A place for thread-hijacks RE 'The Christian God'

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Oh Rus, what are we going to do with you? :lol: Luckily I'm feeling magnanimous today. You can have this one free pass, because I doubt Linna will mind, or complain.

But please stick to the terms of our understanding. I really would hate to have to institute punitive measures merely as a matter of principle, and it does seem to be working well.

There are obviously people who can't bear not arguing with you, so your threads are not lacking in participation, and forewarned is forearmed, so nobody can accuse you of obstructing or killing your own thread. :lol:

Thank you.

I'm going to respond to your post in one of those threads.

--A
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I don't get it Av, didn't rus give an answer to your question?
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

As I said, I replied in one of his threads. I didn't feel he did. Not specifically anyway.

--A
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Re: A place for thread-hijacks RE 'The Christian God'

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Damelon wrote:I'm not an expert, but I believe it's evolved since near the beginning. Taking the most obvious one, Christians don't have to follow Moses' dietary laws as laid out in Leviticus because in Matthew Jesus said, "Not that which goes into the mouth defiles a man, but that which comes out of the mouth".
But up until as late as the 1800's, they still relied on Exodus 22:18 despite Jesus saying "Let him who is without sin..."

I just wondered if it's an official teaching that the NT overrules the OT, and when it was first instituted. Officially.

--A
that is a really good question.

In the old testament, a "new covenant" is promised or referred to in a number of places. Here's one of them:

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Je ... ersion=ESV

Jesus was talking about that here:

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Lu ... ersion=ESV

Of course, it is probably not surprising that someone claiming to be the messiah would do something like this.

So the seemingly-boring tradition of taking communion that so many people are forced to sit through if they are dragged to church... is actually a re-enactment of a covenant-making.

though, that doesn't automatically make it clear that so much of the old laws would go away. For that, one thing we have is Peter seeing a vision...

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ac ... ersion=ESV

And of course, there is more, much more. this is far from a complete answer.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Linna Heartbooger

Cambo- you should be my logic-checker... yeah, I thought of that one after posting. :D Do you think everyone would "go for the deal" if we were just born into a world where more things "went right" for us from the start, and the character of this employer was was more obvious?

Fist- Yeah. And actually, I do think what I mentioned really is an issue for me, in spite of my joking.

vraith- ahh, right. figured out what you mean; like institutions applying various laws when they want and claiming the Bible's support. I just don't think of the Old testament as being primarily the laws contained in it; even "the law" is not just laws.
DukkhaWaynhim wrote:One of the few homilies that sticks in my mind was a presentation on the social context of "turn the other cheek". Instead of being a simple lesson in "be nice", my priest presented as a form of public dare, an invitation for someone to shame themself further, attempting to point out the folly of that path. I think the reason this resonated for me, and why I remember it today, is because it was one of the first examples I recall where humility was offered as an activist's tool for positive change, instead of how it is usually showcased, which is a passive granola-munching-love-in-can't-we-all-just-get-along chant.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Yesss! When someone's working out of humility, they're capable of seeing so much more of the picture, too. (because they're not just obsessed with "what am I losing?") And yes, I have heard this sort of interpretation and see a lot of support for it being Jesus' original intent.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Re: A place for thread-hijacks RE 'The Christian God'

Post by deer of the dawn »

Damelon wrote:I'm not an expert, but I believe it's evolved since near the beginning. Taking the most obvious one, Christians don't have to follow Moses' dietary laws as laid out in Leviticus because in Matthew Jesus said, "Not that which goes into the mouth defiles a man, but that which comes out of the mouth".
But up until as late as the 1800's, they still relied on Exodus 22:18 despite Jesus saying "Let him who is without sin..."

I just wondered if it's an official teaching that the NT overrules the OT, and when it was first instituted. Officially.

--A
Is this the specific question you wish an answer for? Let a pseudo-intellectual try her hand. :roll:

From my understanding, the OT is only superseded temporarily, but yes, practically speaking NT does overrule-- for now. I'll come back to that.

