Seems to be dragging...

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

chaplainchris
Stonedownor

Post by chaplainchris »

Orlion wrote:Yes, I can see why people would complain. It was an extraordinarily long time for characters to sit around in one spot and debate. I've never seen anything like it. No writer has ever attempted it, to my knowledge. The first 5 chapters are basically one long 103 page scene!!

But I think that's exactly why it was an astounding piece of writing. No other writer could have pulled that off. As I was reading--conscious that I had made the above statement--I felt the press of time and the gradual thickening of pages "to the left," and the growing realization that my stated hopes would be dashed. But I also found myself not caring. I was continuously amazed that Donaldson had this much to say. Where does it all come from? Very little seemed like filler. The vast majority of it seemed necessary. The fact that so much occurred to him at all was just shocking.
This was exactly my feeling. I had a vague awareness in the back of my head - "this is strange - books don't get written this way - we're just *standing around talking*. Going from topic to topic. What is this, a thread on Kevin's Watch?" And yet, although it was just talk, it was shocking, with revelation after revelation, consequence after consequence, and it filled me with a weird and different form of narrative tension that kept me turning pages. It was very cool.

Re: Orlion's spoiler. Yes, it is an interesting thought, and I think it was necesary for that to be done before another thing could be done that I'll talk about when we're free to do so. :) But it's in the text.
"The glory of God is a human being who is fully alive." - St. Irenaeus
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Um ... that quote was from me. Not Orlion. :)
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
chaplainchris
Stonedownor

Post by chaplainchris »

Sorry, Orlion and Zarathustra! A mistake in editing, no harm intended! I liked the quote!
"The glory of God is a human being who is fully alive." - St. Irenaeus
timetraveler8
Servant of the Land

Post by timetraveler8 »

Zarathustra wrote:
chaplainchris wrote:To say nothing of the forgiveness/healing of Kevin Landwaster. As someone who has experienced depression, and tried to hide it (as you do when in that state), and was terrifed to be exposed, and received words of grace and healing when I most expected condemnation...well. Kevin's been in despair for something like 8000 years. That moment of healing between Kevin and his forbears, that "we are grieved but not shamed", that was really powerful.
I really liked the lead-up to this moment, the discussion B/D/L had among themselves about fatherhood before they decided to let Berek deliver the news. And I really liked the concept of what they were doing. I agree with it. But the execution bothered me a little. The "we forgive you, Kevin" group-hug just seemed kind of lame. (Why would spectres need to hug? Can they feel touch?)

And the fact that it was set-up to contrast how unforgivable Linden's desecration was ... wow! She's worse than Kevin. Pretty powerful stuff.
I like that the Dead hugged each other. I thought that it showed that being dead did not mean that they are less real in their universe, or maybe with the Laws of Death and Life broken, that the Dead may follow Covenant back to life?

Who wouldn't like to see Mhoram and Foamfollower back in TLD? :biggrin:
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Zarathustra wrote:I'm still in chapter two, and I'm fully enjoying the snail's pace of examing the characters' emotions in handfuls of paragraphs at a time. The care which Donaldson takes to explain the difference between Linden's *dismay* and the alternative of *despair* is just breathtaking in its detail. Mapping out these flavors of human experience is fascinating to me. I think the moment has earned it.
"Dismay" and "despair" are described in metaphoric detail. Thankfully it only required one or two sentences. Can you imagine what reading this would be like if he went on for paragraphs about the distinction?
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Yep, you're correct. It takes way over 100 pages for anyone to move from that same spot in Andelain. I made it a little further then gave up. Because they went to another place and stayed there for an interminable amount of time, too. (Still there when I put it down.) I'm recommending only the First and Second Chronicles to my friends. To my enemies, I'm recommending the Final.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

slow

Post by Roynish »

The pacing of this book is one of the most excruciating reads of my life. Yet I am compelled to feel the pain. Donaldson has a spell on me. (i loathed all the characters in The Gap yet still read it and may again).
Noone moves. They well just talk and talk and we get Linden anguish 101 in various degrees every 4th paragraph. Its painful. Which is the authors point. It works like no other part of a novel I have ever read.
Donaldson makes reading unpleasant I would say its one of his true gifts.
How many people do you know that never perservered with TC because he was a whiny bastard and they never got past LFB. If you understand Donaldson at all its meant to be difficult. Wether the fans can cope with this level of difficult reading is another thing. I have not reread the ROE or FR before embarking on this. I summon up the courage to keep going. Because somehow I know its good for me. The man that created the sunbane, vain and saltheart foamfollower deserves a little faith for his vision.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”