Aesir: Is Caelyn creepy?

Moderator: Goatkiller666

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called [movies], and on this invention they show shows, right?" ;)

If you didn't gather from the commercials, entertainment pieces on TV, threads in the Flicks forum and so on, Robert Downey Jr. played an actor playing a black character. The gist is that the character was a method actor, staying in character during production (and throughout the whole movie). This created tension not only by making the character seem strange in the situation, but because he was essentially doing blackface. Similarly, you have a character in character OOG compounded by the fact that it's a little kid candidly discussing sex.

<edit to add>Which is to say, I don't think it (the creepiness) has anything directly to do with who you are, Menolly. It's entirely an impersonal thing, even if I personally disagree with the shared/transmitted value.

To rewind a bit:
Merely followed your lead in choice of words, SomeFather...
That's not how it looks, though as I understand it, this followed a more private exchange that the rest of us didn't see.
Agapé, under the search function's first mention of 'chafing,' wrote:I certainly have no problems with you mentioning my followers...uh...chafing...during the long, dark season of Winter, SomeFather...

;)
I suppose it's actually a triple entendre, since you moderate the cooking forum. ;)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:"Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called [movies], and on this invention they show shows, right?" ;)
Yeah, but...
See below.
Syl wrote:If you didn't gather from the commercials, entertainment pieces on TV, threads in the Flicks forum and so on,
Well...

I haven't watched t.v. at all since I found the Watch, pretty much. In fact, as was seen at elohimfest '07 when we were all watching The Princess Bride, I have trouble keeping my eyes open when I do try to watch t.v. It may just be that movie, as it happened again recently when I sat down to watch it, but I really do like that movie, so I don't think that's it. The format of t.v. just doesn't hold my interest. Very little interaction...

So no commercials, nor entertainment pieces on t.v. And I pick and choose which threads I read, so saw nothing regarding this movie in Flicks as I decided not to read the threads since I had heard nothing about it...
Syl wrote:To rewind a bit:
Merely followed your lead in choice of words, SomeFather...
That's not how it looks, though as I understand it, this followed a more private exchange that the rest of us didn't see.
Agapé, under the search function's first mention of 'chafing,' wrote:I certainly have no problems with you mentioning my followers...uh...chafing...during the long, dark season of Winter, SomeFather...

;)
As I mentioned above, and Odin then posted in response, he came up with the term...
[url=https://kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=778582#778582]Odin[/url] wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:
Menolly wrote:...chafing was a euphemism supplied by Odin a ways back, by the way. I thought it was a hoot. :)
WHAT?????
er...

WHAT???? I am responsible for that? When did that happen?

For the love of Xar...

I didn't mean for it to be the catch-phrase of Agape, and certainly not of her 18-month old!
A very long time ago, Odin wrote:Those who are in new relationships experience higher than normal desire, couplings, and chafing.
Couldn't have picked desire or coupling to be the Holy Word of Agape?
Syl wrote:I suppose it's actually a triple entendre, since you moderate the cooking forum. ;)
:spew:

Well, you did allude to that elsewhere...
Was it in response to something here or in Acropolis?
hmm...perhaps that was in a PM. I can't recall.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Menolly wrote: Yeah, but...
See below.
That was a Pulp Fiction quote.
I haven't watched t.v. at all since I found the Watch...
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You won't get my pop culture references. I get it. I'm just saying it was pretty much everywhere. I even caught a bit of an interview on NPR about that part of the movie.

Why place the emphasis on your confusion rather than saying something like 'Oh, that's what you were talking about?' Deflecting?
As I mentioned above, and Odin then posted in response, he came up with the term...
I get that, too. I thought my remark on the subject would've made that clear. I'm just talking about how it looks. <edit to add> Still, as Odin said, he didn't intend chafing as a stand-in for sex, merely a result of it. You actually started the pun by stating in such a way that the denotative meaning was "Annoyance; vexation," while the connotative meaning was "Warmth, wear, or soreness produced by friction." That's unarguably a pun, and one of your creation, even if by transmutation.
...perhaps that was in a PM. I can't recall.
Beats me.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Return to “Aesir & Vanir”