TC Musings, Q & A, Dissecting Against All Things Ending

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Indeed, opportunities like these won't last... and it'll be about three years until you get one final chance!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Hey guys! We've caught up thanks to Jenn, myself and Effaeldm's Seek Deep Stone. Soulbiter is on track to have his chapter (7) up in time, bye the 28th. Sorry for the delay, but join us (don't make me send out another obnoxious mass e-mail, LOL).
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Summoning up zombie-topics again, but I've been laughing at the first two or so pages of comments about size/proportions on this thread, and also spent some time shaking my head at the various cover representations of Foamfollower, etc. Just can't wrap my mind around the idea that they'd be merely some lanky humans.* :P

So here's one scale/size alternative showing some variations (and everyone's of course entitled to imagine them as they prefer). It was actually quite fun to sketch, and at one point I noticed I had calculated some of my own earlier references a foot or so off. Rather rough and likely contains some bloody anatomical errors due to an unthorough check, but cleaning up the inking on this amount of characters would devour a considerable amount of hours. Probably as close to SRD's descriptions I personally can ever get, however. :P

Always thought the males particularly would sport disproportionately large feet to help balance their weight, and hands to match. Don't know if the Land's physics agree with those of ours, but the rule twice the size = eight times the weight still stands. So even with the daintiest Giantess, we'd begin with around 400 kilos. You wouldn't want one to step on you.

*While the art isn't bad, Briny the Pirate & co just...eäääh...

Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Wed May 22, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Zorm wrote:So here's one scale/size alternative showing some variations (and everyone's of course entitled to imagine them as they prefer).
And it's just as fun to see! Since I commented on your last image showing the relative sizes of men and Giants, I feel compelled to say that this one has addressed everything I had complained about so petulantly before.

As for the feet - I always go by the old methematical standby: double the height means four times the surface area and eight times the weight, barring any other considerations. Therefore, Giants proportioned as humans would have double the pressure on their poor feet (eight times the weight distributed over only four times the surface area). Therefore, I find it perfectly arguable that their feet would be proportionally larger than ours in order to naturally distribute the extra pressure. On the other hand, you could argue that they are stronger and more obdurate and so don't need this. Either way works for me. But smaller feet would be right out!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Thanks for sharing, Zorm! Your talent astounds me.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Nice one, Zorm. :D I like how, even without a face, TC is still in a bad mood in that picture.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

Wow! That is some fine artwork :D I absolutely love it, Zorm! That is exactly like I see them.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks everyone. :D
wayfriend wrote:
Zorm wrote:So here's one scale/size alternative showing some variations (and everyone's of course entitled to imagine them as they prefer).
And it's just as fun to see! Since I commented on your last image showing the relative sizes of men and Giants, I feel compelled to say that this one has addressed everything I had complained about so petulantly before.

As for the feet - I always go by the old methematical standby: double the height means four times the surface area and eight times the weight, barring any other considerations. Therefore, Giants proportioned as humans would have double the pressure on their poor feet (eight times the weight distributed over only four times the surface area). Therefore, I find it perfectly arguable that their feet would be proportionally larger than ours in order to naturally distribute the extra pressure. On the other hand, you could argue that they are stronger and more obdurate and so don't need this. Either way works for me. But smaller feet would be right out!
To add a personal opinion: I think Giants with teeny tiny nubs for feet would appear ludicrous. :lol: Can't visualize it, really, what with having been influenced by artists like Kristjan Raud to some extent (can't find the image that's sitting in the front cover of my Kalevipoeg paperback on Google, but he quite much sports Pitchwife's feet).

Have to conclude that SRD's not always consistent with his descriptions, however. Particularly this about Pitchwife: 'An arm's reach' taller from TWL and this from WGW...
Linden started after him, then turned back to Pitchwife. He still stood on the rim of the hill, gazing down into the river's rush as if it would carry his heart away. Though he was half again as tall as Linden, his deformed spine and grotesque features made him appear old and frail.
Re-linked that older image to the particular thread. Took a little while to hunt down the individual files on my computer after the removals (still can't locate some cropped items...).
Ananda wrote:I like how, even without a face, TC is still in a bad mood in that picture.
Koh the Face Stealer came and went, but he's still doing his best and tuning into the spirit of this first-ever question!
Serpreme wrote:why is TC always so PO?

