Music festivals

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

do you have a list of Robyn's covers?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Sorry Sarge I do not. I don't know any Captain Beefheart & Magic Band stuff, so i can only go on what he said - that they were going to play, in order, both sides of Clear Spot. A random stranger told me that they'd played a few other Beefheart songs, after the album.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Stonemaybe wrote:Sorry Sarge I do not. I don't know any Captain Beefheart & Magic Band stuff, so i can only go on what he said - that they were going to play, in order, both sides of Clear Spot. A random stranger told me that they'd played a few other Beefheart songs, after the album.
wish i had been there. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Time for the annual KW Glastonbury update :roll:

It was the best EVER!

Set off at 5am Wednesday took the secret backroad route to avoid the traffic jams which worked a treat but had to queue a couple of hours to get through the gates and got absolutely soaked by torrential rain. We were the men of constant sorrow!. The rest of the day and Thursday were wonderful though - lots of new friends made and various little bands enjoyed.

Friday (the start of main stages) began with a totally unexpected treat. I was persuaded to check out Two Door Cinema Club against my better judgement because I'd got them mixed up with Bombay Bicycle Club who I'd seen before and disliked. It was 1pm which is pretty early but it was packed and rockin(!) and he's ginger and from NI to like me which was all good (9/10) :D

After that there was no option but to go to the Other Stage (the 2nd biggest one) which I normally hate because it's very exposed and a bit of wind ruins the sound, but the lineup left us no choice at all! It started to rain about this time (and kept raining for 12 hours, oh the mud!) First up was Bright Eyes which were good but not as good as I hoped (7/10). Next on were Fleet Foxes who were great but the sun should have been shining for the '!' (8/10). Next up were Mumford & Sons they had an awful lot to live up to after their set last year but they did good (9/10).

Next there was a problem - there were so many things on at the same time i wanted to see - Primal Scream, Crystal Castles, Fat Boy Slim, DJ Shadow, Barenaked Ladies, but i decided (and it was the best choice of my life) to go to a wee stage(Spirit of 71) to see Melanie. She was the highlight of the weekend (12/10). If you click on that link you might see (a now embarrassed) me 'dancing' in front of camera!. Not only was the music brilliant, but it was very poignant too - her husband of 30 years who was also her booking agent who'd arranged the gig, just passed away a couple of weeks ago. It was still p*ssing rain, but I fell in love and it was a memory that will live with me forever.

I made it back to the Other Stage in time to see Primal Scream finish their set with 'Jailbird' and 'Rocks' (both of which I love) though I missed the whole of Screamadelica which they'd played in its entirity.

Saturday we took it easy musically until evening. First band I saw was The Horrors at the John Peel Stage who were gothically entertaining (7/10) then Noah and the Whale who were pants (3/10) then the band I was anticipating most all weekend, Battles. They were great but didn't live up expectations! (8.5/10)

After that I wandered up to Avalon to watch Flogging Molly (no link :( ) who were good (8/10) but the highlight was singing a chorus with a random stranger I met afterwards of a song they didn't play ('Factory Girls)

Sunday was a write-off. Woke up to blazing sunshine - the tent was like an oven , we sat around tents (melting) for a few hours. Managed to miss The Wombles and Don Mclean. Just made it to Pyramid Stage to see Paul Simon who was very disappointing (3/10).

But then saw Eels at Other Stage who were fantastic (9.5/10)

Energy levels were low and luckily we'd rented car so we packed up our tents and left.

