Servant of the Land

Vanir - Leaf, Limb, and Log

Post by Leaf »

• Spring
It’s cold

…shiver…

where am I? Think back, think back.
Ever so slowly, I remember

My parents met volunteering in the Hog Farm Collective’s free kitchen at the original Woodstock Festival. After their shift in the kitchen, they spent the rest of the festival as part of the “Please Force,” helping redirect offensive behavior with positive influence. Apparently, I was conceived amidst the massive mystic energy generated on Yasgur’s farm during those three days.

My childhood was spent spanning the North American continent in an old beat up repainted school bus, my parents traveling from commune to gathering to festival, spreading their own ideologies for peace and ecology in those formative years. “Always leave a camp in better condition than you found it,” was imbued in to me with my first breath. I found my own way spiritually, and attended what Circles I could, becoming an acolyte of my chosen path at twelve.

Love was freely given and received beginning at seventeen, but unlike my parents I preferred remaining unattached. I conceived a year later, and my now grown daughter was welcomed as a Maiden by drinking the elixir and dancing in the Moonbeam at the full moon celebration the month of her 21st birthday. She shows much potential for becoming a powerful priestess herself, one day. The same as I did at my own Maiden ceremony years ago. I am proud of the powerful and independent woman she has grown to be, yet relish my own freedom once again.

What day is it? It seems to be morning

Ah yes, no wonder I am befuddled. The full moon ceremony for the month of my 40th birthday was last night. My Motherhood ceremony was held in the glade at the great altar, where we all danced skyclad in the moon light.

One of the new responsibilities for a Mother is brewing her own elixir from the mushrooms, before she is given the honor of brewing it for the rising Maidens. Having indulged in various substances throughout my life, I decided to make my elixir a little stronger than the Crones recommended.

It appears it worked...

During the dance last night, it became my honor to dance on the altar itself, directly in the beam of moonlight. As I danced, I was handed a golden chalice of my elixir, which I held up towards Mother Moon for her blessing, then drank down. To my perception time stood still. The glade’s leaves flowed with motes of silver starlight sparkling along their ridges. The forest blurred and I found myself melding in to it as I danced faster and faster.

In the end, exhausted, I collapsed upon the altar in the moonbeam and slept.

And awoke here, alone in a grassy meadow surrounded by unknown trees. I do not recognize this place, but I feel it is good. The naturalness here sings to me. And already the cold recedes with the warmth of the rising sun...

As the sun rose higher, I make my way over to the tree line which surrounds the meadow. I spy a species which seems vaguely familiar. Its leaves are heart-shaped and remind me of the Empress trees of the Appalachians. Yes, I smile to myself, making my way over to some younger growth Empress trees with their huge leaves. These will do

Approaching one of the saplings, I give honor to it with a small bow of acknowledgment before reaching out to begin harvesting one of its massive leaves. At nearly two feet across, I will only need a few to cover myself. There are enough saplings for me to only harvest one from each.

As my hand encircles the base of the leaf’s stem, a nearly imperceptible shudder seems to run through the tree. I step back, hand dropping quickly to my side. “Are you aware of me?” I ask. Ever so slightly, the leaves rustle, as if in reply. I didn’t feel a breeze just then. Perhaps there will be some lingering effects from my elixir yet, I think to myself, shaking my head at my fancy. Still, no harm in becoming more attuned to one I seek a gift from, I continue musing as I press my skyclad form in to the leaf and slowly wrap it around me, all the while leaving it attached.

My mind opens itself to the tree, sending a vision of myself draped in several of the leaves from it and its brethren, when suddenly my perception is no longer of me opening to it.

This can not be real!
I cry out, not knowing if I am vocalizing that thought or not. But it no longer matters whether I did or not. I am One with the tree. And not only the tree. My mind expands; growing and stretching to embrace all of Nature: Flora and Fauna. Air, Earth, Fire, and Water.

