3700 Year-Old Wall Found in Jerusalem

Those who do not learn history are doomed to use this quote over and over again.

Moderators: danlo, Damelon

[Syl]
Unfettered One

3700 Year-Old Wall Found in Jerusalem

Post by [Syl] »

'Massive' ancient wall uncovered in Jerusalem
JERUSALEM (CNN) -- An archaeological dig in Jerusalem has turned up a 3,700-year-old wall that is the largest and oldest of its kind found in the region, experts say.

Standing 8 meters (26 feet) high, the wall of huge cut stones is a marvel to archaeologists.

"To build straight walls up 8 meters ... I don't know how to do it today without mechanical equipment," said the excavation's director, Ronny Reich. "I don't think that any engineer today without electrical power [could] do it."
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

It's perversely funny that the head archaeologist is called Dr Reich...
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

"I don't think that any engineer today without electrical power [could] do it."

This guy is an idiot.
Give me a 1000 slaves and 30 years and I can build you a comparable wall.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

The irony is fantastic! Even 3700 years ago the people in that region were building huge walls. I guess the Israeli security wall has a real precedent now!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill

Return to “Doriendor Corishev”