Rogue Trader - Port Wander

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Lt. Commander Zarkov wrote:

[ooc]If you want to add a possible dialogue here I can split the post later.[/ooc]
[This won't be necessary - I'm satisfied with the presentation of your plan enough that no confusion arises. I made a Command check for Zarkov, with a major bonus because of what you did and how you phrased things (as well as a small bonus due to Zarkov still being considered the defacto captain). The result is that the number of volunteers who added their names to the list is better than expected. Although most of the names will have to be drawn by lottery, you have had a decent impact upon the officers. The long term effects of this will not be discussed at this point, though they will likely begin to surface when the vessel is underway. Factor Kerr will send thanks for your offer, but he informs you that he will not be coming on the journey himself. Instead, another representative of Alid-Yuril will lead their men, though their identity has not been disclosed yet.]
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Navigator Praetus entered the navigator's pit - a small room despite its importance, but decorated richly to denote this. A single pale light barely illuminated everything, and so the engravings of the Emperor, Saint Drusus, an Amphael and the Acquila appeared sombre and unexpectedly muted. It was difficult to even see the Hexagrammatic Wards spaced equally about the walls. The light, however, did not fail to illuminate the Navigator's Chair - a high-backed leather and metal object that resembled the throne of some high techpriest of Mars. Tubes and gleaming metal appendages descended from the chair and terminated in the circular mesh grating at the base, from which could be seen ancient machinery, gleaming with hidden and dangerous powers.

The chair was placed above the machinery which would open a hole and allow the immaterium to surround him.

Praetus took his cap off and placed it on a hook at the back of the seat. With his third eye exposed, he sat down and began activating the navigation equipment. Names only known to the powerful navigator families entered his mind like old friends: the sextynt, which determined the vessel's position relative to the stars; the illuminati cogniseer, which - when the warp field was activated - measured drift from the Emperor's Beacon, and so enabled him to correct the vessel's passage; the immateria aestus, the tool that measured warp tides; and most importantly, the immateria ventus, which measured the winds and currents of the warp, so that the ship could benefit from currents that would speed it along or escape from fierce warp storms.

With a single flick, he switched on a spherical holographic display. The chamber was illuminated by a deep green glow, and bright icons drifted in the silent air. Praetus reached out and touched the symbol denoting Port Wander, and then with a small sweeping gesture, cut through the light with a pointing finger. He described a path to Footfall, passing near The Battleground and straight between The Temple and The Hermitage. In response, a dotted, glowing green line followed his movement. The navigator then touched Footfall again, and the dotted line become solid. He flicked the switch again and the display vanished.

In his mind he calculated the location of Terra, using parallax vectors published in his copy of Navis Angulus Astra.

"Angulus alpha Port Wander, three two." He intoned. "Angulus beta Tarmund, ninety. Angulus ceta Harleigh, three zero zero. Invocation of the Sines to obtain the distance to Terra." Praetus then entered numbers on the keypad on the right arm of the chair. Beneath him, the warp technology rumbled into life, the air sizzling with energy.

Praetus opened his third eye and waited to see the Emperor's Beacon shining through the immaterium.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung fixes his gaze on the thug. The Arch-Militant stares with silent, cold menace, subtly indicating the exit, giving the ganger the chance to run. The ganger's throat dries in fear as he glances at the exit and at his opponent. And at the gun.

[An Intimidate check with a +20 bonus due to the situation. A failure by a few points]

He makes the wrong decision.

The ganger dives for the stub revolver; Drak-Kung pulls his guns free with lightning reflexes.

A short hail of three bolt shells in the space of a few seconds fills the bar with deafening cracks. Tiles explode and fill the air with dust and splinters of plas-crete; the revolver goes off and smashes a window to shards just as blood and torn flesh erupts in gouts. The ganger jerks back bodily, thrown with the force of a boltgun, crashing through chairs and tables, and trailing tails of crimson. He collapses, dead.