Not a quote from my path, but it feels appropriate…
  • For everything there is a season.
    And a time to every purpose
    …under heaven.
I have much to learn in this season. Not least of all to learn where I am. But first I will embrace the newness and strangeness of my environs. It is marvelous, darling, and can only be explained by the aftereffects of my elixir. As The Grateful Dead first sang the year I was born: “What a long, strange trip it’s been…”

may it forever continue.
It's not nice to fool Mother Nature...
Leaf
Servant of the Land

Post by Leaf »

Oh Mother...

This is real. I am responsible for the care and well-being of all I experience around and within me. This setting is already amazing, but it can be enhanced and enriched further. How wonderful that I have help. Together, we shall accomplish much.
Leaf
Servant of the Land

Post by Leaf »

Children...
Learn and grow.
Flower and bloom.
Float and dive.
Be all you are meant to be.
Stretch beyond those limitations.
Experience Our forest.
Then report to me.
Leaf
Servant of the Land

Post by Leaf »

I watch my children learn and grow, and smile as more children join them in their endeavors.

Search beneath our feet, Gloîn. Discover the bedrock and soil of our forest.
Splash and swim, Melusina. Rejoice in the moisture you inhabit.
Stand steadfast, Holm. You are the roots of our forest.

Strengthen, guide, and support, Mimir. From you the rest of us learn the legacy of the past, and build upon it. Continue to spread the word of me, to the benefit of all Narie.

Take advantage of this season of rest, my children. For the next season is a busy one of much growth, rejuvenation, birth and rebirth. We shall see Anu and Vesta among us soon. Three male children, three female children. Working together, enhancing each others differences with our own. We shall encourage rejuvenation and growth within all of Narie's Natural order.
Leaf
Servant of the Land

Post by Leaf »

My children dance and play for many days; their joy in welcoming new brethren each season boundless with energy. Melusina is carried along Anu’s winds as mist and fog until Gloîn stops her with the great mountain range to the north of the forest. The soaring height of the range causes Anu’s breezes to recoil. Melusina concentrates, becoming darker and darker storm clouds until she bursts forth from them in a cleansing rain. Holm guides the roots of the flora and trees to drink deep of Melusina’s nourishment, and Gloîn has the dry winter-parched soil embrace the pattering moisture. Together, my four young and energized children cycle through storm and calm, again and again.

Mimir gains strength, which is all to the good. And what is this I see? New lush growth at the foot of the mountain range, in response to the nourishing rains! The Nature of this new place fills me with joy.

Rejoice! Rejoice!! Rejoice!!!
Leaf
Servant of the Land

Post by Leaf »

All proceeds as Nature sees fit, and the forest slows its slumber. My children and Mimir aid in the natural process only when needed, and the arrival of Vesta clears long dead debris while she activates dormant seeds of new life with her searing heat. All work in unity and harmony together; soon I will feel secure in the established pattern to venture forth and learn of other areas of Narie.
Leaf
Servant of the Land

Post by Leaf »

Ah Mimir, created by Nature in an Age past and choosing to embrace Nature as a new Age begins. To finally hear and comprehend your heart at last! I graciously accept your words:
Mimir wrote:"My Lady, I thank you. I have often been able to make myself understood, but this is SO much easier! *laughter* My creator had no need to do for me what you have done. I was always able to speak with his other creations, and those who felt his power. Which turned out to be everyone in the forest. Even those who only felt His power indirectly felt it very strongly. But, after many centuries without Velt, his indirect power was simply a part of all things, and the only ones I could speak with were those who had received His power directly. Which was only several, all of whom have long since died. My nature is as it is, and speach was not a part of me."
Go forth, willing prophet of mine, and teach those who choose to worship me the song you gifted me with as your first words...
“I'm grateful for the sun that warms this valley
And I'm grateful for the water and the wind
I'm grateful for the cool of summer evenings
And I'm grateful when the morning comes again

“But sometimes I forget...
So for now, I'd like to say
I'm grateful for this day

“I'm grateful for my family that surrounds me
And I'm grateful for this time we have to spend
I'm grateful for my teachers and their wisdom
And I'm grateful for the company of friends

I'm grateful for this day

“And I know there will be struggles yet to come
Ah, but still I have to smile
And I know our time is short
But I'm glad to be part of the dance...for a while

“I'm grateful for this gift of sharing music
And I'm grateful for the sweetness of the wine
I'm grateful for the bounty of our table
And I'm grateful for my lover's eyes that shine

I'm grateful for this day”
The season of preparation for the cold and dark proceeds, and all of my children help bring about bountiful harvests throughout my lands.

