Xar's coming to New England!

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Xar
Lord

Xar's coming to New England!

Post by Xar »

Well, since I booked the flight two days ago, I can now announce I'll be in New England from Sept 10 to Sept 25... Specifically, the current itinerary includes Sept 10-11 in Boston, Sept 12-19 around Massachussetts and Connecticut, Sept 20 in Newark (where I'll give a talk at the New Jersey Medical School), and Sept 21-25 in New York City.

Anything interesting going on around there, Watch-wise? :P
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

w00t!

If he doesn't already know, I know Fist will be excited to see this!
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

I live in NH! Which is kind of sort of near Boston!
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Excellent!!! I particularly need to know when you'll be in Mystic. Actually, I'm hoping we'll have our kids there for a weekend in August, but I'll see about meeting you there, and in NYC again. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Jaz is from NH and I'm from Fitchburg which is about 20 miles from the NH border. Any chance of getting together for a watch night at a relatively central watering hole???
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Yo, Xar: I go to college in Connecticut but live right outside Boston. I'll be at home all summer until the last weekend in August, at which point I'll move back to CT. So I'm not sure where this leaves my prospects of a Watchfest in our region (which I would love incidentally and it'd be great to work something out). What's this about Mystic? My school is the next town over from there.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Well, I'm traveling with some friends so my itinerary isn't too flexible... Basically, this is what we have planned: we'll arrive in Boston on September 10, stay there until the morning of September 13, then leave Boston, visit Salem, the North Shore, and stop around Nashoba Valley. The following day (sept 14), we plan to take the Mohawk Trail, pass by Mount Greylock, and stop somewhere in the Berkshires. Then on Sept 15 we'll either go through the Litchfield Hills or through Springfield, in order to stop in Hartford. Sept 16 will see us through Providence and we'll stop in Plymouth for the night. Sept 17 will be dedicated to visiting some of Cape Cod and then backtracking until we stop in Mystic for the night, then on Sept 18 we'll go along the coast all the way to New Haven. On Sept 19 we'll go through Coastal Fairfield County, visit Stamford and stop in Newark for the night. Sept 20 will be in Newark (where my colleague and I will give that talk at the NJ medical school), and we'll enter NYC in the evening; then, from Sept 21 to Sept 25, I'll stay put in NYC.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

LM, Mystic is my favorite place in the world. More specifically, Lord's Point. My grandmother's sister lived there, and we went there for vacation every summer when I was a kid. And Mystic is pretty cool, too. I've been there a handful of times as an adult, and taken my kids. But it's been some years, so my 7 yo doesn't remember it at all. Don't think my 11 yo does either. She couldn't have been more than 5 last time there.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Hmm, ideally I would much prefer to meet Watchers back in Boston but it looks like I'll be in CT. If anybody is in Mystic and has some free time, shoot me a line and maybe we could work something out since I'm so close. That includes Xar and Fist. And by the way, when you're in Salem, Xar, be sure to go to the Peabody Essex Museum. I used to work there, and it's the best museum on the North Shore. If you're looking for things to do in Boston I could give suggestions as well. :)
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Hmm, ideally I would much prefer to meet Watchers back in Boston but it looks like I'll be in CT. If anybody is in Mystic and has some free time, shoot me a line and maybe we could work something out since I'm so close. That includes Xar and Fist. And by the way, when you're in Salem, Xar, be sure to go to the Peabody Essex Museum. I used to work there, and it's the best museum on the North Shore. If you're looking for things to do in Boston I could give suggestions as well. :)
Suggestions are always welcome :D I'm sure we can organize something for Mystic as well!
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Brinn wrote:Jaz is from NH and I'm from Fitchburg which is about 20 miles from the NH border. Any chance of getting together for a watch night at a relatively central watering hole???
You live in Fitchburg? Whaaaaaat?! My friends used to live there. :)

I could be persuaded to come out to Mass for a drink. Where do we want to go? North Boston? The south shore kind of scares me. Lowell is kind of the mid-way between Boston, Fitch and Manch. But it's Lowell.

Where in Boston are you staying Xar?
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I'd definitely be up for a night on the town in Boston. Let's get this planned!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

So the Boston hotel should be near Longwood Medical, it's a Best Western... the NYC hotel is on 32nd Street in Manhattan, if I remember correctly, very close to Union Station.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Whether Mystic or Boston, call me very interested.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Xar wrote:the NYC hotel is on 32nd Street in Manhattan, if I remember correctly, very close to Union Station.
Same one as your last visit?
Fist will know exactly where to find you then. :)
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

JazFusion wrote:I live in NH! Which is kind of sort of near Boston!
i am from Concord, NH.

live in Texas now.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Menolly wrote:
Xar wrote:the NYC hotel is on 32nd Street in Manhattan, if I remember correctly, very close to Union Station.
Same one as your last visit?
Fist will know exactly where to find you then. :)
No, it's another one... so Fist will have to hunt it down. I do it all for him... I wouldn't want him to get disappointed by making it too easy to find me :D
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

hehehe
You are cruel when you wish to be...
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Menolly wrote:hehehe
You are cruel when you wish to be...
No, I'm just doing it for his own good... it keeps him young :D
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

You're both babies!

Seriously, I wish I could fly up again, but my method for generating the funds last time has been shut down the past year or so for medical reasons... :(

One day cash won't limit my options quite so much.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”