Acropolis 1.0 - Rules, Comments, and Q&A

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Allód
Servant of the Land

Post by Allód »

Syl wrote:Let's get our Revelations in by this time next week so we can have a good two weeks before turn submissions are due.

And should turn submissions be envisaged already, can they be sent?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Sure.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

Syl,

Can you confirm for the group if Beginner's Immunity does apply between us during the first turns of the game?

As you can immagine, being unable to antagonize other deities probably impacts my choices for turns.

Krinn
Follower of Azver, friend to all in Twinsriver, and person who can get stuff done.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Krinn wrote:Syl,

Can you confirm for the group if Beginner's Immunity does apply between us during the first turns of the game?

As you can immagine, being unable to antagonize other deities probably impacts my choices for turns.
Shadowy One, FYI per the first post in this thread...
Syl wrote:(largely stolen whole cloth from Xar)

Rules Version 1.3.1

Beginner's Immunity

Newly created deities are granted three turns of immunity. During these turns, the deity cannot be antagonized by other deities other than verbally in the Forum of the Gods.
HTH
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I believe the question was whether that applies to all players at the beginning, or only to people who join as new gods after.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

All players in the beginning. You can start messing with people on your third turn submission. Let's let everyone get set up first.

Now, that's not to say you can't find other ways or even set yourself up for the third turn, but...
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

It takes the expenditure of three DRP to create a High Priest. In addition, you may only have one High Priest for every temple you control (more on those later).

It takes one DRP to ordain a priest, though this can also be done through sufficient non-DRP action.
The High Priest being our Prophet, and the only follower starting the game with divine communication;
does that make a priest aware of our true existence, but not in direct contact? What does the DRP do, in other words, to change a follower into a priest?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

One DRP allows them access to your mysteries. Whatever it is you're putting out there, it allows those mortals to 'get it.' For instance, any mortal can slit a calf's throat and burn it on an altar, but it only works for priests.
-George Steiner
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

makes sense.
thanks. :)
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

For instance, any mortal can slit a calf's throat and burn it on an altar, but it only works for priests.
So only sacrifices by priests 'count'? I'd understood otherwise....
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm pretty sure I have it in the rules that sacrifices must be done at the temple. A priest has to at least guide the process.
Temples

If you want sacrifices, you need to have a place for them. They are, in essence, the base of your worldly influence. While not having a temple isn't as bad as not having a prophet, it's pretty close. Every god will start with one, though for the beginning god, it's more of a shrine (your High Priest being the crazy guy taking care of it). As well as taking sacrifices and serving other ritual-like needs, temples also determine the size of your priesthood. 500 priests (including the High Priest) is the max per temple. It takes three DRP to establish a new temple, and it takes five temples with the full complement of priests to get the max DRP for that category. You can create a temple without a High Priest to run it, but until you have one, it's basically nothing more than a shrine.

How you choose to categorize or run these temples is entirely up to you.

Sacrifices

In order to gain your favor, the citizens of The Acropolis sacrifice something of value to you. It could be livestock, fine incense, a slave (again, human sacrifice would be very tricky), or whatever you can imagine. But if you couldn't buy it at a market, you probably won't gain anything by sacrificing it. The value has to be material, and to be fair, the value will be measured in a material sense against the sacrifices of other gods. Basically, your essence cannot enter the material world without some material essence leaving it.

The ritual or attitudes of these petitioners is entirely up to you. Generally, however, the sacrifice must take place in one of your temples.

The accumulation of this 'wealth' offered to you is usable by you as DRP.

That's not to say that people can't have their own rituals for you, and maybe that will have some effect on your sacrificial DRP if sufficiently developed (your reputation would have to be pretty high as well). But for now
-George Steiner
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

Thank you Autarch, that bit slipped my memory.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

We still have more registered players than revelations. Let's try to get the rest in within the next few days.
-George Steiner
Nakhetemet
Servant of the Land

Post by Nakhetemet »

I will do mine tomorrow.
"I am Nakhetemet, Lord of Time. We each measure our lives by the days, the movements of the Celestial Bodies, and by the seasons. What if I were to measure time by the dissolution of everything? What if you were to count your days by how much you have aged, by the number of grey hairs on your head and the wrinkles on your skin? Time is measured as the world turns to dust."
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

I was struggling already to come up with an idea, but received inspiration earlier today. If the writing flows will definitely have the reveal up by Wednesday.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Deities can imbue any object with the essence of their domain for whatever purpose, but its power will fade at the end of the month. In order to create an object of lasting effect, five times the amount of DRP must be put into it.
Could you clarify a few things for me?

1) Can you invest a permanent artifact over the course of multiple turns?

2)Does this:
If the object is living in any sense, the the magic will fade in nine months. If not, one year.
apply to permanent or non-permanent artifacts?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

There won't be permanent artifacts.

For example, let's say you want to give your high priest a magic sword. You can spend 1 DRP to gift him with this sword, but it will be an ordinary sword at the end of the turn (more bizarre or complex items may just dissipate entirely if they did not already exist before you made it an artifact). Or, the next turn you can spend another DRP to keep the sword around.

But let's say you don't want to keep spending 1 DRP every turn on the same thing. You could choose to spend 5 DRP on it, and it will last for a year (so long as it doesn't move/think all by itself which would make it living). You're basically getting 7 months free, so while it's a bigger initial investment...

There's a couple reasons for this. One, this isn't a very big setting, so I don't think it would be good to have too many magic items roaming around the board, especially very powerful ones. Two, this makes it a lot easier for me to keep track of. And three (I just thought of this one), it forces a kind of variety or at least persistence onto the players. Yes, Simjen would've hated this rule, but them's the breaks.

But I think I can see a kind of downside to it with your question. I will allow DRP to be 'paid' to artifact creation if you want to 'build' it over several turns. I will stipulate, however, that the object will have zero existence in the world until you get it out of hock, and you can't change your mind or in another way reallocate what you've already put into it. You can abandon the idea, but you'll forfeit the DRP spent. Also, the base strength (in DRP) cannot be greater than your DRP in the turn you produce it. If it would take 2 DRP to do whatever the object does in 1 turn (hence, costing 10 DRP to create), you could not bring it out until your DRP is at least 2.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Edited the last number in the last post (typo. sorry).

Also, I'm going to announce something of a major rule change. I say "something," because I've actually planned to spring it on you from the beginning, waiting for revelations were in to let you in on it.

Simply, each god will be given a 'gift' by me relating to his or her domain. I will let you know what it is with your turn results (sorry, you won't be able to use it your first turn). But to give you an idea...

If there were a God of Craftsmanship, I could give him a bonus to artifact creation. Say, once every 12 turns, it would only cost him the base cost to create an artifact. Similarly, a God of War may receive some kind of champion who would be guaranteed victory in his next battle.

If you don't like your gift, that's ok. Tell me (and why), and I'll try to come up with something else. Don't push your luck, though.

In that spirit, you may all decide to change your domains, including your revelations. Nothing will be considered final until deadline.
-George Steiner
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

Syl wrote:Simply, each god will be given a 'gift' by me relating to his or her domain. I will let you know what it is with your turn results (sorry, you won't be able to use it your first turn).
I like this idea, and look forward to seeing what you have in mind for Song with the first turn results. :thumbsup:
Herald of Sataniel
Servant of the Land

Post by Herald of Sataniel »

Should you doubt: revelation is imminent. The world shudders in anticipation of my arrival. Or perhaps it is trepidation. It's all the same to me.

Return to “Acropolis 1.0”