Haruchai and Earthpower

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Taliesin
Servant of the Land

Haruchai and Earthpower

Post by Taliesin »

When the Haruchai, calling themselves the Masters, reveal that they have decided that any use of Earthpower will ultimately serve corruption, I feel like Linden didn't really try too hard to argue for the merits of Earthpower. There's at least one use I can think of which couldn't possibly serve Lord Foul: the wood and stone lore used by the lords' Land for light and warmth. How can the Haruchai feel that they are truly protecting the land, when they are burning wood? Surely they still remember the old lore since they remember everything; which makes me wonder, did they ever actually learn any of Kevin's lore? Because if they didn't, then I can't think of anyone else left in the land who might. That would make me sad, because I really want to see The Land returned to how it was when TC first arrives there in LFB.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

While the Haruchai remember, they were never users or students of Lore, which they viewed in the same way that they did weapons -- that these were external tools that could be turned on the bearer. At all times and in all situations, Haruchai rely solely on their own competence.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

While they probably wouldn't object to the simple use of Earthpower for things such as light, heat, etc, they know that even this would lead people to the knowledge of further uses and greater power. Therefore they fear this would eventually lead to the ability to use the power for harm by the simple fact of their humanness. Though I don't agree with their fundamental fear of Earthpower, I do feel that given this belief, then they cannot permit any "limited" use.

Look at Trell for an example... a simple Gravelingas who was driven to such extreme pain that he attempted Desecration.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Not to mention that Earthpowerful citizens of the land could, and probably would challenge their rule . It is a pre-emptive strike against possible rebellion.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Taliesin
Servant of the Land

Post by Taliesin »

Look at Trell for an example... a simple Gravelingas who was driven to such extreme pain that he attempted Desecration.
An excellent point here!

I wonder if the lords following the events of the First Chronicles might have been able to protect against such things happening by really developing their own earthpower lore based on their oath of peace, had it not been for that pesky sunbane business.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
- H.P. Lovecraft
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

This is likely what did happen. Remember, the Sunbane didn't come along for a couple thousand years or so...

Not to mention, it would be really easy to avoid situations that would cause as much pain as Trell's... simply because the Unbeliever was not in the Land! ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

The Haruchai were uniquely positioned to learn in the 2nd Chronicles that Corruption had perverted Earthpower by associating with it. Being the controlling absolutist-purists they are, they assumed that by avoiding Earthpower completely, they could thus avoid the influence Corruption exerts through it. This kind of logic only makes sense to the Haruchai, for who else would intentionally hobble their 'friends' to prevent the possibility they might stray from the path?

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”