"When it was first instituted" was when Jesus taught (as has been referenced) that it is what is inside, not what comes from outside, that defiles a person.
Jesus of Nazareth wrote:Mark 7:18 "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'?
19 For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean."
20 He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.'
21 For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery,
22 greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.
23 All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.'"
It was confirmed as Church practice in the Book of Acts (which chronicles some of the doings of the first generation of Christ's followers after His ascension):
Acts 10:Ac 10:11 He (the Apostle Peter) saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners.
12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air.
13 Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
14 "Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."
15 The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."
Okay, back to the OT coming back. Many Christians believe it is permanently obsolete, but many also believe that God still has plans for Israel (as a tribe, not necessarily the nation of Israel extant today). Because of Israel's rejection of Jesus as their Messiah, God called a people for His name out of the Gentiles (i.e., non-Jews, "Gentiles" means "peoples") in order to provoke Israel to jealousy so they would come back to Him.
Romans 11:25 I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening (i.e, of heart) in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in.
26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob. Ro 11:27 And this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins." {Paul is quoting from the OT: Isaiah 59:20,21; 27:9; Jer. 31:33,34}
28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs,
29 for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable.
There is more on this in Revelation where we see the OT sacrifices reinstated. By then the Church as a body has been taken to Heaven and God's saving love and grace once again works through the Jews, specifically through the 144,000 Jewish people who will go throughout the Tribulation-weary earth.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, but "short answers" can be easily misunderstood and manipulated; still, this is just a tiny blurb but I hope I answered your question, Av?
Last edited by deer of the dawn on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

That makes 2 answers that do not in practice contradict each other. (plus the clarifications I posted on the other thread).

And the comment about short answers is spot on - it is the answer to everyone who says "Why doesn't he just get to the point or say the answer in one sentence?"
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

I just wanted to comment/clarify that the OT law was a specific set of guidelines for ISRAEL and all who clung to Yahweh as God. They were never intended to be a universal set of rules for all humanity, but only those who chose a relationship with God.

In the NT, Jesus reiterates every one of the Ten Commandments except one-- the Sabbath rule. Later in the NT it is taught that Christ Himself is the fulfillment of the Sabbath (which was Saturday, btw). But the other nine are still held as standard rules of morality for the Church.

And just in case someone decides to bring in the homosexuality issue,
Mark 10:6 "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.' {Jesus quotes from Gen. 1:27}
7 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,
8 and the two will become one flesh.' {Jesus quotes from Gen. 2:24} So they are no longer two, but one.
Since Jesus defined marriage as one man and one woman, that is the standard for the Church as well.

And yes, in practice, individual Christians and the Church (as a whole) vary greatly. I'm just saying what Jesus said because I hold Him as authoritative, more than the Church or other Christians.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

deer of the dawn wrote: And just in case someone decides to bring in the homosexuality issue,
Mark 10:6 "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.' {Jesus quotes from Gen. 1:27}
7 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,
8 and the two will become one flesh.' {Jesus quotes from Gen. 2:24} So they are no longer two, but one.
Since Jesus defined marriage as one man and one woman, that is the standard for the Church as well.

And yes, in practice, individual Christians and the Church (as a whole) vary greatly. I'm just saying what Jesus said because I hold Him as authoritative, more than the Church or other Christians.
Isn't that a response to divorce? Specifically how not to do it, and if you did so and married someone else, you were an adulterer?

