Setup Fatigue!

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Setup Fatigue!

Post by peter »

Had a pc with someone (who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent) who said the Last Chrons are suffering with two problems i) Linden being the central charachter (OK that I understand even if I don't 100% agree) and ii) Setup Fatigue. Can anyone run their idea of what is meant by this by me, and also whether they agree or not that it is a problem in the last two books.
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I think setup is an important aspect of SRD's writings... it is what makes the endings important and powerful. But sometimes some readers can not handle it(e.g. the GAP series) I think such attitudes are tragic because that really limits the spectrum of books one can enjoy.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

It could also mean that the same set-up is being used (and re-used) over the whole chronicles again and again. Thus some developments become predictable and it's simply tiring to read on from these points.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

so far i havent seen it.. I Liked Runes, I am now Loving Fatal Revenant, sure some of the set ups like meeting Giants while fighting or on the run. the Tree being destroyed with woodhelvenin homeless. a few other things maybe but i cant bring them to mind, but so far I am loving the last chronicles, and havent seen much that remindes me of the First/second chrons, but Im not a writer either so maybe my senses are dulled to it. .. Considering I havent gotten to see the Real TC yet.. I think the story is going along really well.. I havent read the first chapter of AATE yet but soon. its unfortunate that some people are bored so easily with similar story lines or setups, Im glad im not one. I hope its not ruined for you or lost much of its shine. being over analytical can ruin a great story sometimes.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Blackhawk, your attitude is commendable. I'm trying to read the Last Chronicles for the simple joy of it, too, which is why I haven't participated much in the Runes and FR forums. And I only joined the AATE forum to put in my 2 cents on the opening chapter before things got too crazy in here. Everyone can have their say on the Last Chrons, of course. I've voiced a criticism of FR, too (the re-appearance of the Giants), though at the end of the day that's a mild complaint in the face of all that is good about FR. But I did not sign up at KW to be an antagonist to SRD. That's not my gig. It just seems difficult for many to enjoy the ride because they're too busy picking at the dirt under the seat. But if that's their gig, so be it.

To answer peter's question: "setup fatigue" seems a self-explanatory phrase to me, unless there's some trick being played here. And no, it's not a problem for me in the Last Chronicles. SRD's setup only bothered me in the sense that it made me very impatient to read the next book, which meant he succeeded in hooking me.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

You know, I wonder now if the problem I've been having with the Last Chronicles has to do with the fact that this is the first time I'm reading a SRD series as he's writing the books. And I have to wait 3 years between each book.

The first two trilogies and the Gap series...I just flew through.

But yeah, I donno, I would probably also describe the first two books in the Last Chronicles as kind of setup-y. I can't quite put my finger on why, though. Like I said, I never had a problem with the setup in the Gap. I just tore my way through those books.

-jay
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

There's something very different about waiting for each book - it could have something to do with the setup fatigue thought.

But, as has been said, SRD's novels have always had a lot of set up. The Gap series is a case in point, but I still can't think of a series that has rocked me so much. The point is, it's worth the setup.

If you want to look at a seres with serious setup - look at Erikson's Malazan series. Every book has so much setup - I sometimes find it tedius, but I know that it will be well worth it in the end. This is the same philosophy I have for SRD. I have no reason to think that the Last Chronicles will be disappointing based on his previous work. And I'm going to go with that!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

kevinswatch wrote:You know, I wonder now if the problem I've been having with the Last Chronicles has to do with the fact that this is the first time I'm reading a SRD series as he's writing the books. And I have to wait 3 years between each book.

-jay
You know what? I think you're on to something there... and this might actually explain a lot of folk's feelings towards the Last Chronicles. It's been pointed out before to those silly Linden-haters that TC whined and groaned too, why hate one character but like the other essentially the same one? And maybe it's because (in part, of course!) because of the wait. Sure, TC was a total douche, but you also didn't have to wait nine years to read about him overcoming his douchiness. Even with his other books, it was generally a wait of one year between releases. I tell friends about waiting three years for a book to come out and they think I'm insane.

But if the first chapter of AATE is any indication, it looks like it's going to be worth it! Though I'm not looking forward to this installment's cliffhanger...Argh! Four more years until closure!

...Come to think of it, I may have joined the Watch just to deal with this horrendous wait (and don't you Dark Tower readers try to one up me! :x :P )
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I've more or less made my peace with THOOLAH. I'm no longer interested in going down that avenue of discussion (or argument). Not that I'm here to stop the rest of you, by any means. :wink:

Book One of Mordant's Need (The Mirror of Her Dreams) is basically a huge setup for Book Two, while being entertaining in its own right. I'll grant that if there is a problem with the setup of the Last Chronicles, it's that it doesn't seem quite as effortless or seamless as MN's. But again, I want to wait until the last page of The Last Dark is turned before I make bold judgements about this or that deficiency in the Last Chronicles.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

hey matrixman - very good that you want to wait to read it all before criticizing this or that.. However I'm glad others haven't waited because it gives the rest of us stuff to discuss and think about!
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

I agree with jay - I think the problem is the waiting between the books - everyone is dissecting & nit-picking and postulating - all fun in thier own right, but none of us really know how the books will end, do we? I am enjoying SRD's writing style as I always have - I'll reserve judgement on the overall work until its done, even the set up parts!
Earthy
"You're afraid of yourself."

Return to “Against All Things Ending”