Pantheon for Dummies

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Cleburne
Bloodguard

Pantheon for Dummies

Post by Cleburne »

Ok guys I know noting about how to play Pantheon or where I need to start. Do I have download something from the net. Or do you guys have a link I need to access :?:
The reason I ask is that I would like to have a go at the new game that Fist has created.
Any advice or information would be great. ;)
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

The general idea is...

You get to be the deity of your chosen domain. God of Forests. Goddess of Earth. God of War. Goddess of Light. Etcetcetc.

You use your divine power in whatever ways you can come up with. (That the GM will allow. Heh.) The amount of divine power you have depends on how many worshipers you have.

You can try to make friends with some, and work together, or at least not have to worry about being bothered by them. Intentionally or not, you might have enemies, and that can lead to all manner of craziness.

I'll be posting rules for my game (I'm Fist, in case you didn't know. :lol:) by Monday at the latest. They will be similar to the Pantheon rules, since my game (Aesir) comes from Pantheon. In the meantime, check out the rules to the second Pantheon game:
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10429
My post in Aesir will not be as big as the first post of that thread. Partly because it's a lot of the same thing. But I also suspect I'm going to be discussing lots of things with each deity, making up some general rules as we go when they're needed. I've simply never done anything like this, and won't know how to handle many situations until they come along. Then I'll have guidelines to apply to other situations.
I climb the road to Cold Mountain,
The road to Cold Mountain that never ends.
- Han-shan

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.
- Robert Frost

Today was a good day. - Ice Cube
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

Cleburne, the beauty of Aesir (and Pantheon, for that matter) is that, while there are rules that you need to adhere to, generally you can do just about anything.

This game is about creativity. Every two weeks (or as indicated by the Somefather), you will submit a turn - a story of things you wish to do. It could be virtually anything you want within the rules. If you have questions about whether or not you can do something, you can always pm the Somefather to ask.

There is nothing to download.
Of course, you can always the more experienced players how to do things. You will be amazed at how creative some people can get.

And now that I have confused you more, Heh, just jump in the game with both feet and enjoy. This will be a good way to get some experience because it will be a little simpler than Pantheon and move a little slower.

I want to extend my thanks to Xar for allowing this game to take place and hoping that he will participate. :wink:
Agapé
Ramen
Location: I'm so lovable, the doctors gave me a special white jacket so I can hug myself!

Re: Pantheon for Dummies

Post by Agapé »

Cleburne wrote:Ok guys I know noting about how to play Pantheon or where I need to start. Do I have download something from the net. Or do you guys have a link I need to access :?:
The reason I ask is that I would like to have a go at the new game that Fist has created.
Any advice or information would be great. ;)
Cleburne, I lurked from the planning stages of Pantheon, through the First Age being played in The Close, and through what turned out to be about two thirds of the Second Age being played. What finally got me to even start thinking about playing was a very generous diety started sharing his submittals and results with me, so I could get an idea of what all happened behind the scenes. He will tell you, I was floored. I had no idea.

And then a group of other players allowed me to see some of their planning strategies, and at that point I was hooked. I was scared to death, having never played any role planning or strategy game before. But there's a great core group of people here, and ask away. Someone will step forward to help or explain, I'm sure.

If you think it would help, I would be happy to share some of cho's Second Age submittals and results, just so you can have a little bit of an idea of how it works. But...I don't think I would be the best example to follow.

Still, I am willing to do so, if you wish.

Keep in mind, Aesir will be a simplified version. So a lot won't apply. Let me know.

*bows*
Light of the world, shine on me
Love is the answer
Shine on us all, set us free
Love is the answer

And when you feel afraid, love one another
When you've lost your way, love one another
When you're all alone, love one another
When you're far from home, love one another
When you're down and out, love one another
All your hopes run out, love one another
When you need a friend, love one another
When you're near the end, love one another
We got to love one another
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Diana wrote:I want to extend my thanks to Xar for allowing this game to take place and hoping that he will participate. :wink:
Truly. Though I'm changing some things, Aesir is overwhelmingly another Pantheon game. Further, I never in my life would have considered being a GM if not for the extraordinary fun I've had playing Pantheon. The whole concept is awesome. And the pace of one turn=one season appeals to me much more than the live-action pace of the more usual D&D games. Xar is amazing for having done all this, and amazing for letting me run another version of his baby.

*deep bow to Xar*
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Fist and Faith wrote:
Diana wrote:I want to extend my thanks to Xar for allowing this game to take place and hoping that he will participate. :wink:
Truly. Though I'm changing some things, Aesir is overwhelmingly another Pantheon game. Further, I never in my life would have considered being a GM if not for the extraordinary fun I've had playing Pantheon. The whole concept is awesome. And the pace of one turn=one season appeals to me much more than the live-action pace of the more usual D&D games. Xar is amazing for having done all this, and amazing for letting me run another version of his baby.

*deep bow to Xar*
I double that sentiment from caam as well...

