Rogue Trader - Masquerade

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Garrius looked over his peers shoulder at the gathering crowd. he sensed an opportunity.

"Then perhaps we give them what they want Lord Captain. " Garrius started to address those near by "Send down two to scout the base for the exit. One from both Lord Galens and my own retinues. The rest of you, prepare to defend this way down. Peraton you are in charge of security here. Let us Shepherd the crowd down the rope. Women first, and mix the order so no one group here leaves before the rest. Any who attempt to force exit are to be dealt with calmly and forced into line. Someone ensure the rope is not overloaded. Have people at the bottom to do their best to secure a way to prevent others from falling."

Garrius turned to Andrea and Julient. "I must thank you both for this plan. Let us pray to the Emperor that it shall work. My thanks ladies."

Garrius moved towards the crowd, standing on some furniture so as to better address them. Removing the cloth covering his face, he spoke

"Lords and Ladies! I am Lord Garrius of the Amphael dynasty. Lord Galen and myself have constructed a means of escape from this tomb. Unlike others," Garrius cast a glance towards the pit, "We are not so selfish to leave you to your doom. Now order here is imperative to our safe withdrawal, form up in an orderly fashion. Men, please aid our staff to defend the rest as we retreat. Any other Lord Traders wishing to offer the aid of their staff to our own will be appreciated. With the Emperors mercy we will be free of this shortly. My staff shall guide you from here."

With this, Garrius turned to watch the Robotic wardens for their response, hand resting on his saber.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[Garrius had an astounding success on his Fel test to influence the crowd (counted it as Command). Despite a steep modifier, the success was by three degrees. Those present in the crowd calm enough to listen to the terms and, with the watch of Peraton and others, they agree. Moriah Heale remains silent, though her retinue let it be known that she agrees to the scheme.

Peraton vows to be the last person to descend the rope, ensuring that disasters are avoided. Strangely, the sentries and their master on the balcony give no reaction whatsoever. Indeed, they do not even seem to be aware of anything happening beyond their immediate area. A handful of brave people aproach the sentries with makeshift weapons, though the sentries always cow threats by displaying the blades in their arms
]

Andrea, deemed through her ingenuity and display of agility to be daring and capable enough, is one of the first down the rope. A small group begins to grow, assembling on the base of the pit. Below, the pit is surrounded by ebon pillars, beyond which a chamber mirroring the one above is arrayed. This chamber, however, appears to be much cooler and darker than the hall above. Its walls in shrouds, and its floors dusty the chamber has a tomb-like quality. Stone masques of death peer from the darkness.

The Golden Throne sits abandoned at the base of the pit. Beside it, the bubbling remnants of flesh and skeleton slowly dissolve. A discarded bolt-pistol lies near the growing sludge.

Somewhere, in the darkness, the faintest sound of whispering can be heard.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

The dress had been too bulky to wear while climing the curtains, so she's resorted to ripping the under layers out of it before starting her initial ascent. To provide some small amount of modesty, realizing that her undergarments were just a bit too risque to be all she wore for the rest of this escape, she did leave a single layer of the outer cloth, roughly torn at around knee level.

Later, at Garrius' words, the Seneschal bows to her Lord at his compliment, then scurries down the makeshift rope to the bottom. Straining her augmented senses to their fullest, she tries to find out what's down here through the dust and darkness.

Andrea looks around the area for enemies, then quickly picks up the bolt pistol. She briefly scans for some kind of trap, [but not thoroughly so assume a basic Perception check, not any kind of advanced skill check] then gingerly holds the pistol close to her body, hidden in the in the tattered remains of her skirt so as not to give away that she has it to any enemies she might stumble across.
  • This will go to Lord Amphael, once he descends. It didn't seem to do it's previous owner much good, but it might give us an advantage in all this.
While looking around as more people descended the rope, she idly wondered who might have become the disolving pool of flesh next to the gun. Deltael had been naked, though he could have had such a valuable weapon hidden somewhere within the platform. Or equally as likely, the Inquisitor might also have had it on his person. Either way, likely one of the two was dead, though there was no way to tell if the gun had belonged to the winner or the loser. Or even if the two had fought each other, or some third person joining the fight.

Andrea also considers that since Deltael had come into the party through this tunnel, then he likely had come through this very room to get here. The dust covering much of the room might give a clue as to how to exit, or at least how Deltael had entered. She didn't leave the area of the descending crowd, but did look around in case there was an obvious dust-free path she could spot.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[Andrea's cursory examination of the surrounding floor shows that the dust is less settled in the area which leads stage-ward (i.e. the shortest distance to a room edge). However, she manages to hear that the whispering is coming from the opposite direction, in the rear of the room]

Turning the bolt pistol over in her hands, Andrea notices the symbol of the Inquisition emblazoned on the weapon's handle. Glancing at the bubbling mass of bones on the ground, she has little doubt that she sees the remains of Inquisitor Stavram.

