Introducing...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Introducing...

Post by Barnetto »

Just perusing the GI and saw that someone had recently posted a question with the name "Kale Swinehart" (26/2)

Now, no offence meant to anyone (and I'm assuming that is not a made up name), but surely the Chronicles deserves a character with that name...

Anyone else suggest real life people whose names deserve to appear in the Chronicles?
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Orlando Bloom

In connection with the Chronicles, his name speaks volumes.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Ahmad Rashad the running back for Greenbay sounds good.

so does Lamar Odom. :D
soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

Blackhawk wrote:Ahmad Rashad the running back for Greenbay sounds good.

Do you mean Ahman Green (RB for Green Bay) or Ahmad Rashad (formerly Bobby Jones, WR for Minnesota)?
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Sorry Barnetto - I don't buy anybody being called Kale Swineheart for real - this is an internet pseudonym for sure. I din't think they qualify for inclusion in the Chron's but I have known a Connor McLeod and a Caleb Munday in my life. Cool names or what!
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
cfeedback
Servant of the Land

Re: Introducing...

Post by cfeedback »

Barnetto wrote:Just perusing the GI and saw that someone had recently posted a question with the name "Kale Swinehart" (26/2)

Now, no offence meant to anyone (and I'm assuming that is not a made up name), but surely the Chronicles deserves a character with that name...
Huh? This is me--I happened to google my name and see this post. I remember asking a question--specifically I was hoping at some point there would be an omnibus edition of the Gap Cycle.

Anyway, if my name was ever included in anything well that would be an honor. - Kale Swinehart
peter wrote:Sorry Barnetto - I don't buy anybody being called Kale Swineheart for real - this is an internet pseudonym for sure.
www.google.com/search?hl=&q=%22Kale+Swi ... 2&ie=UTF-8
Facebook page, BOINC, other various posts over the years. Sorry you think my name is unbelievable.
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Glad to have reeled in a new member to the Watch!

Welcome to the Watch - as someone always seems to say.

You'll just have to forgive me - I'm from the UK and we just don't have names so..... well, "visual" for want of a better word as yours. Please take it as a compliment!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Wow Kale - please accept my appologies. That sure is one hell of a moniker you've got there. Where does a name like that come from then; it has a sort of 'Robin Hood' type feel about it, like Guy of Gisbourne's crafty sidekick if you know what I mean (not that I suggest for a minute.....!). Anyway - well done. You certainly have my vote for inclusion in the Chrons (but I'm afraid it HAS to be as one of Foul's minions). :D :D

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

soft one wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Ahmad Rashad the running back for Greenbay sounds good.

Do you mean Ahman Green (RB for Green Bay) or Ahmad Rashad (formerly Bobby Jones, WR for Minnesota)?
Ahmad Rashad..... but lol...didnt know his name was Bobby Jones before.
cfeedback
Servant of the Land

Post by cfeedback »

Barnetto wrote:Glad to have reeled in a new member to the Watch!

Welcome to the Watch - as someone always seems to say.

You'll just have to forgive me - I'm from the UK and we just don't have names so..... well, "visual" for want of a better word as yours. Please take it as a compliment!
No offense taken. I've met plenty of people with either my first or last name but I'd wager that out of 6+ billion people on the planet I'm the only one with this combination of the two. Definitely makes it easy on google to search for me. :)

As far as "the Watch", it's funny, when you say that, I think of one of my other favorite authors, George R.R. Martin and the "Night's Watch". I've read all the Chronicle books and love them but honestly the Gap Cycle is my favorite of Donaldson's works--I can't count on both hands the number of times I've read them.
peter wrote:Wow Kale - please accept my appologies. That sure is one hell of a moniker you've got there. Where does a name like that come from then; it has a sort of 'Robin Hood' type feel about it, like Guy of Gisbourne's crafty sidekick if you know what I mean (not that I suggest for a minute.....!). Anyway - well done. You certainly have my vote for inclusion in the Chrons (but I'm afraid it HAS to be as one of Foul's minions). :D :D
I believe my first name is roughly translated to "Charles" in Hawaiian, which was my father's name. I've met other Kale's before so it's not exactly a one of a kind name. Swinehart is just an old German name. Lot's of them around.

I wouldn't mind being Foul's minion at all. There's always a chance for redemption? I'm kind of rusty on the Chronicles but it seems like the ur-viles redeemed themselves.
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

cfeedback wrote:As far as "the Watch", it's funny, when you say that, I think of one of my other favorite authors, George R.R. Martin and the "Night's Watch". I've read all the Chronicle books and love them but honestly the Gap Cycle is my favorite of Donaldson's works--I can't count on both hands the number of times I've read them.
Well, I read the First and Second Chronicles back in the early eighties and they stood out at the time, but I don't make a habit of rereading books. Then I saw Runes in a bookshop a couple of years ago and bought it and read it - was OK, but the problem is it's not a stand alone book (by which I mean it doesn't stand alone from the earlier Chronicles). Then I read Fatal Revenant and it was like "this is ridiculous, I can't remember any of the background". So I started rereading the Chronicles around the start of the year and found this site, which has added immeasurably to my enjoyment of them. Nearly through and back up to Runes again!

But I've also bought the Gap Cycle to read next as I had never really considered buying and reading any of Donaldson's other works before. Really looking forward to that after seeing many people rate them above the Chronicles.

You might want to go over to the Summonsing page to introduce yourself? I believe that there is also a section of the Watch dedicated to the Gap Cycle.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

Barnetto wrote:But I've also bought the Gap Cycle to read next as I had never really considered buying and reading any of Donaldson's other works before. Really looking forward to that after seeing many people rate them above the Chronicles.
The Gap Cycle is a fantastic work, but it is very different from the Chronicles. The narrative style, the enemies, the "friends", are all also unlike virtually any other series I have read.

You'll love it!
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

cfeedback wrote:I believe my first name is roughly translated to "Charles" in Hawaiian, which was my father's name. I've met other Kale's before so it's not exactly a one of a kind name. Swinehart is just an old German name. Lot's of them around.
Kale is a great name! It has such a 'briney' feel to it - like a swashbuckling pirate or the brawney son of an old fisherman.

On the subject of great names - we have a chef local to my area called Nathen Outlaw and I think thats a pretty cool name - thoug a bit contrived for inclusion in a fantasy novel. The joke is it's his real name and yet if you used it in a fiction it would be scorned for the above reason :lol: .

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

The name surely sounds cool. But reading it in literal English [which of course is just happenstance, since it's not English] it is Cabbage Pigdeer. 8O
[no offense Kale...just an oddity that amuses me, hell my name doesn't mean ANYTHING in literal english]
And, after all, you could be Peter [which actually means "rock" IIRC]...so both the name and it's meaning have some....interesting connections. ;)
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Vraith wrote:And, after all, you could be Peter [which actually means "rock" IIRC]...so both the name and it's meaning have some....interesting connections. ;)
Trust me Vraith - Any interesting connections with the name 'Peter' and it's meaning are long ago swamped by its banality and commonality; picture the scene at the party, 'and this is my good friend Peter....(glazed expression, wooden smile, fast exit right)... Yes, err, we must have a chat sometime - got to go, got some paint drying at home.' :lol: :lol:
I want to be a Nathan Outlaw or a Kale Swinehart too. In my body beats the heart of a Dirk Steel or a ..........enough Peter, enough!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”