Darkwood--Darkness Rising

Moderator: Seven Words

Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"Should one of us stay behind to guard the items we wish to disperse after? Others may yet come through the portal, and we know not where all of these tunnels lead..."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Sigrid
Giantfriend

Post by Sigrid »

"We came into these caves to seek shelter from the blizzard raging outside. That has to end before we can do anything outside."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik nods. "I feel it behooves us to apportion out what the dragon held, as we will not be leaving for a little while...perhaps a large while."
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The bard collects all she has found and brings it to the gathered party, kneeling down next to the collection of items and describing each one as she places it next to the magical items Vynarkus collected.

"Here is a nice mithril chess set, the board is made of obsidian and ivory.
"This is a breathtaking large mosaic set in a frame, and sealed, of some elaborate fantastic city among trees.
"And here is a lovely tiara of gold and silver. It might go nicely with my gown, should that day ever come that we go to Court somewhere...
"One lovely hand mirror, the frame and handle is cast of platinum, with diamonds inset. To better see oneself in the tiara, perhaps?
"A man's rugged bracelet, braided like a rope with strands of steel, gold, silver and copper.
"A dagger scabbard, silver worked with emeralds and moonstones. I have not looked to see if a blade is contained within.
"One cloak clasp, mithril and adamantine framing a diamond.
"A gold signet ring. It looks like the crest of the Ferritis family, nobles in Sverdhame. Tales say about 350 years ago, their young, brash heir went following some supposed treasure map. The Baron died, and the ring was magically teleported to him....he never returned with it.
"A large ivory tusk. Just look at these carvings and the dyed colors to make it appear as if there are vines and flowers climbing it!
"A silver-coated polar bear skull, with quartz eyes bearing ruby pupils. Perhaps a sacred object for the Volk?
"This set of 9 map or scroll cases is beautiful, with this silver filigree with tiny garnets. I have not yet opened them to see what may be inside...
"Look at this matching spear and greataxe set! So tiny, the spear is no longer than a foot in length. Such beautiful silver hafts, mithril heads, and frusvolk carvings on them."

Drawing out the next item with a flourish, the bard continues, "This may have some meaning for you, Sigrid," said with a bow towards the cleric. "Here is an incense burner of elaborate gold work, inset with 4 star sapphires. Note the platinum symbol of the Unknowable on it?
"Still another religious icon, here is a 2 foot tall bronze sculpture of Valkhan
"This appears to be a walrus hide leather belt, with polar bear fur trim, goldwork on the buckle, and silver studs.
"This next piece is breathtaking: an onxy statue...an elf, short sword in one hand, a ball of flames in the palm of his other hand. Does it have any meaning to you, Skyseeker?
"And finally, a statue of a legendary beast..a ki-rin..it appears to have been carved out of some manner of black ivory, with a mithril horn, white ivory mane and tail, and silver hooves."

The bard takes a small breath, then continues.

"Regarding the magic items Vynarkus detected and gathered, I can determine a little. I know nothing of the shield, ring, nor longbow. However," as she holds up the small red stone, "this is an Ioun Stone. It will float around one's head and reinforce you in some way. I am unsure of this stone's effect though."

As she rifles through the book, Laurel grins slightly. "This is interesting.

"This book, though magic...well maybe because it is magic, is readable by anyone. Even if the person reading it is illiterate. Whoever reads it and follows the directions within will gain a permanent enhancement to an attribute. Again, I do not know off hand which attribute or how strong an enhancement it will give, though Vynarkus did tell us he felt it was a very strong transmutation item.

"It will only work once, though. So deciding who may benefit from reading it should be carefully weighed, once it is known what is effects."

Setting the book down, the bard next hefts the rod. "This is a Lesser Rod. It will apply some sort of enhancement to lower level spells."

Finally, the bard picks up the Dire Flail with a soft whistle. "Now this...
"I barely recognize this, but songs and tales do speak of it.

"This is Norkkun's Screaming Wraith Slayer. The great Volk warrior Norkkun led his clan against an Undead army. The tales say his flail was powerfully enchanted. It screamed and crashed like thunder when fighting, the thunder also blasting the enemy. It also has the power to smite even insubstantial enemies, such as the wraiths he triumphed over at the last."

The bard looks again at the cleric. "If you can help me probe these items further, perhaps you and I can split them and attempt to identify the uses and strength of each of these items. Although I must wait until at least tomorrow, unless I choose to try to learn more of one of these by drawing upon a more powerful spell's resource within me..."

