Demondim Spawn Unnatural? Possible Discrepancy

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

OisinAnderson
Servant of the Land

Demondim Spawn Unnatural? Possible Discrepancy

Post by OisinAnderson »

I looked in some other threads and didn't see this brought up- forgive me if it has been.

But the first time TC comes to The Land and he encounters the murdered waynhim, he perceives with his then-intact health-sense that it is a natural part of The Land (flesh had a hue of ravaged health), and that the evil or unnaturalness comes from the spike that murdered it (the Raver weapon). If this is the case, wouldn't it imply that the Demondim spawn DO have a place within the Lawful order somewhere? And yet now, it seems like all their existence is so very unnatural that they can't even withstand the presence of the Staff of Law for long. Discrepancy, or is there some sort of other explanation?
If you wonder where I'll be in a year,
I'll probably be sittin' right here.
And if you know the answer, don't tell me, anyone
'Cause I don't wanna know...
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Maybe this can be explained thus: there are some different ways of being out of Law - the Demondim spawn are different from the natural things in an artificial, being made way, the weapon of the Raver is different in the way of wrongness and evil.

Like a robot can differ from a living creature and a murderous monster can. And the health-sense apparently can have some levels of proximity - Linden's appears to give much more than any other, that of the Haruchai seems to be particularly resistant, etc. Most likely in many cases it is very rough with estimations, probably TC's especially - he at first even mistakes about the source of what feels wrong in that scene. So, the waynhim was felt as not wrong at least - he wasn't evil, and being artificial was not to be caught by TC's senses, while the spike just reeked of evil.
feanor
Woodhelvennin

Post by feanor »

Ayup Oisin...

I say they were part of the Lands 'Natural Order'. They had Independent Lore of their own, the 'Pinnacle' of which created Vain, and their own Society and a sense of care of the Land, separate to the Lords. They naturally seemed to abhor 'Evil' because they opposed the Ur-Viles on more than one occasion. and seemed to occupy the middle ground between Lord, Wight and Vile. The spike was only 'Evil' because of the 'Hate' and 'Violence' of the ACT, and not because of itself. The Outrage against Life was palpably felt By Covenant, and presumably Atiiaran...

And as a rider, I'd add that just because 'Most' of the Inhabitants of a 'Fantasy' World are Humanoid, it doesn't mean they're the Inheritors of it, and that everyone else is subordinate.
Last edited by feanor on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nekrimah !
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

They are not beings of Law but were created outside of Law.
That doesn't make them evil like the Raver weapon.
But they are still vulnerable to Law because Law by it's very existence will try to unmake or "correct" such beings.
But it took an extremely close proximity for the Staff to have that effect.

But as far as your question goes I think it's a case of looking back at LFB, a simple humble beginning to the Chronicles armed with the huge expansive detail we learned later in the 2nd and 3rd with too fine a microscope.

The passage still makes sense as written.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Fatal Revenant”