A note about Elena

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

A note about Elena

Post by Borillar »

I don't know if this exactly qualifies as a mistake, but when Linden sees Elena in FR, it says something to the effect that she guesses that this is Elena, as if Linden hadn't physically seen her before. But Linden saw Elena at the end of WGW, so she knows exactly what she looks like. This is putting aside the fact that Elena looks different, as a result of her torn hair and such; the way it's represented in the text is that Linden wouldn't necessarily know what Elena looks like, but unfortunately I don't have the book in front of me to quote it.

Speaking of which, why does Elena appear so physically distraught, when she didn't in WGW?
Last edited by Borillar on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

She knows what Linden's about to do?
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

When we saw Elena in WGW, one of her more stable personalities was in control. Not so lucky this time.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

is it possible that, as Elena is not one of Linden's dead she would look different, as especially she has been summoned as one of the Law-breakers with Hile Troy.
OisinAnderson
Servant of the Land

Post by OisinAnderson »

When we saw Elena in WGW, one of her more stable personalities was in control. Not so lucky this time

But why? In TWL and WGW, at least Elena was coherent. I don't think Linden seeing her or being summoned as a Law-Breaker quite accounts for it. It's like, what happened to her in 4000 more years? It's as if she just now realizes the magnitude of what she did.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Maybe that has something to do with the situation getting generally worse and unlikely to be solved.

In the 2nd Chrons the Dead and Caer-Caverol appeared to be more assured about what was to happen. They've given TC Vain and Caer-Caverol sacrificed himself - knowing that the way can be like what TC did in the end.

Now, though there's apparently something that can be done, the situation hangs on such a thin final straw there's almost no hope. Elena may blame herself for being the source of some of the changes that enabled the current situation, which can be a reason she feels worse. Just seeing the Land in such a horrid state, so surrounded with enemies and so unlikely to be saved can make her more distraught, moreover if she thinks she could have done better and helped to avoid that.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”