Caerroil Wildwood, Forestal of Garroting Deep

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

marineguy
Ramen

Caerroil Wildwood, Forestal of Garroting Deep

Post by marineguy »

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted. Here is one I've been dying to do....

Last edited by marineguy on Tue May 31, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
You judge too quickly giant
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Amazing! (that other people aren't commenting is way beyond me!)
fall far and well Pilots!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

danlo wrote:Amazing! (that other people aren't commenting is way beyond me!)

I'm a nitpicker.
All I see is that the "staff" is wrong.
He didn't have a staff, it was more like a scepter and it was made of wood.
Now if I said that I'd sound like a jerk, :lol:

But the lighting is fantastic and the detail on the cloth around the sleeves is awesome.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

lol, no you're not a jerk. I did this from memory and after I did it, I went looking for the only image on the cover. I noticed it too and I'm working on the modification. It's a bit fuzzy to make out exactly what it is. I guess "woven" roots.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

I was going to mention the staff, but looks like Tolkien got here first.

May I offer some crits/suggestions? I don't know a feck about 3D modelling or how difficult it's to work with movement and textures, but he looks a tad static for someone who's almost music incarnate. Perhaps some more flow to the hair and robes? And how about some more shadows, and more focus on the character and less to the branches in the background (also the black gap in the foreground appears distracting)? I'd have other pointers, but I don't know how far I can go. ;)

Otherwise I like it; particularly his commanding air and the detail in the robe. :)
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Lol, no problem I appreciate opinions. I modified the image. It's a lot different than sketching. You create or erase what you want at the time you start. 3D is a whole other medium for creating

I start out with a bald, plain, generic model about 25 years old. Same with many objects, no textures, no color, no lighting. Everything is extra and you build a character. Age or youth, wrinkles, brows, muscles, fingers, hands are "morphed", and positioned like modeling clay using dials.

You add/buy each of the items you see. Hair, shoes, robes, trees, grass, etc, etc. Each of the items is attached to the model. There are two types of items, "static" like you mentioned and "morphing". Obviously the morphing type is more desirable when standing in the wind, but you pay for it too in computing power and rendering speed. Most of the time the hair is already styled with some morphing. Lighting causes shadows but remember it has to put a shadow on everything, at the right angle, every twig, branch, etc, etc. In this case, I chose the hair and beard because I don’t think there was much wind at the time. There is only one image on him that I know of and cover artist take huge liberties right?

There are positions for characters too. When you click on , let's say, a sitting position. Everything on the character, robes, pants, shirts, shoes as well as eyes, neck, arms, legs, curve of the back, natural bend in the knees, etc, etc all conform to that position (or they should) . Simulating a "running man" and taking just two steps is computing power for rendering. Shadows and lighting all must conform to the character. Just look at what you have on to wear. Everything reacts to your movement . Cloth fold and move, each hair does the same thing, each finger, each joint, the computer must calculate what it should be doing and coordinate it the rest of the pieces and parts that make up your character.

When sketching, and drawing someone in a heavy wind, you know what is affected. (hair, robes, beard, trees, grass) But in 3D, each piece must "morph" with the character. As I said, there is a tradeoff in computing power. This image took almost an hour to render. NO doubt if I had computers like they did in “Avatar”, I could make individual strands of hair react.

Finally, my minds eye doesn't see what you see. I see a cold, dark, uninviting, unappealing forest with trees lurking and waiting to quench a thirst and the stark contrast of a being radiating power to a point he may appear to be glowing. He is "earth power" incarnate. For me, I can see his immense power may "seem" musical in it's description but only because it's in perfect harmony with the forest, but not necessarily "musical" in notes. For me, “music incarnate” has nothing to do with a forestall or his work. The harmony is in the physical power as a being, and the power in the forest is “like” music. Again, that’s MY mind’s eye.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Looks pretty damn neat now. :biggrin: Maybe something more to the foreground, though? Moss, lichen, dead leaves?

That's really interesting what you told about the process of 3D modeling. May I ask what program(s) you use and how long does it take to create a character like this from scratch with all the separate renderings and modifications? Judging by your description, it sounds like a lengthy endeavor.

It's a different world from 2D drawing, but the latter requires the same principles. In theory one ought to know what's affected by weather, movement, etc. but I can't even count the times when I've spent hours on something, only to notice that the character's pose is off, the light hits the objects at a wrong angle, (or even touches the wrong side; 'thinking 3D' in a 2D world can get difficult at times), or the garments rumple or flow unrealistically, after which usually chunks of the image need to be erased and redrawn. In this case, one's mind's eye has to do the computing and rendering, so to speak. ;) Real-life references are essential. For the position of hands, expressions, and some other small details, a mirror propped beside the drawing board provides immense aid. With 3D, I suppose one has a more straightforward control over these, even if it comes down to computing power (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Yup, we all see the characters differently, and that's cool. With "music incarnate", I however meant "power incarnate" rather than normal music; in Finnic mythology certain beings, with which I personally associate the Forestalls, have the capacity to create or destroy things with their (magical) singing and kantele-playing, make trees grow out of the barren ground, control weather, make the earth swallow people, and so on. Music so powerful it's like raw energy to be wielded for good or ill; that's my mental image. Also English isn't my native tongue, so apologies if I occasionally understand something wrong. SRD's novels are particularly tricky in terms of language.

But, your version certainly catches that "Earthpower incarnate" look the way you described. Wouldn't want to go hiking into those woods alone. :biggrin:
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Go to DAZ3d.com.

Once an image is created, it may need Photoshop or another high end editing program. You have an advantage, you can use a computer sketch tablet to modify a 3D image and add things because you can draw very well. 3D would come to life in your hands like your sketches.

For me to create your "First/Pitchwife" images would take me a couple of months to replicate. Trying to duplicate an image is the hardest in 3D. I am only a novice with 3D. Go to this site and see people who have been doing this for years, THEY are artist. Some of their work makes mine look like I am using crayons!!!

www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse. ... ;genre_id=

If you have all the items (hair, swords, robes, pants, guns, etc, etc) for you model, then it may go quickly. A person can find free items but they are not always "morph" capable and even though the rest of your model may be positioned, the static item isn't. Cost is a big factor. Some of these items are $20-30-$40 and if you are only going to use it once , then it's not too cost affective. I wait until I have a few images I want to create that can use an expensive item, then I buy it and start creating all the images I can use it with. I sometimes go back and modify an existing image.

Once you have you mind's eye image, then you start to add background and fix position, (legs, arms, head, eyes, etc). It's a trade off for computing power. Lighting and shadows can add hours of waiting time because the computer scans 1 or 2 lines at a time on the screen. The more lights you add, the more the computer has to make sure the shadows are correct for everything on the screen. Adding one light source, let's say to imitate the sun. isn't bad. You only get one shadow. Once you add a few light sources to give the effects you want then you need computer power.

I did a moonlight, spell magic lighting, and a campfire with two models and the rendering took close to 8 hours.

You take your ability to shade a sketch correctly and you know where the shading has to go based on the light source, 1-2-3 and you're done!

A computer is so inferior and can't "see". There is no 1-2-3.

Return to “The Chronicles Art Gallery”