Now we know who he is (was) ((whatever))

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Now we know who he is (was) ((whatever))

Post by Thorhammerhand »

In FR LA is assured that she knows the Theomach's real name.

She is also told that she can command him by the power of his name.

In her place, would you command him to do anything?

If so, what?
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

How about you, Thorhammerhand?

What would you command, given the chance?
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

not entirely sure, he did ask LA NOT to command anything.

I, however would command him to show his face. All we know of him is that he was wrapped in a sheet type cloth, and on the island of the one tree they only saw an old man in a robe. Always been curious...
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Thorhammerhand wrote:I, however would command him to show his face.
Yeah, I also wanted to see his face.

To be honest, I really should stay out of the 3rd chronicle topics. I don't have much interest in them. Maybe in early 2014 when all the pieces start to fit together I'll get excited about them.

The only interesting character in the 3rd chronicles, for me, is the Madout (sp?). She reminds me of the Patchwork Girl of Oz, one of the best characters ever conceived in any children's story. I hope she returns.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Pat your head and rub your belly at the same time. That's quite the accomplishment.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

I was kind of puzzled why Roger and the Croyel didn't use this power (commanding him with his true name) to control the situation to their liking.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Is there any evidence that they knew his true name?
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

wayfriend wrote:Is there any evidence that they knew his true name?
The reason why people like Linden, the Vizard, the Mahdoubt and the Haruchai knew his name is because he (unlike all the other Insequent) flaunted his name when he became the guardian of the tree. Apparently he believed that after he assumed that post he became immune to misuse of his name by enemies who wanted to control him through it.

Roger seems very knowledgeable about the Land's history (perhaps through the acquiring of former Elohim body parts?) Furthermore he knows the Theomach, his history and abilities. He comes from a time when the Theomach's name is long known to everyone.

It would seem odd that he wouldn't know his name. I'll need to look in the book to see if I can find places where he uses his name
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm pretty sure you're correct on that.

All I can think of is that the Theomach had an uneasy truce with Roger and the croyel. The Theomach could have revealed their true names, and they could reveal his. But they apparently decided not to push each other in exchange for not hindering each other.

As for the Theomach, he probably new that everything would work out okay in the end.

As for Roger and the croyel, you can argue that they should have been for anything that causes a Time glitch and breaks the Arch. Howewever, I don't think that's entirely true.

Maybe they figured the Theomach could send them back to their home time any time that he wanted to (he seemed to have some power in that regard) and prevent their reaching Earthroot altogether. Or maybe they figured that they had so many other alternatives for making trouble that they let that one pass by.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

wayfriend wrote:I'm pretty sure you're correct on that.

All I can think of is that the Theomach had an uneasy truce with Roger and the croyel. The Theomach could have revealed their true names, and they could reveal his. But they apparently decided not to push each other in exchange for not hindering each other.

As for the Theomach, he probably new that everything would work out okay in the end.

As for Roger and the croyel, you can argue that they should have been for anything that causes a Time glitch and breaks the Arch. Howewever, I don't think that's entirely true.

Maybe they figured the Theomach could send them back to their home time any time that he wanted to (he seemed to have some power in that regard) and prevent their reaching Earthroot altogether. Or maybe they figured that they had so many other alternatives for making trouble that they let that one pass by.
Very possibly.

Do you think the story would have been the better if such a deal was made explicit to us?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:Do you think the story would have been the better if such a deal was made explicit to us?
I think that notion that there was an uneasy truce was evident; the reasons why are not told to us.

But I don't think that there was a way to do that without revealing who the Theomach and who Covenant and who Jeremiah are.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”