Wandering the Sarangrave

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

RaverRats
Servant of the Land

Wandering the Sarangrave

Post by RaverRats »

Towards the end of chapter 10 the Lurker is decribed as suffering the presence of one who wanders lost bearing a token of power with no worth against havoc. Is this Longwrath wandering around the Sarangrave looking for Linden? Covenant cannot guess who this might be. If this is Longwrath, wouldn't Covenant have some sort of clue that this might be Longwrath? Or is somebody else wandering the Sarangrave with a token of power?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Wandering the Sarangrave

Post by Orlion »

RaverRats wrote:Towards the end of chapter 10 the Lurker is decribed as suffering the presence of one who wanders lost bearing a token of power with no worth against havoc. Is this Longwrath wandering around the Sarangrave looking for Linden? Covenant cannot guess who this might be. If this is Longwrath, wouldn't Covenant have some sort of clue that this might be Longwrath? Or is somebody else wandering the Sarangrave with a token of power?
I'd have to look at it again, but my gut says it's Joan.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

My hope is that it's a resurrected Lady Alif.
Her "token" is just what my "havok" needs.

;) :banana:

I assumed it was Longwrath too but it seems odd to me that he got to the Sarangrave so fast.
I think Linden and TC, by this point, have only been gone from Andelain for a day or two I think.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think the problem with the Joan theory is that by all accounts she's been at Foul's Creche (or rather, where it used to be) all along, tended by the skest. She wouldn't be wandering in the Sarangrave.

My thought was that this would be Longwrath. But, we know he has an ability to zero in on Linden from afar, so why would he be lost in the Sarangrave?

The use of the word "havoc" implies a connection to Haruchai and merewives. Esmer used that word often. Then again, Infelice spoke of havoc as well, when speaking of defeating the worm.

It's gotta be Sherrif Lytton.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

wayfriend wrote: It's gotta be Sherrif Lytton.
What then is his "token of power?"
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

dlbpharmd wrote:
wayfriend wrote: It's gotta be Sherrif Lytton.
What then is his "token of power?"
Isn't it his famous white gold belt buckle?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I was thinking of a pair of heavy blued-steel .45s with sandlewood grips. They are very talismanic. :wink:
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

wayfriend wrote:I was thinking of a pair of heavy blued-steel .45s with sandlewood grips. They are very talismanic. :wink:
Well, it could still be Longwrath. If the Elohim disapprove of Covenant's alliance with the Lurker maybe they sent him there to tell the Lurker that it should die.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I would say the odds are it's Longwrath. We often suspect Donaldson of being devious and then it turns out it was just what you thought it would be.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”