Honninscrave

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Honninscrave

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

The pose is deliberately similar to the one I recently gave the First. Colors come later. PSP9/Wacom Intuos3, taken c. 20h.

So what's up with those mushroomy trousers? The text says he wears leather leggings, but I once sketched Foamfollower clad in such garb complete with a medieval codpiece, and it looked so preposterous I scrapped the whole idea for good. ;) So, instead, he has a pair of typical Viking pants, winingas, and a <i>tarsoly</i>, rather like in this costume.

<b>EDIT #3: Looks like my webhost had eaten the image. Should be working again. Feedback would be welcome. :)</b>
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Wed May 08, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

You're harsh on yourself - the quality of work is awesome and about the artistic license - it was invented for something. On top of that, fan art is fan art, and, especially if you mention the differences, I think that's absolutely fine. And those pants don't seem too much of a problem - he hardy weared only those described ones for his whole life. :) And the ones on your art look fine in the style.

Though I'm not too easy about that on myself - I, at least for now, am not sure if I'm going to do anything with trying to draw Lord Foul, though I'dl ike to - just can't (and actually don't want to) get rid of the way I've always imagined him, no matter what the actual description is like, maybe because there was no description for long and the one I thought up seems fitting (at least to me). And, artistic license or not, I'm not sure if I'm going to try portraying him like that. For now I kind of avoided that, making the bonfire from the begining of the second chronicles, but not sure about that.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Eh, I wasn't entirely serious; suppose a handful of smilies might've expressed the tone better. Edited the post a bit. However, I might occasionally get too self-critical; someone slap me with a caesure if I start doing that too much. ;)
Effaeldm wrote:Though I'm not too easy about that on myself - I, at least for now, am not sure if I'm going to do anything with trying to draw Lord Foul, though I'dl ike to - just can't (and actually don't want to) get rid of the way I've always imagined him, no matter what the actual description is like, maybe because there was no description for long and the one I thought up seems fitting (at least to me). And, artistic license or not, I'm not sure if I'm going to try portraying him like that. For now I kind of avoided that, making the bonfire from the begining of the second chronicles, but not sure about that.
Foul's one tricksy bugger to portray; after the end of TPTP imagined him looking like a pissed-off Zeus with snake's eyes, but before that, more akin to...uh...sentient venom or somesuch half-indescribable piece of otherworldliness. I think the conception of him varies between every reader. Funnily enough, though, I was also happier with my initial impression than the subsequent godly figure. I *think* I saw something with a serpent's head in that bonfire picture, although I could be grievously wrong?

But, I'm glad to hear that Grimmand's attire doesn't need an immediate fix; I'm fairly happy with it myself. Also it would make perfect sense that he owned at least a second pair of pants. :biggrin:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I love your Honninscrave, Zorm. Yours is the closest I've seen to capturing "a beard like a fist". And, of course, I think you have a lock on Giants in general.

However, if there's anyone who could capture Foul in his pissed-off Zeus period, it would be you. Just imagine the perfectly sculpted physique, the leonine hair, the flowing beard ... it has your name all over it.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

wayfriend wrote:I love your Honninscrave, Zorm. Yours is the closest I've seen to capturing "a beard like a fist". And, of course, I think you have a lock on Giants in general.

However, if there's anyone who could capture Foul in his pissed-off Zeus period, it would be you. Just imagine the perfectly sculpted physique, the leonine hair, the flowing beard ... it has your name all over it.
Thanks. :D Perhaps years of drawing Norse giants finally pays off. XD

I also gave him a proper stonemail shirt this time (since you suggested that earlier), although I may well slip back into the bare-chested version at some point. Obviously my cavewoman genes can't get over the fact that he's like the ultimate hunk of the 2nd series. :P

I've debated with myself about bringing Foul on digipaper sometime in the nearby future, but the right inspiration hasn't struck yet.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(I had a suspicion Honninscrave had changed, but I could not put my finger on it.)

I will no go off to ponder ways to inspire you. Perhaps I shall take a cue from Del Rey and subject you to numerous and horrible attempts on it, until you finally say, "No, he should look like this ..."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

wayfriend wrote:I will no go off to ponder ways to inspire you. Perhaps I shall take a cue from Del Rey and subject you to numerous and horrible attempts on it, until you finally say, "No, he should look like this ..."
:lol: :thumbsup: :lol:

Return to “The Chronicles Art Gallery”