'Guests! At long last!'

Lumen orbs, concealed in the eyes of statues, flare with a sudden intensity, banishing the dark of this under-hall and cast long shadows across the musty interior. The walls are lined with alcoves filled with bones. At the far end of the room, balconies can be seen, standing exactly under the where they would be in the ballroom. Two figures stand atop a balcony, one clothed in black robes, with a mask of dark bandages; the other being Deltael.

At the base of the balcony, where two sets of stairs ascend, eight men in the uniforms of Deltael's guards stand watch. The figure in black holds Deltael by the neck, pressing a cylindrical object against his flesh.

'Come forward. All of you,' the black-robed stranger calls.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Before she responds to the call of the man she assumes to be the real enemy, or perhaps another roboty servant of him, Andrea glances around to those already on the ground.
  • Is there anybody there with more authority to speak than me? I surely hope so. This is feeling distinctly military, and I have this horrible feeling that I'm the only one here with a real weapon.
She then looks to the goo that had once been a mighty Inquisitor of the Empire, and suspects that having the weapon would perhaps do her less good than it did him.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea looks about, and glances up the banner-rope to see whom is descending. So far, she sees no Rogue Trader present. Navigator Julient and a score of others are beside her, evidently waiting for her to take some action.

'Come! Come forward!'

Andrea notices that the voice of the man holding Deltael sounds identical to the robed man in the hall above.

A few of the crowd take tentative steps forward, while Deltael's renegade guards almost casually train their lasguns on the crowd.

Julient stares down at the bubbling remains of Stavram, and back to Andrea. 'Whoever he is means to kill Deltael. With a crowd watching, I suspect. If we can save him, there will be quite a reward, I'm sure'.

.... .... .... ....

Above the pit, Garrius and Galen direct more to climb downward. Heale waits impatiently in line, while her subordinates begin to muscle others out of her way.

Near the robot sentries, a crowd looks set to charge.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Montresor wrote:Julient stares down at the bubbling remains of Stavram, and back to Andrea. 'Whoever he is means to kill Deltael. With a crowd watching, I suspect. If we can save him, there will be quite a reward, I'm sure'.
Andrea makes no move to "come forward" but allows other refugees to do so if they wish. Quietly, she replies to Julient, "If we do not save him, his killer will likely allow all the witnesses to go free, to spread the word far and wide of his victory. And with Deltael dead, even if he has an heir, his holdings will fall into chaos. There would be much opportunity for riches to anyone who wished to take some small corner of it."

"Gabriel and Lord-Captain Galen would likely accuse me of cowardice again for saying this, but I see no reason to risk our lives trying to save a man who gleefully left us all to die up above. When our safety is assured simply by watching him receive justice."

"In addition to that, I have been specifically ordered by my own Lord-Captain not to engage in any military behavior. I believe that a rescue attempt would fall under that heading, don't you?"

Andrea looks around further, still not seeing Garrius or Galen. Of course, those two honorable Lords would stay above until last. Heale will be here first, even. Then, she makes up her mind. She quietly, and as unobtrusively as she can, hands the bolt pistol Julient. "For Amphael."

She turns back to their captor and calls out, "What are your intentions toward us? To witness your revenge against Deltael, or to share in his fate? The man who left us all to your trap, when we were guests of his house. The man who seems to have earned whatever fate you have planned for him. I dare say few among us would balk at the thought of bearing witness to justice, today."

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Above, Garrius begins to take stock of the situation. Looking down the pit he notices a large crowd gathering. He turns back towards Galen.

"There is quite a few down the line now. Perhaps one of us should head down to guide them. What do you think?"

Looking towards the crowd near the sentries, Garrius is unsure.

"Of course, it looks as if we could also need all the help we can get up here..."
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:"What are your intentions toward us? To witness your revenge against Deltael, or to share in his fate? The man who left us all to your trap, when we were guests of his house. The man who seems to have earned whatever fate you have planned for him. I dare say few among us would balk at the thought of bearing witness to justice, today."
Deltael tries to blurt out his defence before he is silenced by pressure applied upon his neck by his captor.

The figure on the balcony calls back: 'Worms like yourselves do not deserve to pretend to the service of the God-Emperor! Greed, avarice, and abandon are your only masters. You travel to the uncharted stars preaching His name and His works, but it is only lip-service! I admire the Imperium's foes more for their honesty, than I do her servants!

