The Candidates are Coming [GOP]

Archive From The 'Tank
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

SoulBiter wrote:I think Mitt will get the nomination. The only thing Santorum or Gingrich can do at this point is keep Mitt from getting the nod by electoral votes. If that happens then in a contested race the GOP will put weight behind Mitt getting the nod.
Probably so. But there is a lot of weirdness, and Newt [outloud, for everyone to hear] and maybe Rick from some hints seem hell-bent on manipulating the rules to nominate someone [heh, anyone, but preferably themselves] no matter what the peeps voted for. I mean, most of the delegates so far don't HAVE to vote for Romney even if from the states he won. And even the ones who do have to only have to do so for the first round of conventions voting...all bets off if he doesn't win in first round.
God, our system makes no sense [I don't think the Dem rules are much different from what I recall of the last election...maybe in some details, but not in manipulable vulnerability].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

SerScot wrote:Hashi,

What sucks this year is there is no one for me to vote for once Ron Paul is out of the picture.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

This is timely...
CNN wrote:Fairhope, Alabama (CNN) -- The polls and the campaign dialogue aren't much help in assessing the Mormon factor in the Alabama and Mississippi primaries. The distinct feeling on the ground was that it had an impact, leading many evangelical Christians to reject pragmatic arguments to ignore Mitt Romney's Mormonism because of his presumed electability.

In a pattern dating back to the single-issue campaigns of the segregation era, discussion of this underground religious division was conducted almost entirely through code words and signals and was mainly missing from public forums and press accounts.

[...] Bentley said he voted for Santorum because he considered him the "most conservative candidate" in the field. Among two-thirds of Alabama Republicans, that description translates to most-like-us-religiously.[link]
Ah. So that's what the code is. (Delicious plausible deniability!) All those speeches of Satorum declaring "I'm the most conservative candidate" take on a new, sinister meaning.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

wayfriend wrote: All those speeches of Satorum declaring "I'm the most conservative candidate" take on a new, sinister meaning.
The ironic thing here is that some strange distortion/twisting has happened in the U.S....or at least some demographic of it...cuz even 10/15 years ago, if ANY Catholic candidate said that, the religious right base would have LOL'd across every possible media/political pathway...he'd have 1/2 the evangelical support of Ron Paul...if that's even possible.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

wayfriend wrote:This is timely...
CNN wrote:Fairhope, Alabama (CNN) -- The polls and the campaign dialogue aren't much help in assessing the Mormon factor in the Alabama and Mississippi primaries. The distinct feeling on the ground was that it had an impact, leading many evangelical Christians to reject pragmatic arguments to ignore Mitt Romney's Mormonism because of his presumed electability.

In a pattern dating back to the single-issue campaigns of the segregation era, discussion of this underground religious division was conducted almost entirely through code words and signals and was mainly missing from public forums and press accounts.

[...] Bentley said he voted for Santorum because he considered him the "most conservative candidate" in the field. Among two-thirds of Alabama Republicans, that description translates to most-like-us-religiously.[link]
Ah. So that's what the code is. (Delicious plausible deniability!) All those speeches of Satorum declaring "I'm the most conservative candidate" take on a new, sinister meaning.
That's as good a conspiracy theory as any. :lol: :lol: I dont see how one persons opinion of Alabama voters makes that 'new sinister meaning' true. I dont know that its not true... I just don't know for a fact that it is and some guys opinion on CNN doesn't bring me into that camp.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Farsailer:
You haven't commented on my links to the Discovery Institute, The Wedge Strategy and The Santorum Amendment. Do you not believe it, or do you agree with Santorums affiliations or is there a third option that I'm not seeing?
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

2012 White House Race "Nastiest Ever."

Washington - The Republican campaign to choose a candidate to take on President Barack Obama in November is "the nastiest" ever, presidential campaign veteran John McCain said on Sunday.

McCain should know - he was the target of a barrage of destructive rumours himself in his losing 2000 campaign against George Bush to become the Republican presidential candidate.

In an interview with NBC's Meet the Press, he blamed the mudslinging on the so-called "super PACs," which can raise and spend unlimited sums in support of a candidate so long as their campaign activities are not directly co-ordinated.

"The super PACs have played a key role, unfortunately in my view, because most are negative ads, [have] driven up unfavourables of all the candidates and made it much more difficult to win the election," McCain told NBC television's Meet the Press.

He called the US Supreme Court decision that made super PACs possible in 2010 "the worst decision the United States Supreme Court has made in many years," saying it was the outcome of "naivety and sheer ignorance".

"This is the nastiest [campaign] I have ever seen," McCain added.

McCain has endorsed former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, who is battling former senator Rick Santorum, former House speaker Newt Gingrich and Texas congressman Ron Paul for their party's nomination.
--A
Farsailer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Farsailer »

Prebe wrote:Farsailer:
You haven't commented on my links to the Discovery Institute, The Wedge Strategy and The Santorum Amendment. Do you not believe it, or do you agree with Santorums affiliations or is there a third option that I'm not seeing?
Have not looked at them. You apparently have me confused with Santorum supporters. Of which I am definitely not one.

OTOH, I defend Santorum's right to say whatever ridiculous things he wants to say. That isn't the same as saying I agree with them and/or I support him, that's just exercising my First Amendment view.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything you have.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

oops! Utterly sorry Farsailer! I got you confused with the other maritime nickname Soulbiter.