Drak-Kung assesses the situation and makes sure that he was not hit - the ganger only got off one shot before being killed by a bolt shell. Two bloody ruptures puncture the ganger's breasts, but Drak-Kung is unharmed.

As some patrons rush out in a daze, and others take cover behind tables, it slowly becomes apparent to all that the fight is over.

[At this point, Drak-Kung pays for the damages, and is able to collect the wounded Ketch. Ketch is in no state to resist, though he will spit blood at you and curse wildly. You have two options here - you can either turn Ketch into the local Arbitrators, and receive a small reward; or you could spend a little longer and turn him into whichever local gang leader wants his head the most - in which case your reward will be slightly higher.

You may continue to hunt for Hale afterwards, if you like, though your investigation is not certain to prove fruitful
]
Last edited by Montresor on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Injerian Praetus II wrote: Praetus opened his third eye and waited to see the Emperor's Beacon shining through the immaterium.
Praetus toils for hours, plotting a route into the Maw and through the Passage. He perceives future possibilities, or perhaps reverberations from the past; the present melding with limitless possibilities in the tumult of the Warp. Although he will need to repeat the process just before entering the tempests near the Maw, Praetus is satisfied that he can describe a relatively safe current in the Warp.

So absorbed in his work, Senior Navigator Praetus barely notices that the former Acting Senior Navigator, Gulliame Du Preste, waits for a moment to speak.

The man has his cowl down. For the first time, the two navigators perceive each other's third eyes with naked vision. Du Preste resembles something of a skeleton, draped in weathered-flesh. His bony fingers trace the path which Praetus has chosen. Navigating the Warp has taken its toll on Du Preste, and it is clear that the taint in the Navigator's blood has been strong in him.

'To the Battleground? This is a bold voyage we make. If you feel that you can take us to this place with no more stops after we enter the Maw, then I shall not question your judgement. Have you ever seen the depths of the Void where the Light of the Golden Throne has not yet shone? I have. I revel in the freedom'.

Du Preste watches Praetus. With the skin naturally drawn taut around his eyes, it is not clear whether he does this casually or not. He adds, almost as an afterthought - 'and, of course, I revel in helping the servants of the Imperium spread that Light', though his words sound false.

[If Praetus is decided on just one stop between the Maw and Footfall (being the Battleground), then Du Preste will kindly inform the Captain of your projection. A mere formality]

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

OOC--I do have to be back at the ship in time...if I can comfortably make gang contacts within the time I have, I'll do that. If not, give him to the po-po.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung wrote:OOC--I do have to be back at the ship in time...if I can comfortably make gang contacts within the time I have, I'll do that. If not, give him to the po-po.
[You'll have just enough time to turn Ketch over to the gangers, who will promptly end his miserable existence in a rundown waste tunnel, begging for his life. You are thanked and handed the bounty. The money is decent, though it's a small sum compared to what you are usually able to get. However, if you are back in Port Wander, and need to deal with the underworld here again, the Trolt'n Runners will have you in their good books.

As for your player reward, PM me with your choice. You can either add 10 Achievement points to the current party Endeavour, or get a +2 bonus on your next Acquisition Roll. As I said, Ketch was seriously small time
]

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

"Sir, the Clan heads await your presence in the garden."

The old wooden voice of his head house servant didn't pull Garrius away from the note he was scribbling. As he finished he signed and then sealed it with the Amphael seal. He looked up from behind is large polished wood desk.

"Thank you LeVatch, your excellent service of the last few days is noted." Garrius stood, handing the note to the old family servant. "See that my chief Seneschal gets this. As for my guests, I shall see them now, have lunch brought to our table immediately."

Garrius walked out into the garden of his lodgings. Though small by planet side standards, it was amazing that the crew service staff could tend such a garden inside the confines of the frigate. Despite this, Garrius had only a passing appreciation for this, the subtleties of the skill involved in gardening being beyond him.