'But I have done what needs be done. As a true servant of the Emperor, I will take my vengeance upon this loathsome tyrant. The rest of you will bring about your own deaths. Not long now, I expect. Upstairs, desperation and boldness will bring this whole ceiling caving in around us'.

At this, the guards at the base of the balcony look to one another in confusion.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea notices the guards' reaction, and calls out loudly so all can hear (including, nudge-nudge, Garrius and the other leader-types still up top).

"A true servant of the Emperor wouldn't destroy that which was His. Even we impure tools of the Emperor's will further his goals here, if only imperfectly. In His name, you would bar the Emperor's progress entirely, and deny us worms any chance of rising in His eyes."

"Do not try to couch your vengeance in righteous terms. What you have to settle with Deltael, and with your successor in the Inquisition, may be just. However, involving the rest of us is merely childish spite, and only serves to demean whatever justice you might otherwise have claimed."

"What hurts your case even further is that you're not even here yourself to exact your revenge. One of those automata up above spoke as you, earlier. And now you're down here holding Deltael. Do these guards who've so cravenly betrayed their lord know that you're planning their deaths along with our own? And that you're probably somewhere else entirely, at no personal risk when the ceiling collapses in upon us? And them?"

[Spend a Fate Point on whatever Fellowship based test is required to try to convince the guards they're about to die, and should join our side instead.]

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[No Fate Point was necessary. You achieved a major success. I hate to cut this short, but I will summarise what happens. Feel free to describe it yourself if you like. Andrea's speech causes the guards to change their allegiance. Deltael is not saved in time, the poison is injected into his neck the moment his captor notices that things have gone against his planb. The guards fire an instant later - two las blasts sear through the robed man, cutting him down instantly. Meanwhile, Deltael is agonisingly reduced to liquiscent bone and blood, just as Stavram had been.

In the level above, emboldened and desperate nobles finally charge the automatons. As soon as they come close, all sentries detonate, filling a large part of the hall with fire and rubble. The floor gives away under the immense blast, crushing a score of those beneath. Above, dozens and dozens of men and women are slain.

In the hours which follow, chirugical aid is given, and the dead are counted. Word is sent for Deltael's heir to make haste to the Koronus Expanse. It will be up to players to take any other actions here, otherwise I will assume everyone will return to the Invictus
]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea rises from the rubble, her gown already destroyed from her previous climbing, but now it's covered in dirt. Even the air filter had finally given up, as she could taste the dust in the air she breathed.

Activities in order of importance:
  • 1. Find Garrius, provide him any assistence he needs (medical, un-burying, etc.)
    2. Find anyone else from the Invictus, provide any assistence they need.
    3. Find Julient, and ask her for the bolter back.
    4. Go over to the remains of the robed man, to see if it was also an automaton, or actually a man. Just out of curiosity.

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Garrius shook himself awake. The fall had caused him to lose consciousness briefly.All around him the cries of the wounded and dying could be heard. Shaking his way free of the rubble caused a wince of pain has a broken rib shifted, but none the less he gained his footing.

Clutching his side, he found Andrea. Instructing her to search for other members of the Invictus, he himself turns to search the rubble for his crew and the other Rogue Trader lords who had been present. As time goes on, and more of his staff come forward he directs them towards the rescue efforts of any and all who can be saved, while he himself searches for his peers.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

[Sharing some info I got from Montresor via PM.]

All of the Rogue Traders were near the shaft we used to climb down, which did NOT cave in. So they were all relatively undamaged; none of them died at the very least.

Also, it looks like the robed man was actually made of flesh. He was destroyed by las fire before the ceiling fell on him, but it was a fleshy sounding impact.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The better part of ten hours is employed in clearing rubble, searching for survivors, and helping the injured. Due to their distance from the blast, all of the Rogue Traders and most of their retinue survived relatively unscathed. The loss of life amongst other nobles, however, was high. The destabilisation of power in the region as a result of the massacre will likely be great.

Once things have settled and the Amphael party is preparing to leave the battlescruiser and return to their frigate, Rogue Trader Galen approaches.

'Seneschal Chan-Gauthier, I heard what you did below and you have my thanks for seeing that justice was meted to our unknown persecutor. It is a shame that Cyrus Deltael did not survive. Although his heir, Theodore Deltael may soon be on his way to the Koronus Expanse, there is likely to be significant turmoil and conflict. The Deltael empire will be watched with envious eyes'.

As Galen speaks, the explorers become aware that Moriah Heale is watching with keen and cold interest.

