Rogue Trader - Footfall

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

Carefully retracing and marking his steps, carrying the survivor, returning to the top, to reload, and call for more assistance....especially from Navigator Praetus.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Exhausted and demoralised, the Armsmen are forced to take stock and fall back to safer positions. Those ratings who joined their search appear crushed at the news that the missing children are most likely dead. Disheartened, they return to their comrades to bring the black news.

Drak-Kung attempts to contact Senior Navigator Praetus, but finds that he is exploring Footfall. It is not until a full half day later that Drak-Kung manages to schedule a meeting with Praetus.

[I assume that Praetus is informed to come and see Drak-Kung the moment he returns to the ship. Most likely the meeting will take place in Drak-Kung's quarters, or on the Bridge. I shall leave the details to both of you]
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Navigator Praetus was standing near a group of heavily augmented servitors, as he glanced around a brightly-lit cavern-section of Footfall. Several ex-guardsmen lounged near some faded ammo-crates, and behind them, near a roughened rockcrete wall, was a floating servitor skull. The navigator kept his distance, and finding the near-mindless group of servitors poor company - not to mention disturbing and base - he moved away, not surreptitiously.

Entering the small cavern was a lithe female wearing grimy flak armour. The navigator sneered at her with distaste, and cursed himself for even venturing into the infamous station. However, with practiced but feigned civility he registered her presence with a small nod as she approached him.

"Drak-Kung wishes to speak with you," she said without any tone of respect in her voice.

Praetus smiled thinly as he replied. "Yes? And where?"
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

'A spare lounge will be fine for the purpose, Lord-Navigator,' the woman says, before leading Praetus back towards the frigate.

[Whatever journey necessary will be taken - i.e. shuttle, rail etc - until you are brought to a small lounge room with armchairs and relatively sumptuous decoration. This is the kind of room the senior crew tend to relax in but, for now, it is being used by Drak-Kung to inform Praetus of events]
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

I inform the Navigator of the recent happenings....the hullghasts, and the dire actions of Karis, turning upon fellow crew.
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Praetus the Second was lounging back on a high-backed chair, hands folded on his lap. His boots were raised on the seat of another chair, his hat lowered down over his third eye, obscuring his black eyes in shadow. The Navigator simply smiled as Drak Kung relayed his very brief overview of the events.

Praetus II waved a hand in the air languidly, an air of idle interest in his voice. "Very intriguing," he said, "but I am no more close to understanding what happened. You appear to be brief on details; as I am the head Navigator on this ship, I need to fully understand everything before I dispense my authority. Although it does not need to be said that I am driven by anger of the things you allude to."

The navigator again folded his hands on his lap and resumed his smile as he looked directly at Drak Kung.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[Owing to Drak-Kung's wounds, the loss of life amongst search parties, and a general atmosphere of fear the exploration of the Lower Levels ceases. Captain Trulitch refuses to fight Drak-Kung on a point of honour, advising him that he will match him when his health is repaired and they have the opportunity.

Experience for all continuing players, including all XP previously unspent XP (some players have barely spent any XP):

Garrius Amphael - 380
Andrea Chan-Gauthier - 608
Injerian Praetus - 704
Darius Zarkov - 630
Drak-Kung - 856

This includes a sizeable bonus for player patience in waiting to get this game started again. That's my way of thanking everyone.

I will leave this post here for anyone to leave brief instructions as to what they wish to do for the last week or so in Footfall. On either Friday or Saturday (my time) I will close the thread and start the new section
]

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Arriving back on the Invictus Zarkov stripped off his scorched and scarred flak armour and reported to sick bay. Interns quickly bandaged his larger wounds and disinfected his entire body at his request. The medicae personnel urged him to stay, but once his wounds were bound and treated, he made his way to his cabin.

His naval dress uniform hung where he had left it, medals glinting in the light of the lumen globes. The splendid uniform was a stark contrast to the haggard, ripped battle uniform he had worn under his flak armour. He became aware of his stench, a fetid mix of sewer water and sweat. He had not slept in some time, but he had to review the men and take watch on the bridge.