...although, I think it would be nice to not know if he is playing, should he decide to join in. Allow him to be a player, and not someone to emulate or something.
Lord Fulragen
Stonedownor

Post by Lord Fulragen »

Diana wrote:Cleburne, the beauty of Aesir (and Pantheon, for that matter) is that, while there are rules that you need to adhere to, generally you can do just about anything.

And now that I have confused you more, Heh, just jump in the game with both feet and enjoy. This will be a good way to get some experience because it will be a little simpler than Pantheon and move a little slower.

I want to extend my thanks to Xar for allowing this game to take place and hoping that he will participate. :wink:
Oh I have jumped in with my two feet and looking forward to gaining some experience with it and the slower bit doesn,t bother me to much as it will take a little bit of time to get the hang of it. ;)
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

:?: Now I'm confused about how to "jump in the game with both feet and enjoy" - the registration thread is locked.

Does it mean I have to wait till a new game is started, or is there a possibility to jump on the already moving train?

Also, is it more or less possible to only role-play by writing the text of events and actions, without getting into that thing with calculating DRPs, writing actual e-mails with how you've spent them and the stuff like that?
Last edited by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm on Sat May 28, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Not sure about Pantheon. But you can jump into Vanir, which is Aesir 2.0, if you want. Send a PM to Odin.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Thank you. Didn't expect to have a reply so fast, added a question about role-playing to the post above. What if I do only that?

Or is it answered by simply that if I do something wrong or miss anything in the game, I'm going to get to know it by dying a swift death/seeing my posts erased by a moderator?
A role-player, beware
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

For the most part, as far as Vanir goes, there aren't events and actions without DRP. The deity's power is what enables you to act in the world. But you don't need to worry. It's a slow-growing game. Too slow for the tastes of at least some of the players. :lol: But it's the only way I, an impressively inexperienced GM, can pull it off. You start with the smallest unit of power, 1 DRP, and do what you can with it.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Apparently I'm going to be far from any good then - I can handle inventing what to do, but can have problems keeping restrictions and requirements in mind when doing so. Oh well, if you don't mind me joining and then needing to remove whatever I've done - I'm interested to at least try.

It's not like I'm asking to be easy on me, since I'm used to computer RPGs. Quite the opposite, feel free to tell me I went all wrong or that I'd better leave this at all, because I actualy misunderstood the whole principle.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Inferno is also getting ready to kick off, if you want to join up. It's mildly based on Pantheon. Send me a PM to join up.

DRP (or DSP for Acropolis, or SU for Inferno) are pretty easy to wrap your head around. Each DRP / DSP / SU is really just one thing you can do. At first, you get only one... you spend the whole turn doing that one thing. Later on, you get more DRP / DSP / SU, and you can do more things. But with 5 DRP, you can do five actions. Or something less than five, if you do one or more of them at double-strength, or triple-strength.

You'll want to handle your turns via email, though. Since quite a lot of what you're doing works better if others don't necessarily know about them, posting it all in the threads can hurt. Or not, if your strategy is intentionally very bold. From a GM's point of view, I find the email approach to be good for archiving what was done. PMs have a storage limit, and I end up having to delete them after a while.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Fist and Faith wrote:Not sure about Pantheon. But you can jump into Vanir, which is Aesir 2.0, if you want. Send a PM to Odin.
Does this mean we'll be starting up again soon-ish?
Goatkiller666 wrote:You'll want to handle your turns via email, though. Since quite a lot of what you're doing works better if others don't necessarily know about them, posting it all in the threads can hurt. Or not, if your strategy is intentionally very bold.
Or, if you honestly have no idea what you're doing, like Leaf, you can do what she does and create your own thread to role play it all out to help you figure out your emailed turn orders better...
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Goatkiller666,

thank you for both the invitation and the explaination. Especially about the e-mails - I haven't thought of archiving games and so thought PMs and posts completely suffice and also that simply posting is better from the point of view of role-playing and creating a story.

I guess it's possible to use e-mail and still write posts - with some of the actions or just some thoughts on whatever happens around, right?

As for invitation, I think I'll get aquinted with the rules of Inferno first, but most likely I'll try to join.

Menolly,

apparently your title suits you, but only partially - you're also an omnipresent helper and adviser) Thank you for, actually, your help and advice))

Most likely I'm going to try combining the attitude you described with getting into the rules and principes. At worst, I'll fail twice - it's not that much worse then simply failing) And all the more chances something will turn out well or just fun.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

One can just take part
To hone one's storytelling
Not competition

Then one's public posts
Are the key to obtaining
Constructive feedback
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

So, there is a Vanir 2? Son of Vanir? heh.

I might have to play that because Pantheon is dead in the water. *sob*
The King has one more move.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Odin put Vanir on hold, but as far as I know, it will be the same setting and deities (with maybe some new players added, if there is interest) once he picks it up again.
...please???

Return to “Gravin Threndor”