Drawing back from the items, Laurel addresses the others. "I would like to state interest in the Flame Arrow Oil, the Wand of Silence, and perhaps some of the scrolls, as well as some of the healing potions. Other than that, none of these items particularly speak to me, without learning more of the uses of the magic items. If we can take the time to research the magic items more, before decisions regarding them are made, I think that may be best. As an archer, I would particularly like to learn more of the longbow...

"That said, unless any of the more mundane items speaks to any of us, I would like to suggest selling them, and splitting the profits among ourselves to then purchase items we may need, when we finally happen upon a decent size market. The Ferritis are still around; they may pay well for the signet ring alone. And who knows if they may know of any of these other items?

"It may slow us down a little as we travel, but we could probably distribute the items among the horses and Hardy's loads, so we are not hindered ourselves should we need to leave the horses somewhere safe and move quickly."

Laurel remains kneeling, and looks up at the others, awaiting their response.
Last edited by Laurel on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker hisses, and makes a warding gesture against evil as she looks at the statue...."That is the Dark Prince himself...Calathiri of old. Many of these were made, his third century mark....but within 50 years, he would plunge our people into bloody war, wrack, and ruin. I have no use for it" her lip curls in distaste, "nor would any elf." Her gaze turns to the framed mosaic, and she stares, speechless..."This....this...this is...Jao-u-Zid-Heyatiin, Jewel of the Sky Glory in Trees....lost capitol of my people..from the very heart of the Golden Wood...". The fantastic detail makes buildings evident, s she mutters names of places under her breath, hand nearly touching the glassy seal as she traces them.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"Shall we make one more pyre, and burn this statue then?" the bard asks Skyseeker. "Or is there no evil implied in attempting to sell it to an art collector?

"Unless only those interested in his dark ways would be prospective buyers?"

Seeing the elf's astonishment at the mosaic, Laurel again addresses her. "If no one else has any reason to claim this, perhaps this should be yours to decide its fate..."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"An onyx statue wouldn't burn in a normal fire. It was formed in the earth's firey bowels already. We could smash it, but not burn it. At any rate, if it's not actually magical or cursed, I say we should sell it and use the man's evil to bring about some measure of good in the world. Destroying the thing isn't good enough."

"I think that, as our quest continues, there will come more and more situations where we're interacting with those of higher stations. I hate to be this vain, but it's likely that some King or noble somewhere would refuse to speak to a group of poorly dressed commoners at his door. But, one wearing a diamond broach on his cloak, and another in a tiara, with a third in a gold bracelet... these may be deemed worthy to enter the lord's presence."

"On the other hand, there's little value to us of a decorative bear's skull or a large mosaic. And they'll be fairly bulky to carry. To our sadness, we now have Barak's horse without its rider, and the mounts of the fallen Volk. If Sigrid will allow us to borrow them, I think we can take all this with us long enough to turn it into a more portable form of wealth."

"I myself am interested in:
Potion of Cat's Grace
Potion of Greater Magic Fang +3
The diamond cloak clasp
The 9 map / scroll cases"

"I maintain that the healing potions should dominantly go to myself and Marrik, since we are the ones most likely to take damage. There are, of course, exceptions to that, so some potions should go to the others. But an even distribution would put us all in danger."

"I'm tentatively interested in the stone and the book, and perhaps some of the other items. It depends on what the magic ends up being. I have no training with weapons, but a sufficiently enchanted bow might be just as useful to me as a normal bow in a Laurel's hands."

(OOC - non-proficiency grants a -4 penalty. A +4 weapon would balance that, plus give extra damage, sonic damage, other benefits, and count as "magic" for purposes of beating Damage Reduction.)
Sigrid
Giantfriend

Post by Sigrid »

"My companions preferred to walk. They said that only women ride horses."

"I can help you identify these items. I can do one of them now, and three more once I've prayed to Rrzknth this evening."

"Norkkun's Screaming Writh Slayer is known to me. Any clan chief would give up his whole village for this weapon, and more. The other items are only important because they're valuable. The incense burner could be from a temple of the Unknowable, I suppose. It's not sacred, but I'd like to have it. I would use it in my prayers." I smile sheepishly, "And the belt would look quite fetching. I expect that I'll find this rod very useful, as well."

I cast Identify on the rod.
Sigrid
Giantfriend

Post by Sigrid »

Sigrid wrote:I cast Identify on the rod.
"This is a Lesser Rod of Empower Spell. It is very much useful to me. May I keep it?"
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"I see no reason why not." Led replies. Then, thinking of the blizzard raging outside, he sighs heavily. "I don't think we'll be doing much else for the rest of the day. We might as well set up camp here, split up the non-magical items, and take care of the horses. This evening, Sigrid can identify more of the items, and in the morning Laurel can take care of yet still more of them while the funeral pyres are releasing our friends."

