Neighbor follies

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Neighbor follies

Post by aliantha »

When the weather's nice, I like to keep my balcony door open, and allergies be damned. :lol: Over the winter, I got new neighbors just below my apartment -- a couple and their teenaged son. Dad likes to stand out on his balcony to smoke, and the odor drifts upward. I have never smoked, and I *really* don't want my apartment to smell like cigarettes. So I've been closing the door when I get a whiff. The problem with this solution is that then, of course, I've cut off the fresh air. Also, I tend to forget to reopen the door -- and when I finally remember, sometimes he's back out there again. :roll:

I intend to apply the ultimate solution at the end of next month -- no no no, I'm going to move when the lease is up! -- but in the meantime, any suggestions?

If it influences your answer any: I've had enough interactions with him to know that he's an ex-Marine. 8O Also, my living room has no windows -- just the balcony door.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

A fan would be helpful. Maybe one of those oscillating guys set up just outside the doorway.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Facing out, you mean, like an exhaust fan? Hmm. I have a box fan, but not one of the tall, skinny ones that I think you're talking about.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Exactly. Set it in a chair or something to get a little elevation. Or put down lower and angle it up so that it points just under the eave. (Affects more cubic feet of airspace on your balcony that way.)
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Took the words out of my coal laden mouth! :P :P :P
fall far and well Pilots!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Step 1 - Buy a tall floor lamp with no shade and a red light bulb. Put it where he can see it. When you have the door open, turn the light off. Tell your neighbor the smoking lamp is out. (this would work better if he was ex-navy, but a marine should still get it)

Step 2 - Ignore any knocks on your door after sunset, especially if your name is Roxanne.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Buy a big stinky candle whose scent you prefer to cigarette smoke smell. Light it when you open the door.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Drill a hole into the floor of your balcony and teach your cat to use it as a toilet. That will keep the balcony below unoccupied.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Syl: 8O :lol:
Vader wrote:Drill a hole into the floor of your balcony and teach your cat to use it as a toilet. That will keep the balcony below unoccupied.
Now *that* has possibilities... :twisted:

Cag: I'd have to carry the candle around with me, tho...

danlo: Sounds like it's time to give up the cancer sticks. :mrgreen:

EZ Board Survivor

Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

If you don't really care for the neighbors,
water you plants (on the balcany) whenever he lights-up!
:twisted:
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Have you tried talking to him about the problem? Maybe you could reach an understanding and he will avoid smoking at certain times of the day. I had the exact same problem - exact - I had an old drunk woman in a bed under my window doing the same thing. And I also ended up moving to escape the landlords from hell.

But how much running can we do.

Make sure the next place is a townhouse so there is no one above or below.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I had a townhouse before this place. Guy next door would sit on his stoop and smoke cigars. :roll: :lol: Same family had a party one weekend -- I think I've told this story before, but it's been awhile: A couple of guests at the party were sitting on my glider in our backyard (no fence between the yards) and dropping their beer bottles into my trash can (which I had to fish out later and dispose of properly, as the trash guys only took bagged trash). Magickmaker finally went out and asked them to please stay on their side of the yard -- and this chick went ballistic and called my daughter a racist. 8O Which, if you knew Magickmaker, is so freakin' far from reality that it was almost funny. The people who lived there apologized to us later, but...wow.

The downstairs neighbor here is the same guy who stood on his balcony and kibbitzed with Magickmaker and me in December while we dug my car out of a snowbank. He offered us the use of his snow shovel but he didn't come down to help. Didn't even offer a bogus "I'd help but my trick knee is acting up" -- just stayed upstairs and watched us work. 8O So even if I did talk to him, I wouldn't expect much in the way of cooperation.

I mean, I know I should suck it up and talk to him anyway...but, well, y'know.

EZ Board Survivor

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt regarding shoveling snow: maybe he got suckered into doing it for someone else one time, so "once bitten, twice shy."

On the other hand, you've got a first hand assessment of him, not me. So maybe he really is just a jerk. Ex-Marines or ex-cops or whomever are still capable of being a-holes. They just have the advantage that they've achieved a certain status in society that makes people respect and fear them more.

But I know you're not in awe of this guy, ali. :lol: Guess you're weighing the risk/reward: is talking to him worth the potential b.s. he's going to spout at me?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I found out during a later storm that he was sending out his teenaged son with the shovel to offer to help neighbors for a fee....
matrixman wrote:But I know you're not in awe of this guy, ali. :lol: Guess you're weighing the risk/reward: is talking to him worth the potential b.s. he's going to spout at me?
Yeah, that's basically it. Is it worth risking rattling his tree with a direct confrontation when I'll only be here for another month?

If Magickmaker were here 24/7, I would have talked to him long since, as cigarette smoke exacerbates her migraines. But she's likely not going to be back home before I move, so it's just the cat and me.

EZ Board Survivor

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

aliantha wrote: Yeah, that's basically it. Is it worth risking rattling his tree with a direct confrontation when I'll only be here for another month?

If Magickmaker were here 24/7, I would have talked to him long since, as cigarette smoke exacerbates her migraines. But she's likely not going to be back home before I move, so it's just the cat and me.
you need me to talk to him......I am famous for my 'communication' with the clients :twisted: and he sounds like one of my clients.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

lorin wrote:
aliantha wrote: Yeah, that's basically it. Is it worth risking rattling his tree with a direct confrontation when I'll only be here for another month?

you need me to talk to him......I am famous for my 'communication' with the clients :twisted: and he sounds like one of my clients.
Go for it! I'll send you the gas money! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

aliantha wrote:
lorin wrote:you need me to talk to him......I am famous for my 'communication' with the clients :twisted: and he sounds like one of my clients.
Go for it! I'll send you the gas money! :lol:
I believe SRD has the proper response for this:

"You little comprehend what you have summoned. Distance has no meaning to such power."

Sorry, Lorin, strictly a joke. No offense intended, but that was just too tempting to pass up.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Spray him with a water hose.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Savor Dam wrote:
Sorry, Lorin, strictly a joke. No offense intended, but that was just too tempting to pass up.
are you kidding??? I am proud of my evil side. It comes in very handy.
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

If you have a window on the opposite side of your house, open the window and the balcony doors with the fan blowing out. It'd circulate your air well and push the air in the direction of the smoke so it won't waft inside.

Having to be considerate of neighbors sucks if they don't think about you. My sympathies.
"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

Return to “General Discussion Forum”