A wonderful weekend of music :biggrin:

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:Next there was a problem - there were so many things on at the same time i wanted to see - Primal Scream, Crystal Castles, Fat Boy Slim, DJ Shadow, Barenaked Ladies, but i decided (and it was the best choice of my life) to go to a wee stage(Spirit of 71) to see Melanie. She was the highlight of the weekend (12/10). If you click on that link you might see (a now embarrassed) me 'dancing' in front of camera!. Not only was the music brilliant, but it was very poignant too - her husband of 30 years who was also her booking agent who'd arranged the gig, just passed away a couple of weeks ago. It was still p*ssing rain, but I fell in love and it was a memory that will live with me forever.
You had some great arm action going on during the last verse, Stone. ;)
(really hoping I recognized you from the back. if I'm right, the hat is a dead giveaway.)
...and I've loved that song since I was a young girl on skates. How nice to see an updated version.
O-gon-cho
The Gap Into Spam
Location: And closing of the eyes - true vision, The Light within became...Within the Light

Post by O-gon-cho »

Stonemaybe wrote:It started to rain about this time (and kept raining for 12 hours, oh the mud!)
Were there any mud wyrmlings to be found this year, bard?
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJSdQQi5TyI
If anyone's offended by using Hitler in a joke, don't click!

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

extraordinary line up at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival this year in San Francisco (click blue link to see lineup.) this festival is FREE in Golden Gate Park. several stages for three days. free. UNbelieveable!

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2011

you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Looks like it will be a fantastic time!
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

lucimay wrote:extraordinary line up at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival this year in San Francisco (click blue link to see lineup.) this festival is FREE in Golden Gate Park. several stages for three days. free. UNbelieveable!

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2011

Song 7, Round 3 Medley
www.bobmould.com/Bob Mould

wow! if you have a chance to go Luci - you must see him. you must, he is great, awesome, great, fantastic. my favorite. i am so fricking jealous of you right now. you must go so i can live through you. find someone who is taping it? :)

also worth seeing - flatlanders, blind boys of alabama, earl scruggs, patty griffin, bela fleck, john prine, emmylou harris, gillian welch, robert plant, jayhawks...

btw - the Bob song in the medley is
'I'm Sorry, Baby, But You Can't Stand In My Light Any More'
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja4DrWFJ6sk
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

oh have no fear! i'll be there alright. hopefully i can pry sorus or jenn ang bgb or all three out to go with. :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

lucimay wrote:oh have no fear! i'll be there alright. hopefully i can pry sorus or jenn ang bgb or all three out to go with. :biggrin:
smuggle a recording, setlist, bob's guitar, etc. :lol:
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Looks really good, luci! My recommendations.... (bands I've seen live who're great) Gomez, Bright Eyes, Broken Social Scene though there's loads of others I'd love to see.

Electric Picnic is sneaking up on me, and hopefully another big tick on my all-time-wannasee list with Death in Vegas playing.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Stonemaybe wrote:Looks really good, luci! My recommendations.... (bands I've seen live who're great) Gomez, Bright Eyes, Broken Social Scene though there's loads of others I'd love to see.

Electric Picnic is sneaking up on me, and hopefully another big tick on my all-time-wannasee list with Death in Vegas playing.
PJ Harvey. Big Audio Dynamite. . M. Ward. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros. Gordon Gano & the Ryans.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Pj Harvey Of Course!

A theme tune to my teenagehood! I will check out the other recs though

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Stonemaybe wrote:Pj Harvey Of Course!

A theme tune to my teenagehood! I will check out the other recs though
i need to find her Dry album...

PJ Harvey - Victory
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

sgt.null wrote:
Stonemaybe wrote:Looks really good, luci! My recommendations.... (bands I've seen live who're great) Gomez, Bright Eyes, Broken Social Scene though there's loads of others I'd love to see.

PJ Harvey. Big Audio Dynamite. . M. Ward. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros. Gordon Gano & the Ryans.
WOW! Edward and gordon will be on must-see list!

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

not afestival, but next month i finally get to see Roky Erickson if all goes well!!!!!!
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Gotta thank you again Sarge for the Edward Sharpe and the magnetic Zeros tip. They were my highlight of the festival. Unbelievably good!

Other highlights were OMD and Death in Vegas. Hopefully be some links up on youtube soon.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

thanks stone - but give julie (mrsnull) credit - she introduced me to them, guessing correctly that i would love their hippe vibe.

roky erickson coming soon!!!

Two-Headed Dog

You Don't Love Me Yet

Goodbye Sweet Dreams
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Vespers”