Linden as a threat

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Linden as a threat

Post by Thorhammerhand »

By now most know that an Elohim is loose in the Land giving cryptic warnings to the many and various peoples there-in.

If there was a threat to be countered they (the Elohim) may appoint one of their own to provide the answer to that need.

How much of a threat must LA then pose if Infelice has been sent? (I freely acknowledge at this point that we are unaware if 'she' has been appointed or is on her own mission)
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

With the exception of Thomas Covenant, Linden is the only one with the potential to save as well as destroy everything.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Re: Linden as a threat

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Thorhammerhand wrote:By now most know that an Elohim is loose in the Land giving cryptic warnings to the many and various peoples there-in.
Wasn't that Esmer?
I don't know, I just assumed it was.
Thorhammerhand wrote:If there was a threat to be countered they (the Elohim) may appoint one of their own to provide the answer to that need.
Great question!
What/who do the Elohim see as the threat to the world this time?
Thorhammerhand wrote:How much of a threat must LA then pose if Infelice has been sent? (I freely acknowledge at this point that we are unaware if 'she' has been appointed or is on her own mission)
The Elohim seem to think that Linden is equal to any task she is given
Otherwise they never would have allowed her to take that back in time trip with "TC" and "Jerry".
So I don't think any Elohim will be Appointed to ward with or against her.
Plus I think that goes against what the Elohim are.
They are Land/Earth based beings.
Beings from outside of Time piss them off but they don't deal with them, case in point: LF.

Whatever the reason is for the next Elohim to be Appointed has to end with transformation ("death") to an existence that is not an Elohim, like what happened to Findail.

It would be cool if the next Appointed's duty is to leave the Land-verse and go back to our reality to heal Linden, Covenant, Joan, Roger and Jeremiah.....hmm.....never thought of that before......
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

The Elohim who was spreading the warnings IMHO cannot be Esmer as both Esmer and the Elohim accosted the Rahmen, separately, in ROTE. FR seems to indicate that Infelice was, at least in part, responsible for the warnings.

'She' also seems to be there to dissuade LA from paths that the Elohim cannot control.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

I could be wrong, but the description of the Elohim who warned the people of the Land sounded a heck of a lot like Chant.

It's also of course unclear as to whether Longwrath's warning ("Slay her! Are you fools? Are you blind? Slay her!") pertains to Linden or not. I know he's attacked her specifically, but I still retain some doubt.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I don't think that the Elohim consider Linden a "threat". As has been pointed out, they trusted her to deal with Roger in the Land's past, when she could have changed history and destroyed the Arch.

I think that they consider Linden an "opportunity". She has a pivotal role in the Land's circumstances, and I believe that they want to sway her to go in certain ways, not go in other certain ways. In other words, they want to influence the outcome of things that are about to happen.

Linden, and people from outside the Land, are a "darkness" to the Elohim. They are beings of pure Earthpower. Nothing of the Earth can stop them. They'd be basking in the glow of unassailable superiority if it wasn't for these pesky intradimensional beings showing up. Being built to be the pinacle of power, they would naturally (or so it seems to me) try to control these beings as well, as best as they could. Their majestic self-image demands nothing less.

The fact that Infelice herself was roused from Elemesnedene to deal with Linden can only mean that they consider this a very important time to influence her choices.

But was she Appointed? I think she'd be the first to brag about it. She would certainly be wearing an air of doom that she did not have before.

And I do agree that being Appointed means that the Elohim will become transformed somehow - too many examples have been given for us to not reach that conclusion.

If Infelice is not Appointed, it must mean that whatever need they perceive cannot be met by one of them being so transformed.

Certainly Infelice will be Appointed before the end. That seems like a safe bet.

Or perhaps we will have an All-Inclusive Crisis of the Evoloo. In other words, all Elohim will be Appointed, too meet some sort of ultimate crisis. (Maybe they'll feed the Worm, make it sleepy again.)

Surely, Infelice would be working towards avoiding that outcome.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I dont trust the Elohim to tell the truth about anything. They talk out of both sides of their mouth. We get glimpses of truth from them but they also tend to spin tales based on their individual understandings.

Example: They basically told Linden that they hoped she would take the ring. However it wasnt because they hoped that she could win against the Despiser but that she would lose. But that would lock the Despiser out from being able to to threaten the earth and then they would fix the Sunbane themselves.

However Findail seemed to think that if something wasnt done about the Despiser outside of them, then the Elohim could become little more than playthings in the Despisers hands.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Linden as a threat

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Thorhammerhand wrote:By now most know that an Elohim is loose in the Land giving cryptic warnings to the many and various peoples there-in.

If there was a threat to be countered they (the Elohim) may appoint one of their own to provide the answer to that need.

How much of a threat must LA then pose if Infelice has been sent? (I freely acknowledge at this point that we are unaware if 'she' has been appointed or is on her own mission)
Nobody appoints the queen of the elohim. She has simply appeared, not been appointed, to try to dissuade Linden from her course of action, because there is a need. She did not appear when Linden went back to Berek's time because there was no need.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo

Return to “Fatal Revenant”