Galen continues. 'Garrius, I believe you're a man worthy of more respect than your Warrant entitles you to. You are also a man surrounded by a capable retinue, and a resourceful Seneschal. I am going to stand and back House Deltael in whatever conflict occurs. I would like to know that the Amphaels will stand with me and others who remain aligned to the Deltaels. If you do not, I would prefer you remain neutral. It is in everyone's interest if we do not indulge in slanderous talk about the late Cyrus Deltael's actions.

'If you weren't about to embark upon an endeavour I would offer a sizeable sum to hire your vessel's services. However, perhaps you could accept a small delay to your schedule and provide escort to a small cargo fleet soon to leave Footfall?'

[You can accept or decline this offer. If you accept it, it will be the first part of the next stage of the campaign, but providing an escort will put you about two to three weeks behind schedule. Galen is offering an exceptional sum of money and material for this favour, and this task would translate to a +1PF endeavour. Nothing else will happen here, and you will all return to the Invictus without incident. Just make whatever final posts you require - perhaps even indicating what you will do in the week or so before departing Footfall]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

To RT Galen: "I thank you for your kind words, My Lord. I am also curious what part the Inquisition will play in the future. One of their own killed by one claiming to have formerly an Inquisitor himself... I can't imagine that any of this is done with."

To Garrius: "My Lord-Captain. I would suggest that we accept this work from Lord Galen. Especially with the political chaos that will be happening with Lord Delteal's murder, and any attention brought by the Inquisition as well... My Lord, all of Delteal's empire will be fought over by his heir and those who see an opportunity to take sections from his Heir. We hope to build our own family's fortunes again through trade with this sector; the conflict is unavoidable, so we should at least choose a side quickly, and become firmly entrenched. We will need allies, and his Lordship Galen is a most worthy one. With his sponsorship to the new Lord Deltael, we would have two powerful allies."

"And quite honestly, I assume that the new Lord Deltael will have much to do to fully cement his position in the sector. That would mean quite a lot of opportunities for a small group such as ours to acquire many endeavours. To be sure, there will be risk, but the benefits to the Amphael family of being trusted allies of the Deltael empire are enormous."

"We can explain it to our current customers that we are shoring up an alliance with the local powers to ensure that there are no issues later with their project. They intend to have a long-term presence here in the system, and it's well worth a few weeks of delay to ensure smooth relations, especially in this coming time of great trouble."

Andrea says all of this where Galen can hear it.

As for the rest of the week in Footfall, Andrea doesn't do much of interest, from a role-playing point of view.

She does take a squad of guards with her the next day down to Delta-X-7 to recruit ratings. She won't attempt to cause conflict with Moriah Heale's people, but anyone with nowhere to go should be easy pickings. (She would try to work the angle of "Garrius Amphael takes care of his crew, and he'll take care of you as well." to play off how they're being thrown out of their current homes by someone else. Maybe they'll feel grateful and start out with a bit of loyalty. Might improve the overall morale on the ship.) If at all possible, she's looking for some kind of single coherant group. Not a narco-gang, but a group with leadership and goals. One which can be dealt with collectively, and one with whose leaders Andrea can form a relationship. Also, one who will police it's own people and keep down on the amount of strife that will come with integration onto the ship.

She makes sure she gets the replacement supplies the ship needs.

She keeps an eye out for any small gifts that she can get for the VIPs on the ship.

She finds an expert tailor to make her a replacement dress, since the one she wore to the Masquerade was destroyed.

And, to feed her paranoia, she looks for a hand-held Auspex. It can detect invisible gasses, and can be carried on her person at all times. This will probably require an Acquisition roll.

The Inquisitor's bolter will go with the other artifacts in the display case in Andrea's office in the Librarium. It will be kept under a cloth, so none may see the markings.

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Garrius listened to Andrea as she spoke. When she finished he nodded firmly, thinking silently for a moment. When he answered he leant in close where only Galen could hear.

"Galen, you are a worthy Lord Rogue Trader, and as such I trust you. Whilst I trust you, your other allies have yet to prove themselves to me. As such, I will aid you with this escort mission. And you have my support in your future endeavors. But I will not openly go to war for The Deltael dynasty or its other supporters until I have seen their worth." Garrius glanced in Heels direction.

"Transfer the escort details to my Seneschal in the coming days. Keep me abreast of happenings in this conflict and I throw in my support but for now think of me as a personal ally but politically neutral, with tentative curiosity towards your people."

Garrius grasped Galen by the hand and made a slight nod in his direction.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[Galen will later inform the Invictus of the cargo fleet's destination and make the relevant introductions.

In the week that follows, Footfall seems to be reeling from the loss of so many influential people. Large numbers of vessels make hasty departures
]

Return to “Rogue Trader”