AATE - Chapter 7: Crossing the Hazard

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

AATE - Chapter 7: Crossing the Hazard

Post by SoulBiter »

We ended last chapter with some important information from Anele and then a glimpse that TC remembers something that might be helpful but instead he has slipped back into his memory again.
But we get some insight into what Linden is feeling and thinking.
She believed that she would be content if she could find Jeremiah; if she could close her arms around him one last time. She tried to believe that. But it was not the truth. She needed to see him freed from the Croyel. And she would never be content without Covenant. For her own sake she wanted Covenant to be whole, then she might be able to forgive herself. But he was essential for less selfish reasons as well.
She wants to free her son but she also needs Thomas Covenant. And she hasn’t forgiven herself for the damage that has been done to his mind. He really isn’t whole and she feels responsible.
TC speaks up and tells us something but what? You cant kill her, She is dangerous, She feels. She sleeps. So who is she? Who is he talking about? Is he just lost in some past or future part of his mind?
Linden decides to go see if she can help the harrow and Im surprised at what the Humbled have to say…
“What magic do you possess, Linden Avery, that will meet our need? Are you not self-bereft of every vital resource?”
OK the Haruchai have this thing about being self sufficient and have been trying to get her to give up her power since they met her. Now all of a sudden its as if they think that without the staff and ring she has nothing to offer.
Stave however puts them in their place and together she and Stave cross the chasm to where the Harrow is. On the way across Stave tells Linden that not only is the stone strong enough to support them but also that there is another power there. Something he can sense.
They find the Harrow kneeling and concentrating with the ring at his forehead. He appears to be frustrated and hasn’t been able to figure out how to get past this hazard. They trade barbs and eventually the Harrow allows her to touch the staff and unblocks her from it. As soon as she touches it she is awash with healing and sight. Not just sight but earthsight. The kind that the people of the land have always had. To be able to feel rocks, trees, earth. The right or wrong of things. To taste beauty. To feel color. All the things that have made us all fall in love with this world, this continent that we call The Land. SRD does a great job with the discriptions:
Now everything around her seemed to unfold, to blossom, as though she had stepped into a new dimension of reality. She felt the obdurate antiquity of the rock under her; the sheer age and indifference of the air; the specific stability and limitations of the Hazard; the ponderous downward yearning of the stalactites; the commingled eagerness and submission of water as it gathered and trickled down the gnarled surfaces of the stalactites to fall like streams of time into the extinction of the abyss. She perceived the Harrow’s anxieties and hungers, and Stave’s stubborn strength, as if they impinged directly on her skin
As she sends her percipience outward she sees that they were not really in the dark but that there are tendrils of power going all over the place. A tangle of power. And then she pushed her sight even further and she senses what Stave had sensed. A malignant power and it was sentient, albeit asleep. She then realizes that this bane, this sentient being was the source of Kevins dirt. Somehow ‘she’ supplies the force that formed it. Now that Linden has called it ‘She’, I begin to suspect that this is the same ‘she ‘ that TC was talking about earlier in this chapter.
She convinces the Harrow to let her actually hold the staff and he concedes it with her promise to give it back. While she had been talking to the Harrow he kept saying that the answer was in her darkness and rage. But as she gets her staff she realizes that he is very wrong. That the Viles were for millennia beings of beauty.
According to Esmer they lived in caverns as ornate and majestic as castles. There they devoted their vast power and knowledge to the making of beauty and wonder, and all their works were filled with loveliness.
When she finally starts really looking at the threads she figures out their patterns. She does so by her knowledge of the Viles. Not information but what her ‘sight’ had told her.
Trusting the taste of sounds, the scent of blackness, the tactile seethe of meaning, she inserted her thread delicately among the tendrils. (snip) She wrapped her thread around the essential strand. As she tightened Earthpower on that strand, she smelled the Harrow’s warnings, tasted the grip of Staves hand.
Again we find that someone immersed in Earthpower uses their senses so much differently. And in this case she uses what she knew of the Viles from her meeting with them in the past to see what she needs to know, what threads the move and which one would bring down the forbidding. So she snaps the one tendril that holds it all together. When she does the forbidding falls apart and even the Harrow is awed by what she has done. However he is still what he is and tells her to give the staff back. At once she is enveloped by Kevins dirt.
TC again mentions ‘She’.
‘She’s’ going to get bigger. Every time ‘She’ eats. Every time someone who doesn’t know or care how dangerous ‘She’ is comes down here.
As they move forward the Ardent is left behind for last. He is scared to cross the Hazard. Much the same way that TC used to be scared to come down from Kevins Watch. But the will of the insequent makes him cross. He speaks of it as a geas.
And thus ends this chapter
Urged by the Giants, Stave and Liand encouraged her into the Lost Deep.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

The words of the Humbled are hardly any surprise - they've thought she was unworthy at any time, and that any possibilities she actually had were all because of her instruments of power, unlike their own.

