Just purhased A Game of Thrones.

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

firelion
Giantfriend

Just purhased A Game of Thrones.

Post by firelion »

I just purchased A Game of Thrones at the local used book store-befor I throw myself into this rather thick book (and the other two that I have seen in the bookstore)would someone please tell me what they find enjoyable in these books(no spoilers,just general ideas).Reading the series will require quite a commitment-also some comparisons to other fantasy series would be appreciated.
"And now for something completely different".
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

In a way, I think of ASOIAF as fantasy's answer to the Gap series: very complex plot, huge number of viewpoint characters, buckets of blood and gore. GRRM isn't the least bit afraid to kill off leading characters, especially characters the reader has been led to like and admire. After all the Big Fat Fantasies for teen soap-opera addicts, here's a BFF for adult readers.

The things I dislike about the series, you won't come to for a couple of thousand pages yet. One of those, of course, is that there are a couple of thousand pages in the way. ;) So I won't bother to mention them in this thread.
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

I just purchased A Game of Thrones at the local used book store-befor I throw myself into this rather thick book (and the other two that I have seen in the bookstore)would someone please tell me what they find enjoyable in these books(no spoilers,just general ideas).Reading the series will require quite a commitment-also some comparisons to other fantasy series would be appreciated.
Hi Firelion:)

Well IMHO opinion you just bought the first insallment to the best epic fantasy series currently being written, and IMHO through the first 3 novels the best I have ever read. Why?

martin thorws cliches out the door, it's gritty, at first low magic, told from multiple and numerous POV's all of which Martin brings to life and at the same through there eyes brings hsi world to life. There are no mundance Good vs. Evil themese between the characters. All the characters act in away that are true to how Martin establishes them, and they maintain them, unless it's achieved by some growth or experience. Martin also kill characters, establishing no one is safe.

This series has the most intricate, and interesting plot of any epic series ever written IMHO, the prohecy and Martin's skill with foreshadowing almost offers 2 stories in one while you read, as Martin hides several clues of great import within in his narrative.

Quite simply IMHO, no other epic fantasy series has been this good thru 3 books EVER. Unequaled plot, terrific characters, great narrative. Martin is the current King of the epic fantasy world.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I echo everything said here, but would add a warning. You WILL get hooked, and then you will suffer untold agonies waiting for the continuation of the story.

Martin is a superb writer. Speedy he ain't. :-x
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Well, I'll revive this thread to record my thoughts upon completion of A Game of Thrones. It was enjoyable, even though it was clearly a setup novel, though it didn't suffer from the slowness most setup novels have. Very enjoyable, but not in any rush to continue ;)

Edit: Have some more time to add on! Now, my introduction to the world was through the HBO series, and in a way, probably decreased the possible enjoyment I could have had with this book. Sure, that speaks volumes as to the faithfulness of that adaptation, but there isn't much gained through the reading of the book (and, I imagine, vice-versa).

What was there to gain from reading the book, for me? Sansa was a more interesting character, Joffery, through Sansa's eyes instead of the eyes of a television viewer, wasn't an instant dick until he really went insane. The Hound is a much more developed, sympathetic character. Tyrion is somehow more badass, the Bran storyline didn't seem like a waste of time, and, most important of all, the history presented in the book that one couldn't have put into the TV adaptation. More through the history than anything else, you can see a huge influence from English royal history and legend... which I find interesting.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I watched the first ep of the HBO adaptation and decided to hold off until after the books are all written. I found the books immediately engaging, full of twists after twists and found that yes, there is no "Good vs. Evil" in so much as all the characters have both good and bad qualities. I have read all the books so far and I can say that it's brilliant amazing awesome stuff and I am still reeling from the last book which I finished a few days ago. I found myself re-reading paragraphs in several spots because I was simply thinking, "OH NO HE DIDN'T" and had to read it again to believe it.

Orlion, it's funny that you say that about Sansa as I found her vapid, shallow, stupid and annoyingly wussie for the first couple books and I am still trying to like her rather than just tolerate her which is a step above my initial reaction to her.

Back on subject. I had turned a friend on to the series and loaned him my copies and when the latest came out we hadn't talked in months (not a close acquaintence, but a guy that Lucimay and I used to talk to regularly at the coffee shop when Lucimay and I were neighbors) anyway, he called me all excited about the new book and to apologize for never giving the last book I loaned him back to me. I missed the call so he left me voice mail and was going on and on and my voice mail cut him off so he actually called back and ranted about how it was going to be the first new book he had bought himself in 15 years and the first expensive hardback ever in his life. If you knew this guy you would know that is saying something serious about how great the series is.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Sansa, as much as it might not be a great type of character to read, is quite an accomplishment for Martin, because she's very believable as a naive child having to learn the hard way what the world is really like, and she doesn't instantly turn into a savvy world weary type as soon as the first betrayal occurs but grows gradually over the series.

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”