He stares at the ground, then. "Depending on how cold it is, we may end up having to camp here tomorrow night, and then we can start out the night afterwards. Hopefully, whoever sent this dragon to stop us can't get someone else here in only a few days time. Else, we may need to kill another one on short notice, with four fewer combattants."

With that, he goes to the horses and starts to unload the tents and equipment.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The Bard looks after the Heshic Scout, then glances again at the Cleric and at the Warlock. "You have been silent after telling us what you detected, Vynarkus. I had mentioned I wanted some of the scrolls, but I am sure the one with the Divine spells would be more effective in Sigrid's hands than yours or mine. That leaves the two Arcane scrolls. Do you want either of them? If I must choose, I would prefer the second you described to the first but as I have already laid claim to some of the potions and the wand of Silence, as well as to the tiara, I would like to hear your thoughts."

Turning to Marrik and Skyseeker, Laurel asks, "You have not answered if you wish to keep the mosaic, Skyseeker. And neither of you have expressed interest in anything here for yourselves." Looking again towards Led, she continues, "I too have an interest in the book and the bow. I would like to be able to take aim at a target at a greater range. But I would like to know more about the bow before I lay claim to it. Same for the book. I am quite weak in some ways and in other ways my strengths can always use a boost. But if we should find the book will help another of the party even more, then that should be taken under consideration.

"No one has mentioned the ring nor the shield at all. A shield would mostly get in my way and add unneeded weight. Again, I wish to learn more of the ring before making a decision on it.

"Skyseeker, do you want any of these non-magical items? The mirror or the tiara? I would like the tiara, as I have stated, but you have been so quiet since seeing the mosaic...

"Marrik, as a Chosen of Missaryi, I know not what among these items would interest you. Except perhaps for the flail. But so far, Led has been asked to give up every weapon he had laid claim to, and, so far, he has conceded to the wishes of the others. You do have your axe. Could we allow Led to carry, and use the dire flail if need be? At least until we come upon a chieftain who may make it worth the party's while to part with it?"

While waiting for the others to voice their selections, if any, the Bard makes her way over to the Scout unloading the horses and wraps her arms around him from behind, whispering quietly in his ear. "I know you are far away from the plains, and coming across Barak brought you brief joy in traveling with a fellow horseman. Even if he did need to relearn much that he had forgotten," she teased lightly. "Is there anything prior to his cremation I can do to honor him? Or anything I can do to help prepare him for his journey beyond? Is there a hymn you may wish to teach me to sing as his soul flies forth?"

Letting go of her embrace, she helps unload the horses and pitch camp, sidling closer when she can. "Will you allow me to comfort you this night?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Laurel wrote:"I know you are far away from the plains, and coming across Barak brought you brief joy in traveling with a fellow horseman. Even if he did need to relearn much that he had forgotten," she teased lightly. "Is there anything prior to his cremation I can do to honor him? Or anything I can do to help prepare him for his journey beyond? Is there a hymn you may wish to teach me to sing as his soul flies forth?"
"Our custom is to watch silently, as his body releases his spirits in the fire. So there are no songs to sing then. But, to honor him after that, the best we can do is to continue his quest. Keep to his example. He saw a stranger in need, and he stepped forward to help. We honor him whenever we do the same."
Laurel wrote:Letting go of her embrace, she helps unload the horses and pitch camp, sidling closer when she can. "Will you allow me to comfort you this night?"
"Yes. I think I will. And we will share some of Barak's smoking herb, around the fire. But, when this blizzard is done, and our duty to the fallen is finished, I'm very anxious to get going." He sighed again and looked at the ground. "My master always said that grief was best born in work. But we're stuck here with nothing else we can do for a day, at least, maybe two. That's how grief takes you over, and turns into dispair."
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Reaching up to cup Led's chin, the bard gives him a soft kiss then turns back towards the others who are still gathered around the dragon's treasure. "You're silence is puzzling, Vynarkus, but I will take that to mean you have no interest in either of the arcane scrolls and will claim them also for myself," as she reached forward and slid them in to her quiver along with the others. "You have shown some competency at tricking divine scrolls when you healed me earlier with one, so I will let you and Sigrid choose between you and be satisfied with these two."
Led Pighp wrote:He sighed again and looked at the ground. "My master always said that grief was best born in work. But we're stuck here with nothing else we can do for a day, at least, maybe two. That's how grief takes you over, and turns into despair."
The bard turned back to Led at his words. "If the blizzard still rages tomorrow, and I have no need for my other spells that are on a level of power as the Song of Knowledge, I can attempt to learn more on as many as five more of these magic items. But each item will take an hour each to get them to reveal themselves to me, and I will probably wish a short break to refresh myself between each song.

