Hile Troy as an African American?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

MsMary wrote:
matrixman wrote:Nope, never imagined Hile Troy as African American.
Me, neither. Interesting that so many did, though.
Could it be to do with the predominance of skin colors in the community within which an idividual reader lives. ie She/he has an inbuilt 'bias' to constuct an internal landscape that mirrors the one experienced on a daily basis in 'real life'. Or maybe there are subliminal pointers in the description of Troy that collectively (but not individually and therefore not perceptibaly) guide the imagination in this direction.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I still think that the Geordi connection explains this phenomenon best.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

peter wrote:
MsMary wrote:
matrixman wrote:Nope, never imagined Hile Troy as African American.
Me, neither. Interesting that so many did, though.
Could it be to do with the predominance of skin colors in the community within which an idividual reader lives. ie She/he has an inbuilt 'bias' to constuct an internal landscape that mirrors the one experienced on a daily basis in 'real life'. Or maybe there are subliminal pointers in the description of Troy that collectively (but not individually and therefore not perceptibaly) guide the imagination in this direction.
Then why do I see him as a black man? I live in a community where there are hardly any blacks at all and I have no first-hand experience with black people. How should I have developed that bias?
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Why does everyone keep calling me Troy?
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Heh. I have nothing against Geordi, but TCTC entered my life long before ST:TNG ever existed. So for me, there is no association between Troy and LaForge.

Vader, your "bias" is fascinating. Wish I had an answer for you. Speaking for myself, at the time that I read TCTC, I lived in suburbia, where nearly everyone was white - at least that was my impression in the early 80's. But I really doubt that the skin color of my classmates or neighbors had anything to do with how I perceived the skin color of literary characters I read about. If you wish to "blame" something, it was maybe all the pop culture I absorbed as a kid. Yes, most if not all my childhood heroes (and superheroes) were white. Whether or not that directly determined how I pictured Hile Troy or the Haruchai in my mind is a question I leave to you, and to psychologists. What if SRD had been a black man? An Asian? An Indian woman? I wonder if - and by how much - that would have affected how I saw the skin color of his/her characters. Probably not much, if I had never learned anything about the author or seen any picture of him/her.
soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

wayfriend wrote:Image
Why does everyone keep calling me Troy?
Or even more scary, why does everyone keep calling me Troi?
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
Kaos Arcanna
Ramen

Post by Kaos Arcanna »

I think its the whole "Is he an ur-vile thing" that Foul's army says when they find him after he's been blinded.
ParanoiA
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ParanoiA »

Has anyone mentioned this to SRD in the Gradual Interview?

I'll bet he'd get a kick out of it...
Vader wrote:Then why do I see him as a black man? I live in a community where there are hardly any blacks at all and I have no first-hand experience with black people. How should I have developed that bias?
Not to mention, Hile Troy is the only human character in the chronicles I ever associated as black.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I thought Troy was black when I first read TIW in '79. That was just a leeeetle bit before STNG, sorry way...
fall far and well Pilots!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I am forced to reject my hypothesis about Geordy.
krillarbran
Stonedownor

Post by krillarbran »

In my mind he was white. cant remember if I have assumed or wether I missed something..........
transient
Stonedownor

Post by transient »

My kids were watching WKRP Cincinatti back in the early days and for some strange reason I always saw Hile Troy as looking like Dr Johnny Fever ( Howard Hesseman).

[/img]
wandering through the landscape,,never the same view or is it rooted to the spot I am and thus, deceived by a passing parade?
transient
Stonedownor

Post by transient »

My kids were watching WKRP Cincinatti back in the early days and for some strange reason I always saw Hile Troy as looking like Dr Johnny Fever ( Howard Hesseman).
wandering through the landscape,,never the same view or is it rooted to the spot I am and thus, deceived by a passing parade?
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

Its the Steve wonder thing

Post by jackgiantkiller »

I never thought of Hile Troy as black. wot type of African american name is hile troy? I think you are mixing him up with stevey Wonder
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: Its the Steve wonder thing

Post by Barnetto »

jackgiantkiller wrote:I never thought of Hile Troy as black. wot type of African american name is hile troy? I think you are mixing him up with stevey Wonder
What sort of name is Hile Troy full stop? I've never come across anyone with the first name of "Hile" and "Troy" is hardly a common surname. I've always wondered where this name came from - seems fitting name for a resident of the Land, but not for someone from our world? I don't see that the name Hile Troy militates against a black ethnicity and indeed the unusualness of the name may point in its favour?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, Barnetto. Glad to see you jumping right in. (Why not introduce yourself over in The Summonsing forum?)

I did find this. It doesn't seem that Troy is a very uncommon surname.
The Surname Database wrote:Surname: Troy

This is a very interesting locational surname. It is of French origins. Recorded in several forms including Troy, Troye, Troyes and Troys, it is from the city of Troyes in France. It was probably introduced into England at the time or shortly after the famous Conquest of 1066, although the first recording we have is not until the Hundred Rolls of 1273, two centuries later. This can probably be explained by missing records, although it is also true to say that for at least the first three centuries after the Conquest, there was regular passage of soldiers and merchants in particular, between the countries. This cross border activity was increased regularly because the kings of England, also laid claim to being the kings of France. Some such as the famous King Henry Vth, took considerable time out to prove their point, holding large areas of France under their sovereignty. The first known recording is probably that of Jacobus de Troye who appears in the rolls for the city of London in 1273. He is also recorded as James de Troys, and this is one of the earliest examples of the use of 'James' as a personal name. The surname has always been quite well recorded in the city of London. Examples from the Napoleonic Period include William Troy who married Eleanor Fitzgerald at St Georges Chapel, Hanover Square, Westminster, in 1793, and a few years later in 1809, that of John Troy who married Maria Moore at the same church. The name is perhaps more popular in the United States, and particularly so in the city of Boston. [link]
Black Asgard
Woodhelvennin

Post by Black Asgard »

I had always assumed he was black. I don't know why, and I never stopped to question it. It just seemed to fit for me. Not as a slur or a subtype; Hile Troy, in my head, just looks better as a black man, for some reason.
woodzter
Servant of the Land

Post by woodzter »

I can remember reading something because there was a spot in the book where I made the conclusion that he was black. I accept from all the other comments I have read here that SRD may not have specifically indicated that-cause c'mon, this is Kevin's Watch, and if it was there plainly someone would have found it. On the other hand, for so many of us to have assumed that- there is some nugget back there. Weird. Wonder if it's just the way he speaks? HMMmmmmm. Makes me want to "go back In" to find out for myself.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I never saw him as being black, but upon finding this thread, I can definitely picture him as being black . . . it seems fitting. It will be interesting to see what happens to my imagination when I pick TIW back up, as I am currently reading it.

To be honest, I always pictured him as Travis Tritt for some reason. But on this read, I did not pick up on any mention of a beard, so I wiped the beard off of Travis Tritt, and now I see the blind guy off of Roadhouse.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

I always pictured him white. And bald. And fairly short. Not sure if this comes from the text or not. I imagined that Caer-Caveral was really tall though.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”