Acropolis 1.0 - Rules, Comments, and Q&A

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Thinking I've done all I could this turn...
...turn sent.
Nyx
Ramen

Post by Nyx »

Turn sent.

Autarch, let me know if I handled my non-DSP stuff properly. Most of it was more "groundwork for stuff I plan on spending DSPs on in future turns" than actual stuff with useful results this turn.
To seek the breast of darkness and be suckled by the night.
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

Turn sent. Hopefully not wasted!
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

sent
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I have submissions from Diana, Kai, Surya, Virelai, Nyx, Chime, and Isaiah. Everything looks fine so far.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The Autarch wrote:or this.
:thumbsup:

I really do like that particular story...
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

one small edit I forogt...
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Cool contest, Syl! I promise (to try!) and make an entry this time. I've been very disappointed in myself not entering the previous ones...
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm generally disappointed in myself when I DO enter. :lol: Not sure there's a point in trying, but I always try to come up with something, and usually manage an entry.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm with Fist.
But, you can't win if you don't enter.

Mine is basically ready to go.
Probably not at all what the Autarch has in mind.
And there is a risk to being first but...
...aw well.

Someone has to be first...

I just hope my writing manages to convey the concept of what my gift is. There is the gift itself, which is alright. But I am trying to introduce a concept to the society as the more subtle gift. I don't think the City's society has the concept yet. We'll see...

~*~edit~*~

bah...
The Autarch wrote:The remaining corner is public parks and gardens.

Still, I am hoping to have taken the concept a step further along...
Nyx
Ramen

Post by Nyx »

So, since a minor domain related to the gift is a possible outcome of this gift, does that mean that the gift itself need not come from the domain(s) that we currently possess? Is this a gift from our characters, or the players taking an opportunity to free-form create more backstory for the city?

If the latter, but the content of the gift could possibly grant a secondary domain to one of the winners, there all of a sudden becomes some amount of strategy involved in choosing what we give.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Nyx wrote:So, since a minor domain related to the gift is a possible outcome of this gift, does that mean that the gift itself need not come from the domain(s) that we currently possess?
No, it need not. It should, however, be believable that the god would choose/be able to give it.
Is this a gift from our characters, or the players taking an opportunity to free-form create more backstory for the city?
Yes. Or whatever. As long as it works within the current framework of the game (no rewriting history, but revealing it is fine. heh. i just realized this would make the whole Aditya thing make sense).
...there all of a sudden becomes some amount of strategy involved in choosing what we give.
I assure you, this was intentional.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Nyx
Ramen

Post by Nyx »

Ah, then this is a gift from our gods to the city, and should be written that way (as V did already). And, also as V did already, it's to be something new added to the city, not just altering history so that the thing always was there. (Though, if it nods back to retroactively "revealed" history, that's allowed.)

[Sorry, I'm trying to practice good listening skills... paraphrase back what you understood, to confirm that you're correct.]
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Nyx wrote:So, since a minor domain related to the gift is a possible outcome of this gift, does that mean that the gift itself need not come from the domain(s) that we currently possess? Is this a gift from our characters, or the players taking an opportunity to free-form create more backstory for the city?

If the latter, but the content of the gift could possibly grant a secondary domain to one of the winners, there all of a sudden becomes some amount of strategy involved in choosing what we give.
*nodding*

While I don't necessarily see Architecture being associated with Song or Writing; I do recall that my high school Humanities class concentrated on Philosophy (i.e. the written works of Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, etc.), Music History, and Architecture...
Nyx
Ramen

Post by Nyx »

Well, as with writing arising as the result of a music-related action... so would architecture being a result of this, if you win. Makes perfect sense.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I see the connection between Song and Writing much clearer though, since both involve scribing and composing...

...not that I'm coming up with any reasons why Architecture couldn't be linked to the other two. ;)

hmm...
I guess drafting could be seen as a graphic mix of scribing and composing, hence then leading to Architecture.
in the wikipedia article on [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvius]Vitruvius[/url] it is wrote:In Roman times architecture was a broader subject than at present including the modern fields of architecture, construction management, construction engineering, chemical engineering, civil engineering, materials engineering, mechanical engineering, military engineering and urban planning.
*wheels turning*
...not that I am expecting to win in the slightest...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

It's mid-month and anticipation builds...
Can't wait to see what all is thrown at us this time!

...no pressure intended, Autarch. Just expressing my excitement.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Menolly wrote:...no pressure intended, Autarch. Just expressing my excitement.
That's like saying "I don't mean to pry, but..." or "No offense, but..."
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Irrepressible
She just can't contain herself
Though she knows the risk...
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

What? I didn't see where she said that. It wasn't in a smaller font, was it? Because, y'know, that just doesn't really make it into my conscious decision-making process or anything.

Part of being senile, I suppose. Good thing I have reminders about games I'm running.
-George Steiner

Return to “Acropolis 1.0”