The part about the knowledge of the Viles feels very important, though it was already mentioned and used, it's brought up again - it allows to understand the Land better, and at the same time awakes more thought about Esmer's words and the world in general. Esmer, with all the aid and betrayal thing, looks like he's trying to give more practical, obvious betrayal and subtle, almost unseen aid, that may have more resonance later, though it's hard to see for those who who listen, and especially in the dire situations that are present. Those words about Viles already helped Linden when she met them in the past and those same words - again, here.

In the wait for TLD it may be interesting to rack through whatever Esmer mentioned for more hints, but this same piece may very likely appear again, maybe some other words that were also there - they just appeared out of place at the moment, like this.
"Why are you telling me this?" she asked abruptly. "It isn't what I need. I have to know why the Demondim didn't kill Jeremiah and Covenant. You said that Kastenessen convinced those monsters to let me escape. Did he do the same for my son and Covenant'?"
A flare of anger like a glimpse of the Illearth Stone showed in Esmer's eyes. "And are you also ignorant," he retorted, "that the Cavewights were once friendly to the people of the Land? I wish you to grasp the nature of such creatures. You inquire of Kastenessen, and I reply. That which appears evil need not have been so from the beginning, and need not remain so until the end.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

There's something in there that suddenly gave me a thought I hadn't had before SB...and really should have. All the things about TC IS the white gold, but still [at least when he has a body] needs a trigger, the ring.
Why has no one [AFAIR] including myself made the connection...Linden IS the Law. [trigger, staff]
There's an interesting [I think, I'll have to ponder] compare/contrast...both, a paradox, also keeping with a common thread...as the venom was meant by LF to shatter TC's restraints..."teach" him they do not exist...and fear his power, leading him down the wrong path, which he transcends because he IS white gold...the Dirt and Jeremiah are meant to "teach" Linden there ARE limits...and fear her impotence, leading her down the wrong path, which [hopefully] she will transcend, because she IS the Law.
Pure speculation, not deeply thought on yet...but a definite Hmmm moment from your dissection [and I wonder how it will fit in with my grand theory?].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Contradiction seems to be a constant in this whole series. TC will Doom or Save the land. One is often given one expectation (Covenant is dead) and then are led to another place (Covenant is reborn). Even within the series it happens. 1st series--Land is beautiful and ruled by law; 2nd series, TC expects to be brought back to the beauty of the Land, only to find it corrupted by the Sunbane. I think likewise, it is hard for us to hear the name "Viles" and juxtapose it with "All their works were filled with Loveliness". And yet, somehow, one can't help but wonder if Loveliness is indeed without danger...
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Vraith wrote:There's something in there that suddenly gave me a thought I hadn't had before SB...and really should have. All the things about TC IS the white gold, but still [at least when he has a body] needs a trigger, the ring.
Why has no one [AFAIR] including myself made the connection...Linden IS the Law. [trigger, staff]
The ring is only part of the trigger, a link. White gold magic needs Earthpower as well!
Lord Mhoram came to understand this in Elena's marrowmeld sculpture.
Kevin's Dirt (and the Sunbane) is there to impede the use of Earthpower - and the white gold magic!
DoctorGamgee wrote:it is hard for us to hear the name "Viles" and juxtapose it with "All their works were filled with Loveliness". And yet, somehow, one can't help but wonder if Loveliness is indeed without danger...
Like Vraith, there's something about the Viles that suddenly gave me a thought I hadn't had before.

Could the Viles be the origins of the Elohim?

I'm sure someone will prove this to be out of sequence in the Land's history and evolution. But I thought that the Elohim's 'hautiness' reminded me of (the best example I could think of) the character Estelle, from Great Expectations. Her roots were not as high and mighty as she believed, but in truth, she was the daughter of a criminal.

Similairly, Infelice may well find her roots are not what they seem!
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Well, this dissection and the comments have sparked a few thoughts...

Linden's solution to getting the group across the hazard seems somewhat...I want to say contradictory, but that's not the right word...
The group is trapped in this dark cavern, the Harrow's arrogance and ignorance disallow him from getting the group across, and so Linden steps in to take the task upon herself. In the middle of pg. 121, Linden says "Opening that portal takes something more than Earthpower and Law. That's why the Harrow didn't just want my Staff and Covenant's ring. He wanted me." It is here that I taste the possible truth of the notion that Linden is the Law. Or maybe she's just the most potent expression of it. At any rate, the bit that seems contradictory to me is this:
In the first two installmenst of the TLCs, Linden performed great external deeds to solve gnarly problems that usually only worsened or compounded her inner strife and turmoil. Here at the hazard she doesn't really hesitate to go across and help the Harrow, despite the Humbled mocking her. And the specifics of how she was able to undo the tangle of dark skeins blocking their path are astounding (to me). Due to her experience in the past with the Viles (including the advice from Esmer), and who she essentially is, she was able to see through the falseness of the idea that wrath lies at the heart of the hazard. She rather quickly figured out that loveliness was the turnkey; she was able to use Law and Earthpower to guide her to the truth of an external situation...but rarely applies this skill to her own internal landscape of thoughts and emotions. Linden, have you forgotten that there is also love in the world!

