Angel

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Careful with the T-word Cov, Americans find it deeply ofensive. On a par with the C-word, I'm told.

I liked the first couple of series of Angel, but I'm not really fussed by it now, and the last few eps I've seen were pretty poor. I've always liked the darkness of the show though, plus Wesley is really good.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Nav wrote:Careful with the T-word Cov, Americans find it deeply ofensive. On a par with the C-word, I'm told.

I liked the first couple of series of Angel, but I'm not really fussed by it now, and the last few eps I've seen were pretty poor. I've always liked the darkness of the show though, plus Wesley is really good.
True, he's a lot better than when he first appeared in Buffy. :?
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

Not resurrecting the original question, but I have a question and I wanted to use the existing Angel thread instead of making a new one.

SPOILERS WILL NOT BE CONCEALED SINCE THIS IS A PRETTY OLD SERIES

In Season 4, there's the big rock demon. Why????

When Cordy came back from the higher plane, she contained the essence of Jasmine. Which then came to the front (pushing Cordie's consiousness to the back) when they did the memory spell. Jasmine's goal was to turn the world into shiney, happy people. All she needed was to give birth to herself. But she could have run off with Connor, had sex, and given birth without any interaction or interference from Angel Inc. and without summoning the rock beastie to cause an apocolypse to give her a reason to boink Conner. She also didn't need it as a body guard. Well, until the beast brought down 24-hour darkness, which brought out all the monsters. So THAT doesn't make any sense, either. If she wanted Angel Inc. out of the picture, she could have waited to turn them into shiney happy people (which she did - first thing), and then have them killed (which she didn't until they were turned against her).

As much as I hated the whiney character that was Connor (he whined worse than Dawn, as if anyone would think THAT could ever happen), I do like the plot line of this season. In retrospect, that is - that's the only way you can appreciate the part Connor had to play and why he was the way he was. And I like the way they tied in the previous seasons, as if it was all one big plan from the beginning. But I just can't figure out the beast's role in the whole thing. I only have two guesses, and I'm absolutely sure that both are wrong. The first is that they mapped out the season, and decided they needed a bit of filler. The second is that they started down the path of having the beast be the "boss" of this season ("level" *grin*), then decided to take a different route.
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

The actress who played Jasmine was from Serenity that had just been cancelled. I thought he just sort of tossed in a character for her to play like he did with the Serenity captain in Buffy.

The sacrifice scene where Cordy gets Connor to help her drag that woman was really chilling. One of the most intense scenes of the serial.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

My interpretation was that Jasmine was vulnerable until her birth, and so the beast was summoned to distract any eyes from glancing her way. Also, Gina Torres is amazing and needed a job. ;)

I love Connor so much! I can see why people don't like him - he's pretty angsty - but the more I re-watched, the more I came to sympathize with him. Poor kid never had a chance before Holtz started turning him into a vengeance machine. And then Holt'z suicide (imho, one of the most evil acts in the show because of it's intended results), and Cordelia/Jasmine... it's no wonder the poor kid was half insane and ready to implode by the end of Season 4. But the payoff with him in S5 is phenomenal, and he's one of the best characters in After the Fall.

Speaking of - did anybody read those? Absolutely amazing comic book continuation, plotted by Joss and written by Brian Lynch. :D
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

birdandbear wrote:Speaking of - did anybody read those? Absolutely amazing comic book continuation, plotted by Joss and written by Brian Lynch. :D
I had read that it was continued, but I am not a comic book person. Is it worth looking at even if you don't like comic books?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Of all the shows I have watched over the years, this one had the absolute best final scene of any of them. It summed up the entire series for me.

Angel and the remaining gang are in that dark alley as hell's hoardes come pouring forth to destroy them...
(Not exactly verbatim, but):
Spike: So, is there a plan?
Angel: We fight.
Spike: Anything specific??
Angel: Personally, I'd kinda like to slay the dragon.
Then Angel steps forward and says, "Let's go to work." He slashes with the sword, and...END.

Beautiful.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser

Return to “TV Shows”