"Other than listening to me sing, there is not much you can do to help me as I do this. But, it can be lonely work for a bard. I would be glad for your company, if we have the time for me to do so tomorrow..."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik looks at the magic items, and says, "The ring may interest me, depending upon its enchantment, but I would like the shield, as the one I presently have is wholly mundane. The book interests me not. The Magic Fang potion would be of no use to anyone but you, Led, of course it should be yours. Laurel, I would suggest that if the bow's enchantments prove sufficient to balance your lack of skill, you take it. Thus, though you would be no more likely to hit a foe, should they be warded against weapons, you would be able to strike telling blows...." he pauses, the tough scales of Marrowrime blunting or defeating hits time and again obvious though unstated. I would recommend that the wands and scrolls be apportioned among our mystics. While I myself COULD possibly make use of the divine scrolls, my aptitude for such is near naught." he finishes with a self-deprecating grin.

Skyseeker opines, "I would be interested in the ring, and perhaps the stone as well. The mosaic...It would mean a great deal to me" she pauses to collect herself as her eyes once more rest upon it, "to have this vision of what once my people made before we near-destroyed ourselves."
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Laurel smiled at the elf's evident longing. "I see no reason why you shouldn't keep the mosaic then." Turning to Sigrid, she inquires further. "Are you able to learn more about any of these items now? Or shall we wait until after our meal and camp is fully pitched? It seems there is interest in the ring, the book, and the stone among several of us. I will gladly aid in learning what we can of them by singing my Song of Knowledge, but again, it must wait until tomorrow."

Looking once more at the Warlock, the bard shakes her head in puzzlement. "Still silent, Vynarkus? You surprise me."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Sigrid
Giantfriend

Post by Sigrid »

Laurel wrote:"Are you able to learn more about any of these items now? Or shall we wait until after our meal and camp is fully pitched?
"I have done all that I may until after my evening prayers. Then I will be able to learn of three more. If you can research five more after breakfast tomorrow, that should be enough. I fear that we'll be here two more nights afore we're ready to leave, but it can't be helped."
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus, rather than discuss the items, has been trying on the non-magical clothing to check its relative size, has looked inside the scroll cases and dagger sheath, has checked the miniature weapon set to see if they are sharp, and has sat in silence for a few minutes, contemplating the items and what Laurel has said about them in an attempt to figure out what he might put to best use.

"Depending on what attribute the book increases, I may want it, but everyone else has expressed interest in it as well.
"I personally would like the Ioun stone, and would like to make an experiment with the Lesser Rod, which, if successful, would mean I would one of its three daily uses each day.
"Finally, while not particularly interested in any of the spells inscribed on it, it may be wise for me to take the more powerful scroll, as I believe I am the only one capable of using it."

After making this speech, he goes to the horses, and pulls out the warded scrolls found on the Necromancer. "Sigrid, these are protected by a password, and would likely kill us all if opened without it. We have not yet been able to determine what the word might be, and I was wondering if you have any ideas...
"...Or if any of you have remembered anything that might help us open them since our last attempt."

Looking at the dragon, and his icy sword, Vynarkus turns last to Skyseeker. "Having managed to channel the elements through my blasts, I believe it would be useful to have a choice of either fire or ice. May I ask you to part with one of your javelins?"
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker shakes her head. "These bear not only magics of fire, but are doubly enchanted as well. I have no other weapons of breaching foes protections, and I have but three javelins. I'd not wish to be unable to harm a foe after but a few seconds of combat."

OOC---unless anyone else wants to say/do something, we'll skip to next morning, identifying, etc
Sigrid
Giantfriend

Post by Sigrid »

"I would be happy to look over this scroll."

(ooc) - Let's skip to the morning. I can do the identifying them. - (/ooc)
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus nods at Skyseeker, and smiles somewhat sadly. "Ah well. I thought you had more, but if you only have three, I do not blame you for not parting with them."

Vynarkus glances at Sigrid. "Are you referring to the divine scroll, or the password-protected scrolls I asked you for help with?
"Naturally, you can keep the divine one, but I believe our previous distribution of the protected scrolls is best. It helps avoid confusion if items stay with the same people.
"...And may I have the Rod of Empower for a minute to try my experiment?"

[ooc]Depending on whether or not there is anything inside the scroll cases, it may be a good idea to put the scrolls inside them.
Or it may have drawbacks. I'm not sure.[/ooc]

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”