The point I'm trying to raise her is that Christ seems very much against divorce. Period. If you or any other Christian were to say, "well, divorce is all right if..." all ready, that'd be going against Christ's teachings. And if divorce and remarriage is not absolutely adultery as presented in these verses, how can we trust any 'divine definition of marriage' derived from verses all ready brimming with exceptions?
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

[quote="Linna "Heartlistener"]Cambo- you should be my logic-checker... yeah, I thought of that one after posting. Do you think everyone would "go for the deal" if we were just born into a world where more things "went right" for us from the start, and the character of this employer was was more obvious?[/quote]

You mean if everyone knew the Christian God was the real, literal and only God? Well of course everyone would go for the deal. In a choice between eternal paradise and eternal damnation, the Christian God rivals the Godfather in offers you can't refuse :biggrin: .
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cambo wrote:[quote="Linna "Heartlistener"]Cambo- you should be my logic-checker... yeah, I thought of that one after posting. Do you think everyone would "go for the deal" if we were just born into a world where more things "went right" for us from the start, and the character of this employer was was more obvious?
You mean if everyone knew the Christian God was the real, literal and only God? Well of course everyone would go for the deal. In a choice between eternal paradise and eternal damnation, the Christian God rivals the Godfather in offers you can't refuse :biggrin: .[/quote]
Hmmm...that depends.
IF they knew that, they wouldn't have to CHOOSE the deal, they'd revel in it cuz they'd know for sure just how freaking all that awesome and a slice of death by chocolate God really was.
Unless...all the crappy stuff was still happening to people, in which case S/HE'd at least have to face a heated press conference once in a while, answer some charges of cronyism/abuse of power, maybe face impeachment.
But at least it would be a fair test then, and a real choice, instead of russian roulette with an uzi and a full clip.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Satan didn't go for it, though. Right? He knew God personally. He was one of God's main guys? But he rejected it all. Knowing these things to be facts would not necessarily give anyone a love for God, agreement with God's morality, or faith in God's plan.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Orlion wrote:
deer of the dawn wrote: And just in case someone decides to bring in the homosexuality issue,

Isn't that a response to divorce? Specifically how not to do it, and if you did so and married someone else, you were an adulterer?

The point I'm trying to raise her is that Christ seems very much against divorce. Period. If you or any other Christian were to say, "well, divorce is all right if..." all ready, that'd be going against Christ's teachings. And if divorce and remarriage is not absolutely adultery as presented in these verses, how can we trust any 'divine definition of marriage' derived from verses all ready brimming with exceptions?
DoD is largely right, though I won't give the same reasons in the same format...

This is where the questions/challenges and answers to the Sola Scriptura position will differ from those that point to a physical Church authority. The former revolve around who can better manipulate whatever Scripture they choose. The latter can (and must) point to the whole interpretation of Tradition (all of the commentary and clarifications of Church fathers, as well as Church practices and other sources of that Tradition) that interpreted and determined what it meant long before they were ever born.

With the Sola Scriptura position you can play 'Philadelphia lawyer'. Sometimes Christians will broadly agree, sometimes they won't. And whoever is opposed to a position or understanding can pretty much ALWAYS disagree on the same grounds - using and pointing to Scripture. It is in practice WHY they disagree; why you have division in the first place.

As long as you're treating the Bible like something that exists and has existed in a vacuum - something you can use like a book of rules or like Supreme Court judges arguing over the Constitution - you're in a false position. (That goes for everybody; not picking on anyone here.) It is a thing, much more like a library than a single book that was produced within a given Tradition, by that Tradition and for that Tradition. That takes you back to the historical question, which I've already responded to. There was a definite thing that definitely produced the Bible we see today; that both wrote it and determined its table of contents. The only way Christian faith could be true is if that thing - that physical presence of the Church, which definitely survived to AD 400 (when the Biblical canon was definitely established) also survived to the present day. If it did NOT survive, then you guys can cross Christian faith off your list of things to worry about and just relax (until the moment of your death, anyway). Continuity. Paradosis, the faithful handing down of Tradition. That's the key. Again, I see a contradiction in Donaldson fans taking seriously a story about Sunder son of Nassic inheriting a 4,000-yr tradition that is actually true (within the story) and yet denying that a paradosis of half that length could possibly happen. I see that it can be done - if the people do so religiously; if it is a matter of drilling in lifelong practice of teaching and practice.

