Character names

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Character names

Post by sindatur »

So, I noticed while reading the Dissection of the enxt to last chapter of Fatal Revenant, that more than 1 Staff are Staves (not sure why I never noticed it before). It's been theorized there is more Time travel to come and that may cause two Staves to be present in the same time (3 if you count the former Master). Any connection to Stave's name and the Staff of Law?

And then of course there is Hollian and Sunder's son Anele. SRD is very fond of the using the word anele, and Hollain told Linden that after her plans are doomed (as they inevitibly will be) that Anele is the alst hope for the Land. I wonder how he will anele the Land? Since one of the problems with the Land is the breaking of of the Law of Life to bring Anele into the world, does this mean Anele may have to somehow sacrifice himself to repair the Law of Life while aneling the Land?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I have picked up on Anele's name being connected with his potential role as the healer of the Earth, or something along those lines.

As for Stave... I don't see this name as implying a connection to the Staff of Law. I see it more as an indication that he is Linden's "crutch". He helps her stand up to what she must face.

Let's not forget Mahrtiir, whose name just happens to sound like "martyr". Mahrtiir is looking for a way to go out in a blaze of glory. That's pretty obvious.

Then there is the Harrow ... who tries to be a harrowing experience.

And don't forget Roger. He's over and out.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Mr. D. is very fond of names implying something, often more than one thing.
The hard part is to figure out which ones mean, then which meaning.

Harrow has a positive meaning [a thing used to prepare a field for planting]
as well as what WF noted.

Stave is also a post that's part of a supportive frame, put a hole in, and to prevent something from happening...all of which have some interesting relevance, at least in theory.

The Anele def's are particularly interesting since his father was Sunder, to break apart. What a team.

I'm sure there are a lot of these things scattered around the Watch.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

wayfriend wrote:I have picked up on Anele's name being connected with his potential role as the healer of the Earth, or something along those lines.
Yea, Anele I caught right away, but, had forgotten about him being the Land's last hope, interesting about his Father Sunder, hadn't thought of that.

Ooh, Martiir, though, I noticed the Character was very Martyr-like, I hadn't noticed the similarity of his name until you mentioned it.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

I also thought of Stave as a word meaning to ward, ie "to stave off" as in resisting an attack.
Last edited by finn on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I think he just wanted to name a character after himself, but thought it would appear too cocky. So Steve became Stave.

:mrgreen:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Fatal Revenant”