Let all proceed naturally.
Leaf
Servant of the Land

Post by Leaf »

Melusina, you clever girl! What wonders shall you see? I am proud of you for retaining yourself when overwhelmed. Yes, the warm bath sounds enticing, and the fact you discerned two powers there fascinates.

Mimir, as you speak of me with others, those who have turned to me and those new to my teachings, reintroduce the concept of merging with the trees at the proper time. We shall avert this great slumber, if those within desire to do so.

Also, stress tolerance for diversity and the embracing of differences. We shall welcome and accept all; there shall be no xenophobia here. The great circle revolves upon both differences and commonalities. Let us rejoice in both.
Leaf
Servant of the Land

Post by Leaf »

Dear Holm! The joy your embrace brings those departing awakens awareness long slumbering. May we continue to please those we serve in ways which will always benefit flora and fauna alike.

Melusina, what wonders you continue to present to me. Why I didn't realize you and your siblings would have the same problem with the people of Narie as my prophet had I'll never know. Be certain I will do my best to rectify that.

The heat of summer descends upon Narie, Gloîn and Vesta. Thanks to one who came before, our forest suffers little from drought and parched areas. Reach out beyond the borders of the forest and do what you can to ease any suffering due to the heat elsewhere, without disturbing the natural cycle needed there for health and abundance.

Anu, your excitement is palpable! Go, go across the mountains with my blessings and play. Share what you will of southern Mekoth and what you and your siblings do with those in the north. Extend the idea to come visit and learn of us south of the mountains. A new season approaches and your excitement is catching!

However, I wish you and Melusina to keep contact with your siblings. Should the two of you be needed to join to supply relief in parched lands, be ready and available to do so. Our primary purpose for the good of Narie must always be foremost in our minds.

Mimir, continue to teach tolerance for diversity and differences, with emphasis on commonalities. Physical and cultural differences aside, the people of Narie must be willing to work and live together, benefiting all they encounter.

My children, summer is upon us. Let the living be easy!
Melusina
Servant of the Land

Post by Melusina »

*bowing*

“Your pardon, L-rd bloom and Job. I need to depart to commune with my own creator.”

*jumps*

“Gloîn! Vesta! Holm! It is good to be home. Yet there is so much more to Narie than our forest and the Lady’s stronghold. Lady Leaf shall be glad to learn of the merfolk, and their underwater cities. Not to mention to learn of their former g-ddess.

“And she will hear about the human Job and his g-d bloom! Yes, yes! I met them both in a pool on an island to the south…

Really? Anu has traveled as well? Where did he go? What did he find? Has he retur…”

*bows with her siblings*

Hail, Leaf!!!"
As he rushed to quench his thirst,
A fountain spring appeared before him
And as his heated breath brushed through the cool mist,
A liquid voice called, "Son of gods, drink from my spring".

The water tasted strangely sweet.
Behind him the voice called again.
He turned and saw her, in a cloak of mist alone
And as he gazed, her eyes were filled with the darkness of the lake.
Leaf
Servant of the Land

Post by Leaf »

My children, your efforts on Nature's behalf are welcomed and sincerely appreciated. You continue to make me proud. Melusina, I am honored you resisted the call to worship another when in the presence of a fully manifested g-d because of your love for me. And I am proud of how you represented me in his presence, as well as those who are descendents of the followers of the former g-ddess of the Seas.

Yes, Anu has traveled beyond the range and is representing me to the followers of a new deity on Narie whose people are located there. He seeks to help enlighten them to the power manifested by said g-d above them, and in so doing show our intent of friendship.

I hope when he returns Mekoth shall be united in peace so all can develop here Naturally.

Autumn quickly approaches, and we have much to do to prepare for the harshness of Winter. Let us continue to be about our purpose!

Return to “Aesir & Vanir”