He came to the table laid out for his meeting with the clan heads, where were all seated around the table chatting amongst themselves. Arriving, Garrius made his way around the table introducing himself. This was his first taste of the ratings of his ship, and he tried hard to present himself astutely as a man worth respecting. All the clan heads seemed like ratings and crew he had seen on other ships else where, other than one old blind woman, who managed to make Garrius feel remarkably at unease.

Enjoying lunch and mixing small chat Garrius tried to gauge the feeling of his audience. Once lunch was done, he cut to the job at hand.

"Crew, I have gathered you here today to make an announcement. As you know we have been approached by a merchant consortium to complete a task. As of last night I accepted the deal they presented us with and as such in the coming days we shall be setting off on a mission worthy of the Invictus Aeterna and its crew." Garrius looked around those seated and took a deep breath.

"Now while I cannot go into detail as to the Whys, I can tell you that our task is to seek out a planet that has been lost to the Emperor and mankind for many years. The search for this lost planet shall take us into the Koronus Expanse. Something I believe this ship has never done before." He stopped to take a sip of wine.

"Also, to add to this, it shall take us right through to the Warp Shoals, deep within the Expanse." He noted several of the seated guests expressions changing. Not everyone was pleased, as he had expected.

" I am aware that such a task is daunting, indeed some have said foolish. But I have utter and complete faith in The Invictus Aeterna and you, its crew. Were I on a lesser ship I would never attempt such a quest, but my faith in you all as well as this majestic vessel is such that I feel the time is nigh for the Amphael crest to be carried into the unknown once again. With your help, I intend to find this lost planet." He let the news sink in.

"No doubt you all wish to return to your clans and inform them of this news. I imagine that some will not relish the task, but I ask of you to keep morale high and guide them well in these times. Finally, we set off in little over two days, so as of now all shore leave is cancelled for all ratings and officers, unless of official business. I need all hands available for when we ship out of port. Any questions? No? Very well, see you all in the Expanse"
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Montresor wrote:'To the Battleground? This is a bold voyage we make. If you feel that you can take us to this place with no more stops after we enter the Maw, then I shall not question your judgement. Have you ever seen the depths of the Void where the Light of the Golden Throne has not yet shone? I have. I revel in the freedom'.

Du Preste watches Praetus. With the skin naturally drawn taut around his eyes, it is not clear whether he does this casually or not. He adds, almost as an afterthought - 'and, of course, I revel in helping the servants of the Imperium spread that Light', though his words sound false.

[If Praetus is decided on just one stop between the Maw and Footfall (being the Battleground), then Du Preste will kindly inform the Captain of your projection. A mere formality]
Navigator Praetus swiveled the chair to face Du Preste, reaching for his cap as he did so and placing it on his head. He then pulled it down so that it covered his third eye. "I do not see the need, Du Preste. This course is flawless. Now that you are here," Praetus said with a grim smile, "I would like you to inform Garrius Amphael of the projection. I have arranged the ship to exit the warp on the outskirts of Footfall. Once we are finished there, I will plot the next stage. Until then, this new Amphael will have to content himself with my work. Go." The navigator waved a dismissive gesture.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Injerian Praetus II wrote: "I would like you to inform Garrius Amphael of the projection. I have arranged the ship to exit the warp on the outskirts of Footfall. Once we are finished there, I will plot the next stage. Until then, this new Amphael will have to content himself with my work. Go." The navigator waved a dismissive gesture.
Du Preste nods, almost discretely. His hideous, corpse-face does not register any surprise or discomfort at being talked down to. Praetus has the fleeting sensation that he has just done exactly what the mysterious navigator wished him to. The name Du Preste stirs some memory of the Senior Navigator, though he cannot quite place its significance.

Du Preste departs to inform the Lord-Captain.

[Du Preste will simply inform the captain of Praetus's projection and depart without any further comment on it]

Return to “Rogue Trader”