The Hobbit

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Sunbaneglasses wrote:Ummmmmm, I just want to see Bilbo fight the spiders. :roll:
Hmmm, I wonder if the spiders have a shop steward? :evil:
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

At the risk of going off topic, read this piece:
www.aintitcool.com/node/47057
Two Hobbit films officially greenlighted with Peter Jackson directing!

The two Hobbit films will be shot back to back much like the original LOTR Trilogy was and it looks like cameras will be rolling February 2011.

Now I just want a guarantee that Christopher Lee is back as Saruman and I'll be one happy nerd!
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

^ Greenlighted. GOOD news. Greenlight At the Mountains of Madness too you drolls!
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

movies.msn.com/paralleluniverse/hobbit-cast-revealed/story/feature/?gt1=28101
Peter Jackson Reveals Cast for 'The Hobbit'

Martin Freeman will play Bilbo Baggins, while Richard Armitage will play Thorin Oakenshield

By Jeff Sneider
TheWrap.com

Martin Freeman will indeed play Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit," with Richard Armitage as head dwarf Thorin Oakenshield, New Line and Warner Bros. announced Thursday.

Other castmembers -- all of them to play dwarves -- include Rob Kazinsky, Aidan Turner, Graham McTavish, John Callen, Stephen Hunter, Mark Hadlow and Peter Hambleton.

Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis are also expected to reprise their respective roles as the powerful wizard Gandalf and the wretch Gollum.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Awesome. I really like Martin Freeman, and so now I'm even more pumped. I think he fits Bilbo well.

As for the rest, well, going through the list and googling the images, there are a lot of young beefcakes in the dwarves as well as some older gents, which I suppose makes sense. And I see that they have fairly different faces as well, which is good as they tend to all blend together. However, under the makeup it might be harder to tell them apart still. We'll see.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

This just in: Roman Polanski expresses interest in making a feature film in NZ. Prime Minister John Key commits to lowering age of consent to 13.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:haha: :faint:
fall far and well Pilots!
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

The one thing that bugs me about 'The Hobbit' is the 3D. Wholly unnecessary.
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Sunbaneglasses wrote:Ummmmmm, I just want to see Bilbo fight the spiders. :roll:
That was a sarcastic response to all the bickering that was going on in the thread. But I SERIOUSLY want this film to be made, and i want it to be very good. The Hobbit was read to me by my father when I was 6 and I have read it to my boys. The Hobbit is very special to me and it sparked a lifetime love of good fantasy literature. (and I do want to see Bilbo fight the spiders).
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I'm right there with you SBG. It was really the first book I really picked up on my own just for the joy of reading. I picked it up from the school library right as I was getting excited about chapter books, thanks particularly to a teacher reading us Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. I enjoyed that, and had enjoyed the Rankin Bass version that had run for the first time on TV (I'm seriously showing my age now), and I ended up just falling in love with it. Then my sister let me know there were three other books following it.
Actually, now that I think about it, I think the Return of the King Rankin Bass version had just come out, but I saw the original airing of the Hobbit when I was a bit younger. Because I remember while reading the Hobbit not being concerned about Gandalf during the times he disappeared because I knew he was in the later bits. And that spoiled it when I eventually did get around to reading The Lord of the Rings as well, which made the aftermath of Moria a little confusing, but also not as powerful emotionally.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I followed your link, and then saw this one:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqVD0swvWU&feature=fvw

How the LOTR should have ended. It's basically the same complaint we've heard for years: why didn't the eagles just drop it in the volcano? But the end banter is pretty funny.

"That was extremely easy."
"Can you imagine what might have happened if we'd tried to walk the whole way?"
"Someone might have died!"
"It is a very long way."
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Amen, brutha. I was sad when they didn't have the song in Peter Jackson's version.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Update on the Hobbit.

Post by Phantasm »

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12391286
Director Jackson sets start date for Hobbit filming

Filming of the two Hobbit movies will finally begin in New Zealand next month, director Peter Jackson has said.

"Despite some delays we are fully back on track and very excited to get started," he said.

Problems faced by the movies included a threat by their makers to move filming after a row over actors' wages.

The films, the first of which is due out in December 2012, were further delayed when Jackson was hospitalised last month because of stomach pains.

Jackson, whose Lord Of The Rings trilogy was also filmed in his homeland of New Zealand, underwent surgery for a perforated ulcer and was discharged on Thursday.

Warner Bros and New Line had previously considered taking the production away from New Zealand after acting unions threatened to boycott the films in protest over payments to actors.

The studios agreed to film the movies in New Zealand after the government granted them tax breaks worth millions of dollars and changed employment laws.

The films, which will star Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, were earlier stalled by problems including rows over distribution rights and the exit of original director Guillermo del Toro.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

That's too bad. While I like what Jackson did with the first trilogy (though it wasn't perfect, but then what is?), I was really looking forward to seeing another voice take over. Especially one as talented and unique as Guillermo del Toro.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Cameras are officially rolling. Note how they didn't mention "union strike."
– 16 mins ago, March 20, 2011

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – Filming has started on director Peter Jackson's production of "The Hobbit" in New Zealand.

Pre-production on the $50 million, two-movie production was plagued by problems including studio funding problems, a threatened actors' boycott and ulcer surgery for Jackson.

The director posted a studio news release on his website Monday saying production has commenced in New Zealand on the much-anticipated project.

British actor Martin Freeman stars as hobbit Bilbo Baggins alongside Elijah Wood, Sir Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett and Orlando Bloom. The movies are based J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy novel about a short, hairy-footed hero.

"The Hobbit" is a prequel to "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy by Tolkien that Jackson helmed to blockbuster film success.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

No, they didn't mention "union strike," but they did mention "a threatened actors' boycott."

Ah, sugarcoating :)
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Wait ... Frodo is in this movie? WTF?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote:Wait ... Frodo is in this movie? WTF?
I concur, especially given the fact that Frodo was born long after the events in The Hobbit.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I don't recall Legolas being in the Hobbit, either. But at least he was alive then.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval

Return to “Flicks”