So, SOulbiter:
I wrote:You haven't commented on my links to the Discovery Institute, The Wedge Strategy and The Santorum Amendment. Do you not believe it, or do you agree with Santorums affiliations or is there a third option that I'm not seeing?
-Hashi Lebwohl
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

From the NPR link embedded within your linked story:
FOLKENFLIK: Well, I talked to John Brabender, as you say, he's the senior media strategist for the Santorum camp. And he told me he personally oversaw the production of this video. It's actually a teaser. It's about a minute and five seconds long for an eight-part series that will run on the campaign's website. He says, look, this is not subliminal advertising. He referred to, you know, this famous images from the '60s where people flipped in little notices in the ads that said, you know, buy soda, buy popcorn. He said, we're not doing that.

He said, and this is a direct quote, "What I was trying to do was show that there was going to be this constant back and forth in Iranian-American conflict if Obama is elected president. Was I trying to show something more than that? Absolutely not." He was saying, you know, look, I'm not trying to say that I'm conflating Obama as a threat in a way that Ahmadinejad is a threat.

But it is interesting when you heard that phrase sworn American enemy and a pause, right after that, you saw the image of President Obama. What Brabender said to me last night was, look, he'd be a lot more blatant if he was attempting to conflate the two men.
Calling it "subliminal" when it's clearly visible seems like a contradiction, to me. There are all sorts of quick cuts and flashed images. Seems like a stylistic choice, rather than an attempt to manipulate people's subconsciousness. Clearly, the point of the ad is to equate a 2nd Obama term with danger and a dire future, specifically related to the Iranian threat. Is there really any surprise that they'd flash Obama's picture into this montage when he's the primary target of the ad? The meaning could just as easily be taken as, "a sworn American enemy ... against which this President won't take the necessary steps to protect us."
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

^Nice! It would be interesting to know exactly what footage it is running in the background.

I'd like to think it's not on purpose.

Edit: How short does it have to be, to be subliminal Zar? And would you have a beef with it if it was?

I may be older than the sun, but I could only see a clip. I could NOT recognize BHO. Not even see that it was a face even after I knew what it was.

I simply can't believe ANYONE trying to appologize that crap no matter what their political standpoint is. I would have been every bit as disgusted if BHO had mixed in a photo of Santorum in an film portraying, say, Rush Limbaugh.
-Hashi Lebwohl
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Prebe, the background footage was still photos of Obama and Ahmadinejad.

I thought "subliminal" meant that it was invisible to the naked eye at normal speeds, but the subconscious could still pick it up. If that was the case, then it would be hard to argue that malicious subterfuge wasn't intentional, and yes I'd have a beef with it in that case. However, given the fact that it's merely quick--as lots of movie trailers are nowadays--I don't think the intent was malicious. I mean, it's clear they're trying to OVERTLY equate Obama with danger, death, and international turmoil. Why quibble over quick-cut images when the message is overt? They want viewers to think a 2nd Obama term is dangerous. You don't need frame-by-frame analysis to understand that point. Focusing on such a minute portion of the ad seems just, well, paranoid to me. People looking for conspiracy theories ... when the truth is damning enough as it is. The entire ad is manipulative and sensational. That's politics.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Zar wrote:Why quibble over quick-cut images when the message is overt?
as I said, because I couldn't see it was Obama even when I knew it. I certainly did recognize Ahmedinijad though. Even the first time round.

So to my slow brain it most certainly was subliminal. Honestly. I may have some kind of brain tumor that I don't know about of course.
-Hashi Lebwohl
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The flashed image was a little too slow and obvious to count as "real" subliminal advertising but the intention was clear--associate the image of Mr. Obama with the phrase "sworn American enemy".

*shrug* We can ignore this one. Santorum's campaign is over except for his capitulation. We know this, Santorum's campaign knows this, Romney's campaign knows this, and Obama's campsign knows this.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Prebe wrote:
Zar wrote:Why quibble over quick-cut images when the message is overt?
as I said, because I couldn't see it was Obama even when I knew it. I certainly did recognize Ahmedinijad though. Even the first time round.

So to my slow brain it most certainly was subliminal. Honestly. I may have some kind of brain tumor that I don't know about of course.
If so, I must have one, too. I was looking for it and didn't see it until the pause. It's funny, too, because if you notice, the audio crackle is used as a cue. The first time, it's just Ahmedinijad, but the second is with Obama between two Ahmedinijads. I'm not so sure the intent is to subconsciously label Obama a "sworn American enemy" (the target audience doesn't really need to be told this), but I do think it's a jab at the limbic system, trying to arouse fear (as one commenter put it, the whole ad's like a red screen trailer for a B horror flick. it's not quite demon sheep-level stuff, but...) to get out the vote.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

What great fun that would be had by all if BHO wasn't really in there, but was introduced only in the frame by frame montage.

"The Emperor's New Clothes" springs to mind.
-Hashi Lebwohl
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Technically that is possible, yes...but why would anyone waste their time doing something to harm the Santorum campaign when it is already essentially dead?

Conspiracy theorists could claim that pro-Santorum supporters made this fake expose to drum up support for their candidate but, honestly, I doubt they are that smart and don't think like a conspiracy theorist. Besides--it simply wouldn't make any sense for them to do it.

No, the flashed image is really there and apparently they really released this ad. *shrug*
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Don't forget that this also plays into the Obama-is-a-secret-Muslim meme as well.

Santorum must be saving the Obama-is-the-Anti-Christ meme for the general election?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

heh, I had to watch it 3 times before i saw it...maybe I'm slow.[edited to add: or maybe cuz it was only 2 inches tall on my monitor].
but holy crap, what a bullshit piece even without that included.
Makes me want to film a piece on the Inquisition and spread the S-man all over Pope and Inquisitor faces. I'll call it "Revelations." Set it in "SantoRome."

Return to “Coercri”