The background to the Gap-story

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

The background to the Gap-story

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I have uploaded two pictures of a rock-carving in Sweden (under the member gallery). The rock-carving tell the tale of Sigurd Fafsnes-Bane (=Sigfried in Wagners Niebelungenlied), and are there fore the earliest inspiration for the Gap-series that I know of. The carving dates back to around 1000 ad.

I will add a short resume of the story of Sigurd very soon.
SLATFATF...
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

The story of Sigurd:

Sigurd (the young hero) and Regin (dwarf in some tales), a master swordsmith, plan to kill the dragon Fafnir and take possession of his treasure.

Sigurd positions himself in a trench beneath the dragon's trail, and stabs him from beneath when Fafnir leaves his lair for water. (the dragon is Fafsnes/Fafnir = the rune row)

Regin asks Sigurd to cook the dragon's heart and give it to him to eat. While cooking the heart, Sigurd tests its doneness by putting some of its juice into his mouth with his finger.

Upon thus tasting the dragon's blood, Sigurd can understand the language of the two nearby birds, who are conversing with one another as to how the treacherous Regin plans to betray Sigurd.

Forewarned by the birds, Sigurd kills Regin.

Sigurd then loads Fafnir's treasure onto his horse Grani and departs for new adventures. (this is as far as you can follow the rock-carving)

Afterwards Sigurd marries Gudrun. Her brothers Gunnar, Hogni, and Guttorm plot to kill Sigurd in order to (among other reasons) take possession of Fafnir's treasure. Gunnar and several others gets killed but that is a rather long story.

The Runes of the carving does unfortunately not tell any of the story. It says:
Sigrid, Alriks moder, Orms dotter gjorde denna bro för sin make Holmgers, Sigröds faders själ
Which loosely translates as "Sigrid, Alrik's mother, Orm's daughter, made this bridge for the soul of her husband Holmgers, Sigröd's father" or rather "Sigrid, the mother of Alrik and the daughter of Orm, made this bridge on behalf of the soul of her husband, Holmger, the father of Sigröd"

It is interesting to note that it is payed for by a woman (Sigrid). The bridge is since long gone however. But the carvings remain...
SLATFATF...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

What a great thread! Thanks for the great read, Ylva! Awesome!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “The Gap Series”