Great one-liners

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:
Onos T'oolan wrote:You're up to 744??? Then you've seen the greatest romance of them all!!!
Oh, yeah, and let me say this:
Spoiler
There is no question that the greatest romance in this series is the one between Feather Witch and Brys Beddict's finger.
Oh come on...
Spoiler
Bottle and the rat. Nothing is more beautiful than the harmony of two different species.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

The world, someone once said, gives back what it is given. In abundance. But then, as Kallor would point out, someone was always saying something. Until he got fed up and had them executed.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

No, solitary flight this must remain. For each and all. Ox, horse, dog, cat, mouse and rat, lizard and gnat. And people of all sorts. Old men with limps, old men who never limped in their lives but did so now. Women of all ages, sizes and dispositions, who would have limped could it have earned the necessary sympathy. Yet when even the rooftops hold no succour, why bother riding this bouncing cart of headlong panic? Best to simply flop down in abject surrender, with but a few tugs to rearrange the lie of one's dress or whatnot. Let the men soil themselves in their terror - they never washed enough as it was.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Steve Erickson is teh Funny

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

As much as I love the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, it would be a stretch to say that SRD's books harbor much in the way of humor.

That's why I like to read the works of Neal Stephenson, who is hilariously funny nearly all of the time, regardless of how serious the work as a whole is, and am pleased to be discovering all the zany characters that Steve Erickson has to offer.

I found this particular passage from page 116 of Deadhouse Gates to be a gem of funny, even though later on in the story it appears to have more relevance than one suspects.
Spoiler
"Blunt are the Trell, determined in headlong stumbling and headlong in stumbling determination. As I said. You know nothing of the mysteries involved, the plans of Shadowthrone, the many secrets of the Gray Keep, the Shrouded House where stands the Throne of Shadow. Yet I do. I, alone among all mortals, have been shown the truth arrrayed before me. My god is generous, my god is wise, as cunning as a rat. Spiders must die. The bhok'arala have stolen my broom and this quest I set before you two guests. Icarium and Mappo Trell, famed wanderers of the world, I charge you with this perilous task - find me my broom."
Erickson has a positive genius for oddball characters like Iskaral Pust. :mrgreen:
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Wait 'til you find out *why* the spiders must die.... :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

wayfriend wrote:See also Great one-liners.
Thanks for that link, wayfriend. 8)

I'll PM a moderator and see about getting this merged into there.

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

merged. i tried to think of a humorous title for the merged threads but its way to early and i'm not fully caffeinated. :P
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Squall Inn claimed to have seen better days, but Kalam suspected it never had. The floor of the main room sagged like an enormous bowl tilting every wall inward until angled wooden posts were needed to keep them upright. Rotting food and dead rats with inert patience migrated to the floor's center, creating a mouldering, redolent heap like an offering to some dissolute god.

[NOT MUCH LATER]

An unconscious patron at a neary table toppled from his chair, his head crunching as it struck the flagstones. Kalam, the stranger and the serving woman all watched as the drunk slid down on grease and vomit to join the central heap.

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

"Where's my sword? Where's my boots? Where the fuck is breakfast?"
Corporal Stormy ... Dust of Dreams.
Wide Eyed Stupid

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”