So the logical chain (the short one) is that
a) Paradosis is possible

b) If the Christian faith is true, then paradosis is essential. (If there is no paradosis then we may confidently discard the Christian faith)

c) We must find that paradosis if we hope to be sure of having correct understandings of the Christian faith. Without it we are reinventing our own understanding of what that faith is (and the skeptic has fair intellectual grounds to dispute/discard the faith)

d) Any claim of paradosis must be able to show consistency and continuity in teaching and practice from the beginnings to now. Thus, one must have a continuous history. History can show if a thing existed, and its absence gives the skeptic good grounds to doubt.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Fist and Faith wrote:Satan didn't go for it, though. Right? He knew God personally. He was one of God's main guys? But he rejected it all. Knowing these things to be facts would not necessarily give anyone a love for God, agreement with God's morality, or faith in God's plan.
True, true. I myself wouldn't necessarily "go for it" because I agreed with God's morality. If we're dealing with exactly the same God we find in the Bible, there are many ways in which I certainly don't. Which, now that I think of it, would make me hellbound anyway, since you can't get into heaven just for wanting to, right?

Man, I'm screwed. :lol:

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

rusmeister wrote:
With the Sola Scriptura position you can play 'Philadelphia lawyer'. Sometimes Christians will broadly agree, sometimes they won't. And whoever is opposed to a position or understanding can pretty much ALWAYS disagree on the same grounds - using and pointing to Scripture. It is in practice WHY they disagree; why you have division in the first place.
No problems here, and it's kinda the point of my post. Once again, it is only a problem with Sola Scriptura religions. Any other religion that claims 'Tradition' can come up with whatever they want (sounds harsh, so I'll say that is how it appears to outsiders ;)). Establishing authority becomes increasing difficult the farther from, in this case Christian, belief you go. For example: any Christian will probably be able to establish Christ as an authority, from there one can try and trace a 'tradition' down to their religion. For a, say, atheist, this approach will not work, since you have to establish tons of stuff even before you get to Christ as an authority. But I digress. What I really want to address is:
Again, I see a contradiction in Donaldson fans taking seriously a story about Sunder son of Nassic inheriting a 4,000-yr tradition that is actually true (within the story) and yet denying that a paradosis of half that length could possibly happen.
The tradition that Sunder inherited was corrupted. It had some truth in it, but it was changed do to time passed and necessities imposed by the Sunbane.
I see that it can be done - if the people do so religiously; if it is a matter of drilling in lifelong practice of teaching and practice.
Once again, this may preserve certain 'core dogma', but certain events (Nero, German Barbarians, mad Arabs writing sanity shattering books...) will (and I believe have) corrupt the system somewhat. At this point, we get to a 'my tradition is purest' debate... which, may actually be the only solution.
a) Paradosis is possible

b) If the Christian faith is true, then paradosis is essential. (If there is no paradosis then we may confidently discard the Christian faith)

c) We must find that paradosis if we hope to be sure of having correct understandings of the Christian faith. Without it we are reinventing our own understanding of what that faith is (and the skeptic has fair intellectual grounds to dispute/discard the faith)

