no dogs

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

no dogs

Post by Lord Zombiac »

no dogs in TC... why?
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Because the Land is beautiful :biggrin:

But as far as a simple "SRD didn't need them" answer, the Land is a very dangerous place... what with massive disasters like the Ritual and the Sunbane, the only animals that could survive, I think, are the ones that are helped out by higher beings. So cows, chickens, goats, horses were preserved by humans because they were useful to them, and Foul preserved kresh because they were useful to him. The rest died out or are so rare that you probably won't stumble upon one.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Re: no dogs

Post by Ur Dead »

Lord Zombiac wrote:no dogs in TC... why?
Ur-vile ate them...
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Dogs are highly useful creatures. They can be guards, pack animals, they can pull sleds, they corral livestock.

They communicate with human beings on a higher level than other animals, even apes, who can use sign language-- dogs understand us.

I plan on writing a novella or short story in fantasy written from a dog's point of view.

I will anthropomorphize the dog as little as possible.

As far as I know, this will be a first in fantasy fiction.

All fantasy, (including my own) noticeably lacks in dogs.
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
hyarmion
Stonedownor

Post by hyarmion »

No dogs? Good point, I had not noticed that. In a normal third-world village (dare we compare the Stowndowns of the the Land to one of those?) there seems to be at least as many dogs as people. Obviously dogs would not be very well suited to life in a Woodhelvin.

There are wolves in the Land, and dogs are just domesticated wolves. But what would domesticated dogs in the Land eat? Would the people of the land have killed other animals to feed dogs? I am not sure.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Dogs eat what we won't. When I took anthro in college we learned that dogs basically domesticated themselves-- for the food.
scane
Servant of the Land

Post by scane »

maybe the dogs got ate and killed off by habitants of the land. Too bad watch dogs would have been useful. Now that i'm thinking if missing things in the land, did people of the land have the benefit of "the wheel" ? It's been a while since I read the books I can't recall any carts or wagons.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Of course there are dogs in the Land, but they are irrelevant to the story so they aren't worth mentioning.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

In my opinion, it's kind of symbolic of the people of the Land's relationship with the land..
They value the land for what it is and are content to co-exist with it.. IMHO 'domesticating' animals is a symbol of wanting to change the land and work your will upon it.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

ninjaboy wrote:In my opinion, it's kind of symbolic of the people of the Land's relationship with the land..
They value the land for what it is and are content to co-exist with it.. IMHO 'domesticating' animals is a symbol of wanting to change the land and work your will upon it.
Animal rights, environmentalism (be nice to the trees). The Land is a left-wing utopia.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Dogs are specifically mentioned as being among the animals that come to the aid of the Unfettered One when he battles the ur-viles at the Celebration of Spring in LFB.
Love as thou wilt.

ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

duchess of malfi wrote:
Dogs are specifically mentioned as being among the animals that come to the aid of the Unfettered One when he battles the ur-viles at the Celebration of Spring in LFB.
Snap - good pickup.

I'd still maintain that they would be wild, unchanged and undomesticated dogs.. Like our dingoes.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Falconer Winterleaf
Woodhelvennin

Post by Falconer Winterleaf »

While wild dogs would be most common, "domesticating" a dog isn't really a big change. Just feed them everyday for anywhere from 4 months to a year and they will be loyal to you as long as you can provide for them. They would revert to wild dogs rather easily, but if you keep feeding them and be nice to them, they should be fine. So, I object to the arguement of "changing the way the Land works". Dogs are just naturally our best friends. We have had a good relationship with dogs since we were all a nomadic people.
"Branches spread and tree trunks grow
Through rain and heat and snow and cold:
Though wide world's winds untimely blow,
And earthquakes rock and cliff unseal,

My leaves grow green and seedlings bloom
Since days before the Earth was old
And Time began its walk to doom,
The Forests world's bare rock anneal,

Forbidding dusty waste and death
I am the Land's Creator's hold:
I inhale all expiring breath,
And breath out life to bind and heal.

But ax and fire leave me dead.
I know the hate of hands grown bold.
Depart to save your heart-sap's red:
My hate knows neither rest nor weal."

TCTC: About to start FR
Nekrimah
Servant of the Land

Post by Nekrimah »

No cats either.

As for dogs, doesn't the word "roynish" mean barking sounds? The Waynhim take the place of dogs.

Now put down that bayamo, whatever a bayamo is. No really, I don't know what a bayamo is.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

ninjaboy wrote:In my opinion, it's kind of symbolic of the people of the Land's relationship with the land..
Actually, pretty sure the land had domesticated animals. Triock was a shepherd.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Nekrimah wrote:No cats either.

As for dogs, doesn't the word "roynish" mean barking sounds? The Waynhim take the place of dogs.

Now put down that bayamo, whatever a bayamo is. No really, I don't know what a bayamo is.
Down, waynyy...good waynyy...
Spoiler
now FETCH the staff! Get it!
only def. I know of bayamo is a sudden strong storm around Caribbean/Cuba...think I ran across it in a long poem called Omeros.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

No, but the ur viles do make barking sounds in The Illearth War (I think when fleshharrower makes a scepter by sacrificing an ur vile loremaster, or when they break the word of warning at doom's retreat).
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Fleshharrower wore a loincloth made from dog noses. It must have been very soft.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Chapter 16 of TWL, a couple of pages before vraith is mentioned, among the list of animals is "hounds" - I presume dogs?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Iolanthe wrote:Chapter 16 of TWL, a couple of pages before vraith is mentioned, among the list of animals is "hounds" - I presume dogs?
Hey, that's a good catch [about the hounds, i mean, not my adopted handle].
That settles that, I guess, along with ninja's notice of the unfettered's helpers.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”