Ents and Forestals

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Nekrimah
Servant of the Land

Ents and Forestals

Post by Nekrimah »

I can think of nothing more frightening than an army of angry wild Huorns led by Caerroil Wildwood. Wildwood wouldn't have stopped at just flooding Isengard, oh my goodness no.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Saruman wouldn't be causing problems in the Shire after that, that's what would happen)

Though it was good for the story purposes and sad in a way - I see Frodo's point there.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Very cool idea. You're right Wildwood would've led the Ents on a hell of a rampage.

Although, if the forests of the Land had Ents, would they have ever needed Forestals?
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

If tree beard was leading them, they would! He's still be saying, 'hmmmm hummmm' over and over while the ravers cut down all the trees.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I agree. The Forestals brought an end to the trees' complacency, and were quick to kick butt when the need arose. Rather than take all day to say good morning to each other.

In some ways the Forestals were more like the Huorns. Forestals and Huorns-- now that would be a fearsome bunch.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

:lol: Fair points on Treebeard. He was kind of slow. Maybe could have done with a Forestal running around butchering orcs and feeding trees roots with their blood. :twisted:
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Nekrimah
Servant of the Land

Post by Nekrimah »

If Wildwood drank Ent-draught, how long would his beard grow?

Speaking of Ent-draught, we should definitely keep Ents and Giants away from each other. Who know what a drunk Ent would do?
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Funnily enough, if etymology acted like haplogroups, they would belong to the same kindred. Both 'giant' and 'ent' trace themselves back to ettin -> eoten -> jötunn.

Perhaps a tipsy Treebeard would carouse around without his moss/lichen on and then pound off to chase some unfortunate elks, mistaking them for nimble entwives.
Nekrimah
Servant of the Land

Post by Nekrimah »

Effaeldm wrote:Saruman wouldn't be causing problems in the Shire after that, that's what would happen)

Though it was good for the story purposes and sad in a way - I see Frodo's point there.
"Saruman has been garroted," said the Forestal with a look of profound satisfaction.

"Melenkurion," breathed Gandalf.
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

One must remember that Treebeard and the Ents did try to kill Saruman. They attacked Orthanc, but were unable to destroy the stones due to the spells/crafting of them. And when Saruman opened the forges and burned them, it was then that cooler heads prevailed and he was trapped by the floodwaters.

However, I must confess that Treebeard did grow soft, where as the Forestall would have kept him there forever...
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Nekrimah wrote: "Saruman has been garroted," said the Forestal with a look of profound satisfaction.
That's hilarious and also probably exactly what would have happened. And then the look of shocked disbelief on the faces of Gandalf and the other "good guys".
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

DoctorGamgee wrote:However, I must confess that Treebeard did grow soft, where as the Forestall would have kept him there forever...
I don't know if he went soft. It was implied that he used the power of his voice to bewitch him into thinking it was a great idea to let him go.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Well, Treabeard's words were:

"Now do not tell me, Gandalf, that I promised to keep him safe; for I know it. But things have changed since then. And I kept him until he was safe, safe from doing any more harm. You should know that above all I hate the caging of live things, and I will not keep even such creatures as these caged beyond great need."

no granted, in the next paragraph, Gandalf alludes to what you suggest:

"He had the poison of his voice, and I guess that he persuaded you, even you Treebeard, knowing the soft spot in your heart."

So perhaps there was some bewitchment...but only because Treebeard had a soft spot...
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

DoctorGamgee wrote:but only because Treebeard had a soft spot...
*imagines Saruman touching Treebeards softspot*
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Ananda wrote:
DoctorGamgee wrote:but only because Treebeard had a soft spot...
*imagines Saruman touching Treebeards softspot*
*Begins to see Saruman in Birkenstocks as a Tree Hugger and shudders.*

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”