d) Any claim of paradosis must be able to show consistency and continuity in teaching and practice from the beginnings to now. Thus, one must have a continuous history. History can show if a thing existed, and its absence gives the skeptic good grounds to doubt.
Ultimately, I don't think this can work in such a strict manner. If, however, you can prove that your current tradition is the one 'least corrupted', it would certainly give a better starting point for divining the 'pure tradition' then if you start with a more corrupted tradition. However, it would seem to me that all (well, maybe most) traditions, regardless of corruption (I use this word to mean 'change from original' and not with any other connotation) has some very core beliefs that could, theoretically, start one on the path to 'true tradition'.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Orlion wrote:
rusmeister wrote:
No problems here, and it's kinda the point of my post. Once again, it is only a problem with Sola Scriptura religions. Any other religion that claims 'Tradition' can come up with whatever they want (sounds harsh, so I'll say that is how it appears to outsiders ;)). Establishing authority becomes increasing difficult the farther from, in this case Christian, belief you go. For example: any Christian will probably be able to establish Christ as an authority, from there one can try and trace a 'tradition' down to their religion. For a, say, atheist, this approach will not work, since you have to establish tons of stuff even before you get to Christ as an authority. But I digress. What I really want to address is:
Again, I see a contradiction in Donaldson fans taking seriously a story about Sunder son of Nassic inheriting a 4,000-yr tradition that is actually true (within the story) and yet denying that a paradosis of half that length could possibly happen.
The tradition that Sunder inherited was corrupted. It had some truth in it, but it was changed do to time passed and necessities imposed by the Sunbane.
I see that it can be done - if the people do so religiously; if it is a matter of drilling in lifelong practice of teaching and practice.
Once again, this may preserve certain 'core dogma', but certain events (Nero, German Barbarians, mad Arabs writing sanity shattering books...) will (and I believe have) corrupt the system somewhat. At this point, we get to a 'my tradition is purest' debate... which, may actually be the only solution.
a) Paradosis is possible

Ultimately, I don't think this can work in such a strict manner. If, however, you can prove that your current tradition is the one 'least corrupted', it would certainly give a better starting point for divining the 'pure tradition' then if you start with a more corrupted tradition. However, it would seem to me that all (well, maybe most) traditions, regardless of corruption (I use this word to mean 'change from original' and not with any other connotation) has some very core beliefs that could, theoretically, start one on the path to 'true tradition'.
A pain-in-the-butt for the multi-lingual poster - when your keyboard is set to the wrong language, and you've typed a paragraph or more before you realize that you've typed a lot of gibberish... :o :oops:

Yes, I quite agree with your first point. I hope it's clear that I think the big thing excluded from consideration is that of history. Generally there is a very narrow prismatic view of it, usually that dictated in public school textbooks, where the entire history of religion in Christendom is reduced to
1) Christians vs lions
2) The Crusades (although much of the time the motivation is written off as pretty much exclusively the greed of leaders rather than the beliefs of many of them and of most of their followers)
3) Boy, that Catholic Church sure was corrupt in the Middle Ages!
4) Indulgences
5) The Inquisition
oh, and
6) Galileo, of course.

That list is based on fairly extensive comparison (by me) of textbooks approved for public schools, which most of us are graduates of.

If anyone can see any particular bias in the particular facts selected...
But we weren't taught to be biased now, were we?

Actually, as I recall, (running on fading memories here) Nassic had it pretty much right, though in symbolism that he hardly understood - it was the Clave that deliberately twisted it and that he was actually preserving the tradition from. I might be wrong there, but my main point was that we accept the idea of a truth being passed down over a looooong period of time in fiction, but not in practice - or at least in relation to one particular religion. (I think most of us accept the maintenance of ancient Buddhist and Hindu pratices.)

So when you say "Certain events WILL corrupt the system" you do seem to deny the possibility of paradosis in practice. I disagree. I think that we do happen to have some texts that have been faithfully copied from the ancient world, that not everything has been "corrupted" and that some quotes have been preserved, even verbatim, for thousands of years. And the written word is merely reflection of the oral word.

Now we definitely have a problem when facing a claim "My tradition is the purest", I agree. So then you can ask, "On what basis do you think so?" Someone, somewhere, is rather likely to hold to a version mostly or completely identical to that of one's ancestors compared to other versions.

I've already offered Church history as a way to prove, not the truth of the Christian faith as such, but that certainly there were definite practices and a definite history, and these things can be shown and examined, unlike mere claims of belief, and that they can offer proof (or 'strong evidence' if you prefer) of the practical paradosis of a given tradition; that it is not, in fact corrupted (in the sense you use it in).

