What age were you when you first read the chronicles?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The movie I planned 2 make in 1979! But then life got in the way! But now that I have RICH friends like u.... :mrgreen: :) :wink: (hey, I'm so poor I have 2 choose Two Tower tickets over a KW t right now!hahaha!)
fall far and well Pilots!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

:lol: Sure, us wealthy people will fund your movie! ;)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

:lol: yeah, I'm so wealthy, only two of us get to go, me and my little son! :lol: And my ticket was free, and his is a child's! :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

Post by Guest »

Then my friends had 2 stop me from cutting off 2 fingers so I could play TC in the movie!
Wow! I only got a white gold class ring - just in case I got the call.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Umm... logged me out again. :oops:
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Damelon, I was having the same problem about getting logged out all of the time until Vain gave me a "fixit". There's a thread here someplace that Vain started called something like"Missing Messages". If you read through the thread you'll see that Vain has provided a proxy server. Come to the Watch under the proxy server, add that to your favorites list, and then come to the Watch via that link from now on. You won't have the problem anymore. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Lady Genni
Ramen

Post by Lady Genni »

Lets see...I believe I was 13/14 for my first reading of the 1st Chrons. (Jr. High)

I'm not really sure with the 2nd. Probably around the same time or when I was in High School. I don't remember it because I didn't get it. Still kind of don't. But patiently waiting for our group read, so y'all can clue me in.
Lady Genni
"By the Seven...!"
Davin
Servant of the Land

Post by Davin »

I was 12... on family vacation when I started them. After reading those, I read the Elric series... probably explains why I am a bit warped in my views on fantasy novels. That's not exactly a gentle introduction. I tried to read Tolkein in high school and couldn't stand the first half of the first book and gave up. Forced myself to read them later in college.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Thanks dutchess. :-) I thought I saw somewhere that you were having the same problem. I'll search out that post.
Lauralin
Stonedownor

Post by Lauralin »

I read them all in about about two weeks last year, when I was 15. TWL in fifth grade?! I would've been so freeked out I would've never read anything of the sort ever again!
Each man is worth exactly the value of that which he has seriously persued.
--Marcus Auralius
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

I was 9 when I first read the chronicles, and I was 10 when I finished them. I've read 'em umpteen thousand times since then, seems like. :) :wink: :roll:
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

18 and a senior in high school. My friends passed them to me to read just before White Gold Wielder came out, and just as The One Tree came out in paperback. I remember finishing One Tree my first semester (summer semester) in college.
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

I was 14&1/2, just turned 15 last month and am on the one tree(man! What a slow reader I am, but I read a lot of other books at the same time.) 8O

You guys ever read Ender's series? The hitchhiker's guide + all the others are pretty good too. :)

Oooh and The Princess Bride... Man, that is one great story that can include humor without taking away the power of the plot. I've loved that book forever. :D :D

Pie and Cake
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

I was 15...it was just last year. :)

~Foamy~
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

13 or 14. My dad read to me from them when I was little though. I remember him reading about the Rhaynhyn in Sarangrave Flat on the quest to Coercri and being horrified at what happened to the poor horse! :oops: Then a few years later, he gave them to me to read - and I kept them till I moved out.

Guest wrote:
Wow! I only got a white gold class ring - just in case I got the call.
Yeah, I insisted on a white gold wedding ring.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Mouseglove
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mouseglove »

This is why I hold SRD in such high esteem, I think.

When I was 12, (back in the late 70's) my Father handed me a copy of "The Hobbit". He said "This will be hard, but if you can make it through it, and like it, I have more."

I did, and I did, and the next book he handed me was LFB. The rest, as they say, is history.
dennisap
Servant of the Land

Post by dennisap »

13-14.It's been some time since I posted. My life is like Linden Avery's....(?)
"...but the soul in which the flower grows
survives."

readingandphilosophy.blogspot.com
vt53
Woodhelvennin

Post by vt53 »

Read them for the first time in the USAF in 1977/78 I was 22
" a universe with no edge in space, no begining or end in time"
Mirager
Servant of the Land

Post by Mirager »

I believe i was 11 or 12... in 7th grade. Funny, in my literature class, I had an assignment to write a summary on a random book. So, right before class on a day that I had to submit my book for approval, i ran into the library and pulled a random book off the rack... it was green, and had these cool ghost looking people standing straight up on a cliff.

As I flipped through the pages, I came across the chapter where Covenant and Foamfollower were crossing Foul's creche... and it ended up captivating me. Realizing i was starting the last book of a series, I decided to track down Foul's bane... and didnt look back. (on a side note, we had 6 book reviews during that year... take a guess at which 6 i chose?)

Looking back, i only came across this series out of my own stupid, unambitious childhood.... and damn, am I ever so grateful that i was a lazy kid. :?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

*bump*
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”