Chicot the Jester

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Chicot the Jester

Post by Usivius »

One of my favourite authors and books is Three Musketeers (and the four sequels). I also like 'Count of Monte Cristo'. In looking for other Dumas books to download to my Kobo, I stumbled upon his early 'account' of the Borgais. I was mildly disappointed as it is very dry, but it was a freee download so...
Then I came across 'Chicot the Jester'.
WOW! 8O It is fantastic. I'm 2/3 the way through and am glued to this book. It is great. All the best elements of Three Musketeers and more. I am happy there is a sequel.
Anyone every read this? Opinions?
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Haven't read it, but with a recommendation like that, I'll have to look for it!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

It's a little difficult to find in physical form, but I found a few (free!) e-versions through Kobo. It has a sequel called, "The Fortyfive Guardsmen", which I am now half-way through.

Chicot is a truly wonderful piece of adventure writing that Dumas does so well! I have heard that some gripe about the ending. It's tragic, yes, but still so good... my only gripe about the ending is that it happens too fast. The last chapter wraps up loose ends in a rush! It could have used another 40 pages at least!

And I have just 'discovered' Dumas' "lost' "last" novel! It was first published in France in 2007 (I didn't know any of this...). It's called "The Last Cavalier".
(more on that later when I get to it....)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~

Return to “General Literature Discussion”