danlo - yay! :D
Sylvanus, you should pop over to Ahira's Hangar and meet up with Earthblood - he runs a discussion forum over there for Tad Williams books! :D
pub40.ezboard.com/bahirashangar
Love as thou wilt.

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I might have mentioned some of these before but still:

The Chronicles of Amber; Roger Zelazny (first five)
The Witches of Wenshar; Barbara Hambly
The Chronicles of Alvin Maker; Orson Scott Card
The Curse of Chalion; Lois McMasters Bujold
Nobody's Son; Sean Stewart
Mairelon the Magician; Patricia Wrede
Lord Darcy; Randall Garrett

I also would tend to agree with most of the suggestions made above that I know anything about. Especially Tad Williams.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Michael Giantfriend wrote:Hmm, nice choice! I could go for LOTR, but that would be too ... predictable, I suppose is the word I'm looking for. So, instead I'll opt for Feist's Riftwar Saga and the follow-ups.
I just wanted to say that in my opinion Feist is quite good, but I think that A Darkness at Sethanon was a bit...much. Magician and Silverthorn is brilliant, though, and you really need the third book for completion so what is one to do. (Read them all anyway of course. :lol: )

But writing about this makes me think about Janny Wurts. She wrote a triology with Feist set in his Kelewan universe, about this woman who becomes a clan lord. Very good stuff. But most of her other stuff is very good too. Especially the Curse of the Mistwraith series, which as far as I know is still ongoing.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

oh cool .. I really want to read some Janny Wurts .. I have the Grand Conspiracy .. I think its called .. but just havent had the time to read it yet .. is it any good?
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Skyweir, I've only read the three books she set on Kelewan during the Riftwar - Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, and Mistress of the Empire. I liked all three quite a lot. :D
Love as thou wilt.

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

You really should start with the first book in the series. It is called the Curse of the Mistwraith. I do not know if I have actually managed to read the Grand Conspiracy yet, but hopefully I will soon.
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prince of Amber »

I'd take the Amber books (well I'd have to wouldn't I) 8)
There is also Love in the World.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The first few or so of the Riftwar books were pretty good, but after that they just became detailed role playing campaigns.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I'd have to go with Gene Wolfe's Sword of the Concilliator or Julian May's Many Coloured Land series. Of course I'd need to buy them and read them first (again)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Some impressive fantasies in the Society, very impressive.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

No more suggestions for the society? No more fantasies? :?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Well, since no one else was willing to take them, I'll gladly throw in The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Silmarrillion. :)
And I don't know if I'd call them "great fantasy", but the book I read from Pratchett's Discworld series was a lot of fun! :D
And I also have to thow in Guy Guvriel Kay's The Fionavar Tapestry! :D
And McKillip's The Riddlemaster of Hed series. :D
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”