Staff or staffs?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Simanent
Woodhelvennin

Staff or staffs?

Post by Simanent »

It occurred to me that maybe it will turn out that there is only one staff of law- that the staff Linden made will have to be taken back in time for Berek to obtain. There are lots of reasons why this might well not be right- but you never know!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

It's possible.
It's also possible that Linden's Staff might be what's needed to put the Worm back to sleep.
Perhaps she needs to put hers back where Berek originally cut his from.

It would make it all come full circle.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I feel it's unlikely...but it did have runes added to make it look more like the old [and function so, it is implied]...maybe something will be done about it's...what did he say? "Unfortunate color?" to make it even more so...
but I don't think the ending is going to circle back, I suspect the old world will be gone and a new/better will start. [pure speculation, of course].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:It's possible.
It's also possible that Linden's Staff might be what's needed to put the Worm back to sleep.

That's an interesting thought I haven't seen elsewhere. (or at least I don't remember it...)

Sim, welcome to the Watch! If you poke around you'll find some other threads discussing this point about one or two staffs...
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Simanent
Woodhelvennin

Post by Simanent »

Relayer wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:It's possible.

That's an interesting thought I haven't seen elsewhere. (or at least I don't remember it...)

Sim, welcome to the Watch! If you poke around you'll find some other threads discussing this point about one or two staffs...
Thanks Relayer. Where are the staff/staffs threads?
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

There are some problems to this theory, most significantly the facts that Linden's Staff is black and was made from Vain and Findail, and that Berek's Staff is brown and was cut from the One Tree.

The only way I could see Linden's Staff turning out to be Berek's Staff is if Linden travels back in time, then plants her Staff in the ground and uses Earthpower or something to make it take root and grow. Eventually its roots reach down deep enough to tap the energies of the Worm of the World's End, and the Staff grows into the One Tree itself, from which Berek will eventually take a branch with which to fashion his Staff...

It would also be neat if Linden left the heels somewhere nearby for Berek to find, or entrusted them to the Theomach or something, so that he could give them to Berek; that way, the heels would form part of a stable time-loop in which their age is infinite...
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

High Lord Tolkien wrote: It's also possible that Linden's Staff might be what's needed to put the Worm back to sleep.
Thwack him on the head with it.

Works with my kids... oh wait...
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

Vraith wrote: but I don't think the ending is going to circle back, I suspect the old world will be gone and a new/better will start. [pure speculation, of course].
I hope not... if the ending turns out like you say, then it will have been a carbon copy of the last "Chronicles of Narnia" - IIRC that is what happened to Narnia at the very end.

I also wonder about the Staff of Law being black - however, the color was caused by it being burned, remember?
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

MrKABC wrote:
Vraith wrote: but I don't think the ending is going to circle back, I suspect the old world will be gone and a new/better will start. [pure speculation, of course].
I hope not... if the ending turns out like you say, then it will have been a carbon copy of the last "Chronicles of Narnia" - IIRC that is what happened to Narnia at the very end.

I also wonder about the Staff of Law being black - however, the color was caused by it being burned, remember?
I didn't mean "better" in quite that way, as a sort of heaven analog.
I mean more along the lines of Law restored, and a place where, if there is evil, or corruption, it is ordinary evil and corruption: Done by people too weak or power hungry to be good, where if murder is done, it's the murderer's fault/shortcoming, not being possessed by a Raver; the absence of Immortal Powers that don't belong there and interfere with everything. A place where Glory and Beauty [and Damnation and Destruction] are built/created by the will and actions of those who belong there.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Vraith wrote:
MrKABC wrote:

I didn't mean "better" in quite that way, as a sort of heaven analog.
I mean more along the lines of Law restored, and a place where, if there is evil, or corruption, it is ordinary evil and corruption: Done by people too weak or power hungry to be good, where if murder is done, it's the murderer's fault/shortcoming, not being possessed by a Raver; the absence of Immortal Powers that don't belong there and interfere with everything. A place where Glory and Beauty [and Damnation and Destruction] are built/created by the will and actions of those who belong there.
OIC, you want another "real" world Earth.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Except with all the cool stuff left in...
Simanent
Woodhelvennin

Post by Simanent »

If you leave the cool stuff in then you must have the cool stuff destroying stuff too. It's the balance.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Simanent wrote:If you leave the cool stuff in then you must have the cool stuff destroying stuff too. It's the balance.
Works for me...the whole problem is LF is way too cool for the world, and unbalancing.

[oh, and there are 2 staffs...no merging, no seeding, no circling, nifty ideas some of them, but betting money this series isn't a Dark Tower parallel ending.]
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Vraith wrote:
Simanent wrote:If you leave the cool stuff in then you must have the cool stuff destroying stuff too. It's the balance.
Works for me...the whole problem is LF is way too cool for the world, and unbalancing.

[oh, and there are 2 staffs...no merging, no seeding, no circling, nifty ideas some of them, but betting money this series isn't a Dark Tower parallel ending.]
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Bal ... oodAndEvil
This is a very common Fantasy-genre trope. It's a way of explaining away various others...
Basically, Good and Evil are unionized, and have rules they must follow. These rules are usually towards overall self-preservation; no one side is allowed to "win" too much...
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
Simanent
Woodhelvennin

Post by Simanent »

Quote:
This is a very common Fantasy-genre trope. It's a way of explaining away various others...
Basically, Good and Evil are unionized, and have rules they must follow. These rules are usually towards overall self-preservation; no one side is allowed to "win" too much...

The point of interest is how these rules are enforced. SRD is brilliant at showing how good people are destroyed by their overlooked failings and so aid evil in the end, but he has not gone into the same depth when it comes to showing how evil defeats itself. Admittedly, LF keeps losing, and in a way it's his own fault (he chose TC to be summoned for a start) but we don't get LF's perspective on events. I'm hoping that's going to change.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Simanent wrote:Quote:

The point of interest is how these rules are enforced. SRD is brilliant at showing how good people are destroyed by their overlooked failings and so aid evil in the end, but he has not gone into the same depth when it comes to showing how evil defeats itself. Admittedly, LF keeps losing, and in a way it's his own fault (he chose TC to be summoned for a start) but we don't get LF's perspective on events. I'm hoping that's going to change.
There seems to be a rumor going around the Watch that Foul chose Covenant. Yet nothing in the text indicates this. Drool Rockworm was searching for white gold beyond Time. We don't know if it was bad luck that he found Covenant first rather some a$$whole who would betray the good guys and then make himself king of the Earth with his ring. Or perhaps the man in the ochre robes somehow manipulated Drool's vision so that it centered on Covenant. We don't know.

Simanent
Woodhelvennin

Post by Simanent »

The rumor is based on a quote from the GI.

I haven't looked to see if this was ever actually in the GI of course.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

I guess it depends on whether or not you regard Foul or Creator as literal beings and not merely elements of Covenant himself.
I was explicitly thinking of the Creator, the Despiser, and wild magic as aspects of Covenant himself. And the part of himself which he denies--wild magic, his own personal power to assign meaning to his life and experiences--is the part which must mediate his internal conflicts (the struggle between the creative and destructive sides of his nature). Hence the thematic development from the first to the second "Chronicles."
In this interpretation, Covenant chose himself.

Simanent
Woodhelvennin

Post by Simanent »

Well, what I ask is, why do we not get a story about how TC's destructive side struggles to accomadate his creative side?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Simanent wrote:Well, what I ask is, why do we not get a story about how TC's destructive side struggles to accomadate his creative side?
We do: "Don't touch me!"
[destruction just doesn't play well with others
:lol: ]

Return to “Against All Things Ending”