TCTC Quote Game, Part II

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

TCTC Quote Game, Part II

Post by Fist and Faith »

birdandbear's quote isn't showing up on my screen until I hit Reply to the entire thread, then there it is in the "Topic review" window at the bottom. And my reply to it is not showing up either. Maybe starting another thread will work.
birdandbear wrote:"Faith is a way of living. They have dedicated themselves wholly to the services of the land. And they have sworn the Oath of Peace - commited themselves to serve the great goal of their lives in only certain ways, to choose death rather than submit to the destruction of passion which blinded High Lord Kevin and brought the Desecration. Come - can you believe that Lord Mhoram will ever despair? That is the essence of the Oath of Peace. He will never despair, nor do what despair commands - murder, desecrate, destroy. And he will never falter, because his Lordship, his service to the Land, will sustain him. Service enables service."
And the answer is Foamfollower to Covenant in the LFB chapter <I>A question of Hope</I>. I like this quote. It reminds me of Mhoram's thoughts in TPTP:
He was a fighter, a man born to fight for the Land. As long as something for which he could fight remained, he was impervious to terror. And something did remain; while he lived, at least one flame of love for the Land still burned. He could fight for that.
I love the circular nature of both quotes. Amazing that Mhoram's love for the Land is the thing that sustains his love for the Land.

And my quote to test you all is my signature quote below:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

You fixed it!

Post by birdandbear »

I noticed a few minutes ago that you had answered, but when I tried to see what you said, neither post was there. I was pondering what to do about it while I got the kiddos in bed, and when I came back ...voila.
You are correct, of course.

I have an idea about yours, but I think it only fair to give someone else a chance to bite.

So there. You all have 10 minutes. BWahahaha...
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Re: TCTC Quote Game, Part II

Post by Sevothtarte »

Fist and Faith wrote:-their devotion has had such unforseen prices- Such one-mindedness does not come easily to them, and their only reward is the pride of unbroken, pure service.
That's Mhoram talking to Covenant in chapter 13, Vespers, of LFB.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

You da man!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

Ok, now a short one, but at least the who shouldn't be difficult:

"I am sworn to you in love and fealty, and I will remain."
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend

Post by Sevothtarte »

Hmm, too difficult? It's Pitchwife somewhere in WGW, now you just have to tell me where exactly. :)
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, I knew it. I just figured birdandbear was right, that maybe we shouldn't be allowed to win if we won within the last 30 days.

OK, I damit it! I didn't know!!! :x :) My guess was that it was Elena to Covenant.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Guest »

Pitchwife, chapter 18, No Other Way . He is saying that to his wife.

try this-
"It is a secret of power. I must have power."
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend

Post by Sevothtarte »

Exactly. :) It's your turn, whoever you are. ;)

Post by Guest »

"It is a secret of power. I must have power."

Can no one get that one? :?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Trell to Mhoram in Revelstone during the siege. I always thought that was a weird line... not from what it said (considering what Trell does), but the way it was said.

"The hand of the Forest is upon me"
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

too obscure?
"Since the coming of the Wraiths, I have studied the fate of the One Forest. I have seen it since the first seed grew to become the great Tree. I have seen its awakening-its awareness-the peaceful communion of its Land-spanning consciousness. I have seen Forestals born and slain. I have seen the Colossus of the Fall exercise its interdict. The hand of the Forest is upon me.
[/quote]
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

The Unfettered One whom Triock comes to for aid in sending a message to Mhoram in PTP. The one who is then killed by the Raver.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

yep
-George Steiner

Post by Guest »

"Therefore I have forewarned you. So that you will know your peril, and be unable to evade it."
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

"But I am not so selfless. You will agree with me that there is much of me to consider - and every part is tender. Courage is for the lean. I am wiser. Wisdom is no more and no less deep than the skin - and mine is very deep. Of course it is said that trial and hardship refine the spirit. But I have heard the Giants reply that there is enough time to refine the spirit if the body has no other choice."
Guest, your answer is Lord Foul.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Hyrim, when asking Covenant to join the mission to Seareach in <I>Korik's Mission</I>.

And next:
"It is done. You will live."
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

You got it.
vt53
Woodhelvennin

Post by vt53 »

the creator TPTP "Lepers end"

"She has gazed upon the face of corruption. yet she speaks clearly to the stonedoners"
" a universe with no edge in space, no begining or end in time"
vt53
Woodhelvennin

Post by vt53 »

no guesses? think of Hollan and Sunder
" a universe with no edge in space, no begining or end in time"

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”