Now, to balance all that tittytalk in the earlier pages, this finally calls for some Pure One... :P

ETA: here's one of those humorous giant statues around Tallinna... Even with the perspective, feet. :D www.myworldshots.com/Estonia/Tallinn/Ka ... 13084.html
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Double post, but on the heels of the cover art rantage, remembered this gem from the GI:
Where cover art and leeway are concerned, there is enormous variety. Some publishers refuse to let their artists read the book --

You may be interested to know that Darrel K. Sweet's original cover for WGW depicted Marie Antoinette, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and a rhinoceros confronting Hawkman. First I wept. Then I screamed. Fortunately the success of TOT gave me the clout to insist on changes.
(01/10/2007)
Some insanely masochistic part of myself almost wants to see this concoction. 8O I can just about spot an allusion to Pitchwife, but a rhinoceros... Maria Antoinette... What. Who are these??? When did Hawkman appear in the Land?? Can we meet the bearded version of Aquaman from the cartoon also??
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'd forgotten about that, but now you mention it I cracked up, again, and really really do want to see that cover. [like I'd love to read what the original Linden was like, mentioned in the most recent interview posted...but will surely never get to]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I can only think a rhinocerous was someone's interpretation of a coarser. I think at one point SRD pointed out that artists were given very vague descriptions and discouraged from actually reading the book.

If they are confronting Hawkman, that must be Gibbon. Perhaps someone thought that a chasible was something with wings?

Hawkman
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

I thought a rhinoceros was supposed to be a sandgorgon. Nom, more specifically, especially keeping in mind the fight with Gibbon, if Hawkman is supposed to be him.

Edit: (didn't mention the posts further above at first)

And one more awesome artwork, Zorm! Aren't you afraid people may just get used to the high quality?)

I remember LF was said to look like he could be a human or he could be a giant, that may mean the difference is not too much, or at least can be used as an excuse to say so) But no guarantee - it could well be that it was so hard to actually see him that such an err was possible.
Last edited by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A role-player, beware
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

I also considered the rhino might represent either Nom or a courser, and even a truly misunderstood Honninscrave (since he killed Gibbon). :lol: Now to muse on the mystery of Marie: Linden or The First with an awful hairdo, their heads hopefully still standing atop their shoulders (though some thoolahians might disagree...does The First have her own hate-club?).
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Hardly, at least I didn't see her whine :) , which appears to be one of the main problems THOOLAH has with Linden. I'd guess Marie was supposed to be Linden.
A role-player, beware
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

[EDITED]

Boo, looks like I had worded that a bit poorly again. Apparently when I'm tired, my vocabulary devolves back into Ur-Pre-Proto-Ugric, more at home with hunting deer and finger-painting hairy mammoths on cave walls. Dx

Re: Quality: I'm glad and delighted that you find that 'high-quality', but for me and my 'personal work standards', it's a fairly rough sketch (even if it does take a while to compile). ^^; Unfinished body parts, no faces, etc. Didn't mean to sound dissing. But, I'm going to keep posting sketches besides the occasional finished work, probably even rougher than the one above, since I usually need help or feedback with something regarding them. There's one in the AATE forum right now that might need some ideas with ur-viles, for instance.

Are you sure about Linden? Some old promo material regarding the 2nd chrons still appear to float around, almost as interesting as your Russian dragon covers...

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I had always interpreted the rhino as a Nom reference as well. The hunchback I assumed was Honniscrave when he was trapped in the floor of the Hall of Gifts (similar to how he is shown in the eventually-used Sweet cover art). Hawkman being Gibbon and Marie Antoinette being Linden were given things...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Yes, because everyone knows all giants are hideous, deformed berks called Grawp and Hurrgh with the IQ of an ant's shoe, and they'll throw you into the cooking pot the next chance they get. :D

Someone should photoshop this cover for us.

EDIT: It's a contest now.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”