Possible reason why people can't get into LFB: *spoilers*

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

I think I found the Chronicles challenging in both the ways you mention Peter, and more.

As others have already noted, a lot of the language is quite difficult (I freely admit that I still have to look up the occasional word when re-reading the Chronicles, lol.) The main protagonist is not the standard, heroic figure I expect from a fantasy novel - he's far too complex for that. The pacing of the Chronicles was also more measured than I was used to, requiring more patience and commitment from me than I had previously given to my reading.

But the only challenge which actually brought a halt to my reading - at least for a time - was the events I noted above.

Oh, and I've read three of the Dark Tower books, and alot of other stuff by King. Almost unfailingly - in my experience anyway - King manages to produce a 'happy ending'. It, The Stand, Christine, Salems' Lot,... I know, I know, he doesn't always do it (the Mist), but more often than not, things work out for the 'good' guys, and the 'bad' guys are defeated. I found this pattern of writing far easier than the Chronicles,
Spoiler
where I honestly didn't know whether Covenant would eventually prevail against Foul, and himself, or not.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Not far - maybe 2/3 of the way through the second book. By then it was pretty clear that it wasn't going to work for me. Interesting as well that King cites TCTC as one of his 'inspirations' to write the series (along with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly).
Kaydene wrote:
peter wrote:Do you mean challenging as in difficult to get in to, or in the sense that i) Covenant is in many ways not a nice man and/or ii) when the land of the first series had eventually got under your skin the total destruction of it in the second series was just too much to bear. I would put Stephen Kings Dark Tower series as more challenging in the first sense because of thier unremitting darkness (or at least unremitting as far as I got - I just couldn't carry on with them - I didn't like the central charachter).
Earthfriend wrote:Agreed. I stalled for about six months at the start of The Wounded Land.
Spoiler
When I saw the Sunbane's desecration of the Land, it was some time before I could work up the will to go back there.
The Chronicles are easily the most challenging fantasy novels I have ever read. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

And may I also wish Wheelwash Whitecap Mate 'Happy Reading'!
How far did you get in TDK?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”