I agree with Effaeldm that the knowledge of the Viles seems crucial. The act (simple in its way) of Linden seeing to the heart of the dilemma, of her seeing through the dark chaos of confusion to the lone tendril of loveliness that the whole thing hinged upon...well, it just resonates with necessity (for the Land's sake).
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

That which is evil needn't always have been so... Kassy was probably a good guy before he was trapped and bereft of his love (as good as an Elohim can be, anyway :P ), the Viles were concerned with beauty, Roger was once a child, and Joan a loving wife and (presumably) mother. How far can this extend? Could Foul have been (as much as his nature allows, any way) 'good'? Is it his imprisonment in time that has driven him to his destructive plans? Is Kassy just another form of Foul in that respect?

So many great questions to ponder... and an excellent insight from Vraith as well!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In [i]Against All Things Ending[/i] was wrote:“That, lady -" He appeared to choke on surprise and wonder. When he continued, he sounded hoarse. "In plain justice, I acknowledge it. That was well done."
What a STAND UP AND CHEER moment! Donaldson set that one up perfectly, and when he delivers it, it goes BOOM!. No higher compliment can I imagine for Linden than to earn the Harrow's grudging, reserved compliment. No higher compliment can I pay Donaldson than by saying, stuff like this is why I read you.

In plain justice, I acknowledge this: Linden is AWESOME.

So, what? No one else was moved by that moment? Or is it just no one mentioned it? Or has THOOLAH got your tongues?

Stupid Humbled. Linden still rocks. Read 'em and weep.
Effaeldm wrote:The part about the knowledge of the Viles feels very important, though it was already mentioned and used, it's brought up again
I think that there's quite a bit more going on than the helpful knowledge of the Viles.

The Harrow admitted that he had wanted Linden's rage. The granite hardness that sealed her soul when she emerged from Melenkurion Skyweir. He wanted it so much he wanted to devour her.
In [i]Against All Things Ending[/i] was wrote:"For that reason, I craved the wordless knowledge within the blackness of your heart. Your encounter with the ancient theurgy of Garroting Deep - the theurgy which scripted these runes - unveiled a mystery to you, though its meaning is beyond your comprehension. I would have known its use, but the Mahdoubt precluded me from acquiring it. Therefore the task is yours. Lady, we will perish here one and all if you do not immerse yourself in your darkest and most insatiable rage. You must become hate and vengeance or die."
He wanted it because he felt it was the key to the Vile's gate, in a very literal way. He believed that, in feeling what Linden felt, he would understand the Viles, and be able to disentangle their puzzle.

But he was wrong. Linden's direct experiences with the Viles were the real key. They weren't ruled by rage, but by questioning their self-worth. Not only did Linden know that, she FELT that. She experienced the same questions of herself, pondered her own self-worth.

She could empathize with the Viles.

I don't think the Harrow could have ever done that. Arrogance doesn't question self-worth. He was doomed to be unable to complete his vow, and perish Insequently. Linden saved his ass. And that's what unlocked his gratitude and repect, probably.

But it's even more complicated than that. There are hints that this is working in both directions. That Linden is able to empathize with the Viles means that granite hardness is not the only legacy from Gallows Howe. Maybe, just maybe, she earned/learned/found/absorbed something there, something less immediately obvious but more profound when it is recognized.
In [i]Against All Things Ending[/i] was wrote:Gallows Howe held truths unknown to Berek and his descendants. Ire was only one aspect of what she had learned in Caerroil Wildwood’s demesne - and in her ordeal under Melenkurion Skyweir. [...] She knew, as the Harrow did not, that there was more to Gallows Howe than rage and slaughter, death and retribution.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

wayfriend wrote:
I don't think the Harrow could have ever done that. Arrogance doesn't question self-worth. He was doomed to be unable to complete his vow, and perish Insequently. Linden saved his ass. And that's what unlocked his gratitude and repect, probably.
Surely you mean consequently? :D
But it's even more complicated than that. There are hints that this is working in both directions. That Linden is able to empathize with the Viles means that granite hardness is not the only legacy from Gallows Howe. Maybe, just maybe, she earned/learned/found/absorbed something there, something less immediately obvious but more profound when it is recognized.
In [i]Against All Things Ending[/i] was wrote:Gallows Howe held truths unknown to Berek and his descendants. Ire was only one aspect of what she had learned in Caerroil Wildwood’s demesne - and in her ordeal under Melenkurion Skyweir. [...] She knew, as the Harrow did not, that there was more to Gallows Howe than rage and slaughter, death and retribution.

I too wondered about that quote but I can't figure out what this additional truth of Gallows Howe could. Justice? Acceptance of futility? Ability to move on?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

My guess would be Acceptance of your Dark Side. Living with your dark side, without rejecting it and without letting it consume you, has been a theme since Covenant tried to pay his phone bill. Failure to achieve this is what led the Viles to their demise: they could not accept that they had a fault of introversion. Surely Linden, like Covenant, has learned a lot about this. While the Harrow: like Hile Troy, he had never learned it.

Return to “Last Chronicles”