G Rated movie suggestions

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

danlo
Lord

G Rated movie suggestions

Post by danlo »

As some of you know I'm the president of my daughter's PTA (Parent Teacher Association) at her elementary school. We're scheduling "Movie Night" once a month at the school. Last month we showed Wall*E. It appears to be very difficult to find appealing semi-current G Rated DVDs. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know. As per school policy the movie must be G Rated--yes, many movies that seem to fit this bill like; Up, How to Train Your Dragon and G-Force are actually PG. Unfortunately Disney seems to have cornered the market on this rating--and I'm afraid something old like The Aristocats, Old Yeller or Cinderella would not hold the student's interest.

Thanks for you help.
fall far and well Pilots!
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Try Ponyo. Good Movie.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I still maintain that you can't go wrong with the original version of The Hobbit :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Lady & the Tramp.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Rigel wrote:I still maintain that you can't go wrong with the original version of The Hobbit :)

What's this.... an original version.....pray tell more.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

"Princess and the Frog"? I haven't seen it, but Batty liked it.

"Up" is PG-13?? That's insane.

What about some non-Disney oldies-but-goodies that the kids may not have seen? I'm thinking of stuff like "The Last Unicorn" and "My Neighbor Totoro".

"The Neverending Story" is PG, apparently, but I bet it would get a G today. Although the world *does* blow up at the end.... Trying to think of stuff my kids watched when they were little. Hmm. I'll pop back in if I think of anything else.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I watched Clint Eastwood movies when I was a kid, and it didn't affect me at all.

Okay, maybe a little.

Neverending Story, however, made me nauseous, like standing too close to an open sewer.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Oh, come on! Didn't you want to pet the Luck Dragon? Even a little bit?

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I tried to like that movie. I wanted to like it. I needed to like it. It was my gf at the time's favorite movie, and she just had to make me watch it when she found out I hadn't seen it yet. Well, I saw the cursed thing, and long story short, we never want out again. Shame, because she was hot. And no, our breakup didn't really have anything to do with that movie. But it still made me want to gouge my eyes out.

If I ever cross paths with that dragon, it'll be said (on his headstone) that his luck ran out.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

the Incredibles, Toy Story, Cars, Meet the Robinsons, Monster Inc, Monsters vs Aliens - all of those types.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

many people have listed Disney movies, but for me, and what we showed our daughter growing up, were the Miazaki movies:
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Ponyo (as listed above)
The Return of the Cat (Studio Gibli)

The great thing about these movies is that they are great to watch with parents, fantastic imagination and imagry, excitement, AND, there are no 'villains'!... really ... them ovies are great and fun without having a typical 'Disney-style' antagonist.
We still watch these...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

___ wrote:I tried to like that movie. I wanted to like it. I needed to like it. It was my gf at the time's favorite movie, and she just had to make me watch it when she found out I hadn't seen it yet. Well, I saw the cursed thing, and long story short, we never want out again. Shame, because she was hot. And no, our breakup didn't really have anything to do with that movie. But it still made me want to gouge my eyes out.

If I ever cross paths with that dragon, it'll be said (on his headstone) that his luck ran out.
I too have never seen the appeal of The Neverending Story. But I don't think my reaction was as strong as whassisname.

Suggestions: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Wizard of Oz, The Muppet Movie, Wallace And Gromit shorts as well as Chicken Run, and supposedly Babe is rated G. Sadly, Spirited Away is PG - otherwise, I'd wholeheartedly suggest that one, as I think it is a good message for kids. But it is pretty scary (though about on par with some scenes from Willy Wonka or Wizard of Oz).
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

^I second Miyazaki. Fantastic children's films that retain their power for adults. I haven't watched any without subtitles, so I'm unsure on the quality of the dubs. Usually voice-acted by a full Hollywood cast though (I still think that would take away from foreign language film, especially anime).
sgt.null wrote:the Incredibles, Toy Story, Cars, Meet the Robinsons, Monster Inc, Monsters vs Aliens - all of those types.
I'm pretty sure The Incredibles and Monsters vs Aliens are both PG.
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Stone Magnet wrote:^I second Miyazaki. Fantastic children's films that retain their power for adults. I haven't watched any without subtitles, so I'm unsure on the quality of the dubs. Usually voice-acted by a full Hollywood cast though (I still think that would take away from foreign language film, especially anime).
sgt.null wrote:the Incredibles, Toy Story, Cars, Meet the Robinsons, Monster Inc, Monsters vs Aliens - all of those types.
I'm pretty sure The Incredibles and Monsters vs Aliens are both PG.
I've watched most of Miyazaki's films dubbed, and I have to admit that they do a good job. They have almost all been under John Lassater of Pixar, and you can see the care he puts into it. I would definitely recommend the dubs to a young audience.

Oh, and the Hobbit was mentioned above, which I'd think might be PG (and just confirmed it is). It's by Rankin Bass who did a number of holiday specials such as the classic Rudolf and Frosty tv specials. They also did Return of the King (skipping Fellowship and The Two Towers), and as both were my introduction to Middle Earth, I love them both - flaws aside. The Hobbit I think still holds up, though obviously geared toward kids (like the original book supposedly was). It might be harder for those who've seen Peter Jackson's movies so far, but if not, it's a good intro. I remember running around the playground after it originally aired with the ring of invisibility fighting goblins and such. And I remembered being so very disappointed when the wonderful ring turned out to be evil when watching Return of the King, though I loved the Where There's A Whip There's A Way song. It's pretty dated now though.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Chicken Run! What a great movie. And oh yeah, the original Willy Wonka -- nothing beats seeing that greedy girl swell up into a big blueberry. :twisted:

I'm sorry you guys had bad experiences with The Neverending Story. I liked it because the message is that reading is cool. 8) Plus I totally wanted my own Luck Dragon....

The only problem with some of these movies *might* be if you have crazy fundamentalist parents who don't want their kids exposed to supernatural stuff. But hey, they don't have to come to the movies, do they?

EZ Board Survivor

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Wow, great suggestions guys! I was seriously considering Ponyo and I'm, sort of, afraid that The Princess and the Frog has been overdone recently, both at the bargain movies and the public libraries. Meet the Robinsons is really G? Hmm, may be a little too geeky and my daughter thinks Chicken Run is a bit scary. I'd love to fill the little boogers up with candy and popcorn and have them have awful dreams of WWatCF! :twisted: (right between Halloween and Thanksgiving? Perfect! :mrgreen: :throwup: :haha: )

I also like Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro. Ponyo's the front runner right now.

(oh, I could never stand Neverending Story either :P )
fall far and well Pilots!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

danlo wrote:(oh, I could never stand Neverending Story either :P )
What the hell is WRONG with you people???

:lol:

EZ Board Survivor

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

aliantha wrote:

Add me to the list. Bleh! Never had any interest in watching it.

Mary Poppins is an awesome movie.
Sound of Music? was that G or PG?

If the boys want a break from singing:
The Quiet Man, John Wayne rated G One of my all time favorites.

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938 with Errol Flynn (sp?))

The Musical "1776" This one might be a little too young for elementary kids but I'd make them watch it anyway. 5th graders at least.

Wizard of Oz
The Red Badge of Courage (1951)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

aliantha wrote:

You should be asking yourself that!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

___ wrote:
aliantha wrote:

You should be asking yourself that!
At my house, the standard response to the question, "What's wrong with you?" is "How much time have you got?" ;)

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “Flicks”