An example of a different sense would be the discussion of the struggles in the Church between orthodoxy and heresy - which is predicted by the very orthodox teachings from the premise that man is Fallen and IS going to screw up on his own. I in fact agree with you for the most part about corruption - except that I see a logical exception - IF an institution IS divinely guided, then deviations WILL be corrected when the people go wrong. So my summary is that I believe paradosis to be possible in theory, nearly impossible in practice, but not completely impossible. And the proof is when we see the ancient teachings and practices duplicated in a Church existing today. The Orthodox Church is practical proof of paradosis - again, not of the truth of the Faith itself - but of its successful handing-down. An examination of the early Church, of the writings of the ancient ante-Nicene fathers, of the edifices, the icons painted or engraved therein, the practices in worship described - reveals that it has something that is unchanged in its essence. THAT can be proved. (PS - I am aware of Roman Catholic and other claims, and for now would treat them as the same - the thing being to establish that there was an institution that has existed continually and has not in fact changed its doctrine, though it may have developed and clarified existing doctrine, and has maintained all vital practices. Once that is established, then we could go on to other questions.)

Now from my experience here, I know some people will object to my bias - they want all versions and forms to be considered equally valid and object if one finds that one really does have a better claim than others, for the driving desire is that none of them should have a better claim. But if we CAN prove something via history, logic, etc, are we not reasonable in being so biased and unreasonable in demanding the denial of such a conclusion?

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Ok, going back to divorce... yes, I believe that God hates divorce-- he said as much:
Mal 2:16 "I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel, "and I hate a man's covering himself with violence as well as with his garment," says the LORD Almighty. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith.
However, that does NOT mean that
1. divorce is sinful or unforgivable, or
2. that divorce is nonexistent.

If divorce was sinful, God would not have divorced Israel.
Jer 3:8 I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries.
Divorce is a result of sin (in God's case, because of Israel's adulteries).

If divorce was nonexistent, then God would have never allowed people to give a certificate of divorce.

Should divorced people remarry? Ah, that is a very controversial subject! On some issues, the Bible gives just enough information that there is no cut-and-dried "thou shalt" to refer to-- instead we have to go to our knees and pray heavily and heartfelt to know what to do.

But maybe that's the point. When I first converted there was a guy in my church that I would go to with all my burning questions. At some point he held up his Bible and said to me, "Everything in here is meant to bring me to my knees." Not to always give a do-this, don't-do-that checklist.

Grace, love, holiness-- these are not quantifiable terms, at least in limited human thinking.

Linna Heartbooger

From the Words that Hurt thread:
deer of the dawn wrote:I need this:
O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me!...
But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. (Psalm 3)
Cambo wrote:
Cameraman Jenn wrote:And please don't take this the wrong way but God's love should not be a crutch to carry you through your self doubt or a replacement wall for the walls that came down to cause you pain, God should be a light inside you that shines through you so that you have no need of crutches or walls
+1.

I've already said I'm far from a Christian,so maybe my conception of God doesn't apply here. But I agree. God is not a crutch. God is the purest and most absolute part of your Self. All that is Holy is present in you. And Deer, don't think think the Holy in your Self doesn't shine through.
I can be such a purist sometimes, but I really see this as trying to make an amalgam out of worldviews are inherently dissonant...

Though God within oneself (and shining out through a multitude of other hearts as well) is definitely a part of the goal of Christianity... I think there's a question of mechanism and of essential nature.

I think that what I mean when I think of that is totally different from the vision that you're putting forward. (assuming that I've got your meaning right - or at least that I'm even in the right ballpark!)