Removing his stinking clothes, Zarkov began to wash himself, careful to avoid the fresh bindings. The wounds from the duel still ached; he could see the rusty brown stain of dried blood through the old dressings. His more recent injuries throbbed fiercely, making it difficult to concentrate on what he was doing. He wiped away the dark, dusty filth on his face to reveal the pallid skull beneath, washing away the grime of Footfall with contempt and a bitter relief. Donning his dress uniform, he was at last confident that he presented a suitable picture of leadership. Garrius’ words rang in his head as he walked slowly to the bridge.
Garrius Amphael wrote:"Morale is an issue at the moment. I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter sometime later this week cycle. Perhaps after the masque. Put some thought into it if you get the moment please. Dismissed."
Morale was indeed an issue, Zarkov thought. He could see it in the faces of the men as he passed. They looked tired…the effects of the storm still fresh. While he received plenty of tired salutes, many ratings did not even register the presence of a senior officer. The atmosphere on the bridge however, was very different.

“Attention on deck!” Tyor roared as the First Officer entered the bridge. The bridge staff snapped to attention, saluting the Lieutenant Commander as he walked to the helm. He looked at the men and women arrayed before him. “Stand easy.” He said, nodding to Tyor. The bridge staff resumed their duties. Tyor remained at attention.

“Tyor, report.”

“Not much to report sir.” Tyor replied gruffly. “Ship's been in dock taking on supplies. Master-at-arms saw fit to send a mission into the lower decks to retrieve the missing messengers, something went wrong. The children are dead sir, killed by ‘ghasts, it looks like.” “Mutants.” Zarkov spat. Most large ships had their skeletons in the lower decks, the Invictus was no exception.

“What of the Lord-Captain?” Zarkov asked.

“I’m not sure Sir, he may not have returned yet. I haven’t seen him or the Seneschal on the bridge.”

Zarkov nodded. “There’s one other thing, Sir.” Tyor beckoned him to a flashing screen by the helm. “I’ve been picking up some interesting readings from the Maiestas. Her shielding and jammers are pretty strong, and theres a lot of background clutter from the port, but I've been working on cracking her. Our sensors have detected power outages on several of the upper levels. She was lit up like a lantern before the festivities, now she’s down to running lights. Could be just the guests leaving, of course." He paused. "We haven’t picked up any shuttles however.”

Zarkov frowned. “Good work Tyor. Keep an eye on it.” The helmsman nodded, eminently grateful to have something to occupy his time while the ship was docked.

Zarkov began his check of the bridge, beginning as always in the gunnery section. Sub-lieutenant Bohn gave him a crisp salute as he passed, which Zarkov returned. Morale on the bridge seemed good, the Officers on deck keeping the bridge staff busy with drills and diagnostic checks. He was sure however, that the situation below decks would be much graver. The crew were still counting the cost from the storm, and with mutants below deck the atmosphere would be tense. He resolved to assess the situation as soon as he was able.

[Zarkov will finish a watch-cycle on the bridge, assessing morale as he does so. Then he will retire and get some much needed sleep for 6 hours, leaving Tyor or the most senior officer in command. He will then return to the bridge, relegate command to a senior officer and proceed below decks, first to the dorsal batteries, then to the lance crew. He will try and gauge the morale of the gunnery crew by asking officers and NCO's for honest reports, and through observation and talking with ratings. After completing the gunnery sections, Zarkov will move to the officers mess, asking the same questions. All this will likely take several hours, after which he will return to the bridge.

Over the next week, as per Garrius' instructions, Zarkov will visit and assess morale in as many areas of the ship as he has time for, paying particular attention to important ship systems, interviewing key clan heads and visiting crew quarters. The idea behind this in game terms is to gain an accurate knowledge (or as close as possible) of the crews overall morale level (this can be P.Med to me if it is not to be known otherwise) which Zarkov can relay, as best he can, to Garrius when he makes his report.
]
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.

Return to “Rogue Trader”