Acropolis 1.0 - Rules, Comments, and Q&A

Moderator: Goatkiller666

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Received Virelai's. No word from Aeon, Diana, or Kai.

Also, no contest entries. How disappointing. Well, at least no one can complain now about the rules.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

So, I realize that life comes up, and if the Autarch is working on life stuff it's totally valid that he not have the turn results back to us yet. That said, we're coming up on the point where we'll have to cram in our next turn's decisions and negotiations with each other into a couple days, in order to submit by the Feb 28th deadline.

Are we looking at a deadline extension? Just skip the Feb 28th deadline and aim for March 31st?
Follower of Azver, friend to all in Twinsriver, and person who can get stuff done.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'll have the results out soon, I think. Might have something of a lacuna for March, though. Sorry. I'll try to make up for it. Offhand, would anybody be interested in a reboot? We've been getting steadily lower on the number of players, and I think I just might have an interesting addition to the rules, giving players the opportunity to be heroes instead of Gods (with equal advantages and disadvantages). *shrug* Up to you guys.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

Just when it's getting interesting???

Why not bring heroes into this game? Similar rules to High Priests?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I could go either way with continue or reboot. If it comes down to me being the deciding vote, I'll figure it out. After you give more info on the heroes, though.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The idea for the heroes is basically the way a lot of people are playing their high priests. Half god, half man, Lots of influence locally, one or two 'special powers.' The powers wouldn't be like most X-men or Heroes powers, but along those of Hercules, Achilles, and so forth - normal human traits amped up, maybe a magical item. That kind of thing.

I also wouldn't mind having some demigod type figures. Nymphs, satyrs, and so forth. There's a lot of good area outside of the city proper that isn't seeing any action. Like minor manifested gods that don't have any influence outside of a very limited area, can't enter the city, etc.
-George Steiner
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Sounds good.

Oops what am I doing here? I don't play this game!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

It seems that several players have dropped. Perhaps you COULD be playing this game.

In terms of the continue vs. rewind, I would accept either way. As long as there's SOMETHING.
Follower of Azver, friend to all in Twinsriver, and person who can get stuff done.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ok, one of you got your results early (by accident). Two more are done. The rest are waiting for numbers to be converted into words.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I think my answer is fairly predictable for me regarding a reboot: I hate change.

I don't mind the idea of incorporating heroes and/or demi-gods into the current game. But I really struggle coming up with new concepts, although I would do my best if a reboot is chosen by everyone else.

I'll admit I had to look up "lacuna." But you did warn us that once the semester started processing may slow down. School is more important, IMO. And other games have taken even longer between turns at times. Do what you need to do to keep the game at the level it's been at, and I'll be happy. Even with waits in between. :hearts:
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

A very interesting turn all around. Good work, all. If anyone doesn't have their results or has questions, let me know.

Ok, it looks like we'll keep on keeping on. Do you want to wait to submit again at the end of this month, or do you want to wait one and try the new additions, maybe with some new players?
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I would like to submit on the 28th; going two months without when it is becoming interesting ("cats in heat," ...bah!! sounds like a lot of basic scale technique, as well as other basic issues, is in order) would feel like torture. But during the month we could possibly work on adding new rules and players to take effect at the end of March?
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

Yeah. What she said. Submit this turn as normal, add people / new rules during March.
Colu
Ramen

Post by Colu »

I could certainly go by the 28th.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I also need to make it clear, again, I think, that you only get one free non-DSP action per turn. Any and all other non-DSP actions need to be posted publicly in some way. The only exceptions are the use of artifacts (including divine ones) or continuing with or stopping a previous non-DSP action. Notice I didn't include investment in the exceptions.

Also, I'd really like to see more in-game communication. I know it's been hard with the delay this month, but considering you're guaranteed a turn every month, it'd be nice to see some orange when I look towards GT. Unless you're all doing the behind-the-scenes bit, in which case, you're making the Autarch cry. :mrgreen:

Tell you what. If I see some good forum participation, I'll start giving some CH's. Same rules still apply for asking for them, though.
-George Steiner
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

I"m good for the 28th as well.

I love the idea of heroes.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Cool.

I suppose I should explain a bit more of what I expect from the non-DSP public submission. By now, most of you have received word of what another player is doing, either from your efforts of observation or because it is within the sphere of influence of your domain. Unless it really affects you, it's usually brief and not all that illuminating, being just enough to let you know something you might want to look into is going on. The history thread isn't much different, just more general.

So, when you want to do more than one non-DSP action, you have to save me the trouble of telling people about it. It doesn't have to be long, thoroughly explained, or the whole truth. It just has to be something a casual observer might notice.

Which means... if you're doing something stealthy, you either have to use DSP or tell me it's your free non-DSP action. And no, sending minions to spy on various players each turn probably won't work. :mrgreen:
-George Steiner
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

28th? If you're not TOO strict then I'll do my best....
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

Let me get this straight. If I want to do more than one non-dsp move, I have to write about it in the threads?
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

Syl wrote:The idea for the heroes is basically the way a lot of people are playing their high priests. Half god, half man, Lots of influence locally, one or two 'special powers.' The powers wouldn't be like most X-men or Heroes powers, but along those of Hercules, Achilles, and so forth - normal human traits amped up, maybe a magical item. That kind of thing.

I also wouldn't mind having some demigod type figures. Nymphs, satyrs, and so forth. There's a lot of good area outside of the city proper that isn't seeing any action. Like minor manifested gods that don't have any influence outside of a very limited area, can't enter the city, etc.
So, just so's I'm clear on this... these are additional types of character, right? Or are they also available as minions for actual deities?

Return to “Acropolis 1.0”