Ranyhyn

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Ranyhyn

Post by Thorhammerhand »

I was watching Disney's Hercules yesterday evening and looking at the grown version of Pegasus made me wonder, What happens with a white Ranyhyn? The white star on their heads would be disguised surely?
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

While roaming through The Land, I've only seen one Ranyhyn that is white.
(Or I should say that she is more of a gray color with a nice tail.)
Anyway, the star is visible if you look face-to-face with her.
I wish I could recall her name (Surely Plains Of Ra knows) and if you should ever see her,
tell her I said "*whinny-whinny, snort-whinny-snort*" and paw the dirt with your left foot.
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

There's a racial joke in this topic somewhere but it escapes me..... :lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

Maybe the star might have a different grain than the rest of its hair. Do you call it hair on a horse? Do I mean fur? Dunno. Guess I never heard anyone talk about that before. Anyway, if it had a slightly different grain, you could see it when the light hit it just right.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Re: Ranyhyn

Post by Blackhawk »

Thorhammerhand wrote:I was watching Disney's Hercules yesterday evening and looking at the grown version of Pegasus made me wonder, What happens with a white Ranyhyn? The white star on their heads would be disguised surely?
In Sooth to be sure, it may have been noticeable with the angle of light or up close.
Cheval wrote:While roaming through The Land, I've only seen one Ranyhyn that is white.
I wish I could recall her name (Surely Plains Of Ra knows) and if you should ever see her,
tell her I said "*whinny-whinny, snort-whinny-snort*" and paw the dirt with your left foot.

your thinking of Charneal, offspring of Whinabreal and Neihlisa. she told me to tell you Whinny Snort..Reeeee, and then she added a chuff chuff and did a double tap with both hooves as if she was danciing. Apparently she likes you and had you stayed longer in the land, would have chosen you to ride. :D :biggrin:
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:There's a racial joke in this topic somewhere but it escapes me..... :lol:
Not the way I set it up, just a honest request. Glad however that I did, needed a laugh and had a good chuckle.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

A black panther is a black leopard with black spots. As Blackhawk said, with the right light and angle, you can see its spots.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:Maybe the star might have a different grain than the rest of its hair. Do you call it hair on a horse? Do I mean fur? Dunno. Guess I never heard anyone talk about that before. Anyway, if it had a slightly different grain, you could see it when the light hit it just right.
Strangely this is a subject of which I have some experience.
A horse has a 'coat' which is never described as 'white' exept on pub signs - always as 'grey'. Grey horses with central stars on thier forehead are not uncommon and the star is clearly visible, but only on close inspection, as a slight variation in shade in comparison to the surrounding coat. If the 'knap' of the hair is different in this region the variations are refered to as 'whorls' and 'feathers' but though this is often seen, it is rarely associated with the variation in color.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Fist and Faith wrote:A black panther is a black leopard with black spots. As Blackhawk said, with the right light and angle, you can see its spots.
I'm pretty sure I learned somewhere that all cats have spots on their skin, even if not in fur.
Also that all white tigers are deaf or nearly so [part of why they're common in zoos but not so much in the wild.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Vraith wrote:I'm pretty sure I learned somewhere that all cats have spots on their skin, even if not in fur.
Also that all white tigers are deaf or nearly so [part of why they're common in zoos but not so much in the wild.]
All cats have spots on thier skin - Not true :cry:
Whiteness in all animals is a sign of inbreeding (hence why white tigers are common in zoos where the gene pool is very small and inbreeding is common) and is often linked to deafness - or indeed other genetic abnormalities. :D
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Ranyhyn

Post by Cheval »

Blackhawk wrote:
Cheval wrote:While roaming through The Land, I've only seen one Ranyhyn that is white.
tell her I said "*whinny-whinny, snort-whinny-snort*" and paw the dirt with your fnord foot.
your thinking of Charneal, offspring of Whinabreal and Neihlisa. she told me to tell you Whinny Snort..Reeeee, and then she added a chuff chuff and did a double tap with both hooves as if she was danciing. Apparently she likes you and had you stayed longer in the land, would have chosen you to ride. :D :biggrin:
A Ranyhyn doesn't ride another Rany...

Oh, now I know what she means! 8O
we learned to talk."

gotta minute?
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Um, I may get laughed out of this thread and maybe even this entire forum, but just because it says a white star, does that HAVE to mean the star was made of fur or hair? Maybe it was made of light, maybe it was a star like what's in the sky. The brightness of the gem of the Krill was from light, Earthpower, Covenant's ring shown with light, and the Ranyhyn were Earthpower incarnate. Just sayin'.....OK, laugh now..........
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Rocksister wrote:Um, I may get laughed out of this thread and maybe even this entire forum, but just because it says a white star, does that HAVE to mean the star was made of fur or hair? Maybe it was made of light, maybe it was a star like what's in the sky. The brightness of the gem of the Krill was from light, Earthpower, Covenant's ring shown with light, and the Ranyhyn were Earthpower incarnate. Just sayin'.....OK, laugh now..........
You mean like the jewel in the head of a toad..........No - that doesn't work as an analogy does it. :lol:

(Actually Rocksis, I think it's a pretty nice idea!)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

Rocksister wrote:Um, I may get laughed out of this thread and maybe even this entire forum, but just because it says a white star, does that HAVE to mean the star was made of fur or hair? Maybe it was made of light, maybe it was a star like what's in the sky. The brightness of the gem of the Krill was from light, Earthpower, Covenant's ring shown with light, and the Ranyhyn were Earthpower incarnate. Just sayin'.....OK, laugh now..........
Laughed at? Not at all!
I like people who think outside the box.
we learned to talk."

gotta minute?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Thanks Rocksister, I never considered that possibility, and it does fit considering the Wraiths and all the Gems of power in the Land
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”