Mistakes

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Mistakes

Post by Aleksandr »

I'm about 2/3 through the book and twice now I've caught the same mistake. The text refers to turiya Herem touching Linden and telling her that she is being specially forged...
But that was samadhi Sheol (as Gibbon ma Mhoram) when Linden was his prisoner in Revelstone.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

On p. 539,
Spoiler
formication is mispelled. It isn't used at all in Part 1, Chapter 11, when it would have been entirely appropriate. When it's finally used on p. 539, and is not entirely necessary, it's spelled wrong.
Perhaps I am a bit too picky. :)
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Auleliel wrote:Perhaps I am a bit too picky. :)
Not at all, Owlie. I just finished that earlier chapter and was wondering why SRD neglected to use that word when it would have been entirely in context.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

There is one place where Stave uses a contraction while speaking (he says something like "I don't" or something like that). It was jarring. I'm certain this was unintentional.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I think there were some editorial errors as well... at least in the American edition.

I may have to see how the British edition fairs in this respect :D
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I completely agree with you, Auleliel, about the use of the word formication in this book.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

Moreover formication is spelled...fornication. Hopefully later editions will correct this as such a goof at a moment of high tension creates unintentional humor.
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

Borillar wrote:There is one place where Stave uses a contraction while speaking (he says something like "I don't" or something like that). It was jarring. I'm certain this was unintentional.
Where was this? I hate missing stuff like that - I want to check to make sure it was the copy editor's fault. :biggrin:
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

The use of the real-world reference to Sargasso (Sea) by a Giant is very out place.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

amanibhavam wrote:The use of the real-world reference to Sargasso (Sea) by a Giant is very out place.
I don't recall the context of the Giant saying that, but I'd bet it's used because of what sargasso is...dense growth of seaweed, or maybe an algea...not after the place [which got its name cuz the stuff grows there a lot].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Vraith wrote:
amanibhavam wrote:The use of the real-world reference to Sargasso (Sea) by a Giant is very out place.
I don't recall the context of the Giant saying that, but I'd bet it's used because of what sargasso is...dense growth of seaweed, or maybe an algea...not after the place [which got its name cuz the stuff grows there a lot].
Affirmative.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

Borillar wrote:There is one place where Stave uses a contraction while speaking (he says something like "I don't" or something like that). It was jarring. I'm certain this was unintentional.
I remember noticing this, I think it was shortly after the fight with Roger and the cavewights.

But I remember seeing quite a lot of typographical errors, I guess it's to be expected but it does kind of jolt you out of the reading experience.
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

The little things like this make me wonder about the bigger problems with the book.
When it started going, it went pretty fast in places.
But man, it dragged.
I think the constant reintroduction of new characters, here in the third book of a "quadrilogy" which is in itself the third series of books, is problematic.
I like meeting Loric and Kev and all, but the bone beings, the forestals? It's getting to be a bit much. All the Insequent? The Ardent's HORSE, for crying out loud?
The mage that Foul fooled?
If this is indeed the last forever series of this successful series, why add additional back story and depth when you should be wrapping up.
I don't do the GI, but I'm wondering about who is actually his editor and how much that person is allowed to do.
SRD is a great writer. But a great editor sometimes just has to say, no. Rein it in. Wrap it up.
And catch the fornication. My eyes aren't great and it is getting harder and harder to read. I had to look at that three times before I was sure it was the wrong one.
And having just a few years back going to the dictionary to figure out what formication was, I thought this one was inexcusable.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:
And having just a few years back going to the dictionary to figure out what formication was, I thought this one was inexcusable.
I'm right there with you. Besides inexcusable, it just pissed me off. :evil:
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser

Return to “Against All Things Ending”