But then again, you both were totally trying to give encouragement to deer, so maybe I'm trying to stick my nose into a conversation that's not even mine to wrangle with... :roll:
Last edited by Linna Heartbooger on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Flannery O'Connor

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Linna wrote:I can be such a purist sometimes, but I really see this as trying to make an amalgam out of worldviews are inherently dissonance...
Speaking of purists, that grammar really grates. :P

I know what you mean, though. Once again I reiterate that I'm not a Christian, and there is much in my philosophy that could be viewed as very much un-Christian. Libertarian views on sex and a complete lack of belief in sin, for example. But I don't think there's an inherent dissonance, more of a dissonance in particulars. And being a non-religious believer, I'm all for amalgams. :biggrin:
Linna wrote:I think that what I mean when I think of that is totally different from the vision that you're putting forward. (assuming that I've got your meaning right - or at least that I'm even in the right ballpark!)
Quite possibly. Quite possibly Deer feels as you do. Quite possibly my words are too far removed from her reality to help at all. *shrug* I can only offer what I have, and Christian style belief is not among my attributes.
Linna wrote:But then again, you both were totally trying to give encouragement to deer, so maybe I'm trying to stick my nose into a conversation that's not even mine to wrangle with...
Meh. This is a forum for philosophical debate. And I agree this thread is the place for this particular debate. So you did good. Stop second guessing yourself! :)

DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Dear Av,

In an earlier post you posited that Christians believe that the New Testament supercedes the Old. While I appreciate your candor and simplicity of question, the phrasing of your question is too general to answer. It is like saying "Women like flowers and jewelry." While it may be true for some women, and spot on for many, it is too general to have real meaning.

I can only speak for myself and my particular branch as to what we believe. Oddly enough, I am called a Ruling Elder within my branch of the Presbyterian Church (EPC). Basically it means that I have keys to the church, duties to perform wihtin the service when needed (communion, etc.), and an understanding of our tradition of order. We have what are Essentials (things which are non-negotiable) and non-essentials (which each church can do as they please).

We are Calvinists (if that has any meaning to you), but often that is misunderstood. I was raised a Protestant Mutt. As a child I attended a Bretheren Church, was Baptized into the Disciples of Christ Church. I have attended Methodist, Episcopalian, Lutheran, and Baptist churches as a singer, and came to Presbyterianism as an organist.

Perhaps you have seen or attended churches where they are seated for OT readings, but they stand for the reading of the Gosple/NT. This tradition was started exactly due to your premise. For many, it is obvious; I did it for years never knowing WHY it was done. Live and learn. So for these people, your statement is correct. I vaguely remember this being present in Catholic, Lutheran and Episcopal services, though I am sure it is present elsewhere in Christendom.

We (EPC) hold no such belief, so for us it would be false. While I came to this understanding as a 'tradition' it was only understood when explained to me why we don't: if one supercedes the OT with the NT, then the eschatological elements present there (Daniel, Isaiah, etc.) would be invalidated. For those like me who had no idea what that word means, it references unfulfilled prophecy. As some of this is referenced and fulfilled in the NT Gospels, 'supercede' is not exactly the correct word, for one cannot simultaneously fulfill OT prophecy and Supercede it. At least from my pserspective.

One difficulty with discussing a subject like this, is that often, humans don't actually study the subject, but rather pick highlights and run with their own assumptions. Virtually every major and minor sect within Christendom has done this.

In order not to offend others, I will pick on my own and say that often Calvinists/Presbys are thought to understand that the doctrine of Predestination means that Evangelism is a waste of time, as God will call those who are to understand and those who aren't won't listen to you anyway. The EPC stands for Evangelical Presbyterian Church, which at the outset seems contradictory to a cursory understanding of Calvinism, and is certain to raise a few eyebrows. However, if one believes that Jesus is God's Son (we do), and that the Bible (including its editing to the current protestant version) is inspired by God (which is also an Essential of our faith) then clearly he gave us the Great Commission (which he did), and thus we must spread the word as the Parable of the Sower says, which will fall on barren ground and gain nothing, on weak ground, and gain little, and on fertile ground and enhance God's Kingdom. We cannot know who has been called or where the fertile ground is, so we must do it and leave it in God's Hands.

I hope this has answered your question (and not just bored you into a stupor). But if not, at least you will understand my perspective on the matter, even if you don't share it.

Doc
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean

Return to “The Close”