Mark Millar - Supercrooks

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Mark Millar - Supercrooks

Post by sgt.null »

if you liked Millar's Wanted (the book, not the movie) you should check out his Supercrooks.

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32891

promoted as Ocean's 11 meets the Injustice Society. a group of villains decide to flee America and pull a bank job in Glasgow.

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37831

I'll be getting the first issue later today and will report back. what i've seen so far - i have loved.

the movie rights have already been sold - i hope they do a better job than they did with Wanted.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Interesting concept. At least, it was when I thought of something similar back in 1990, the year I was running a superhero game and the villains had taken over a small country, thereby becoming diplomats as well as having the entire nation essentially working for them.

Still...it looks interesting.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

hashi - which game were you running?

read the first issue today. very good set-up. can't to read more!
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I cheated and used the same plot in two different campaigns, one under Marvel Super Heroes rules and another under GURPS Supers.

Most comic books have always done a reasonable job at keeping the stories out of current politics. I know that in the last decade, though, that more stories are having tones of current events but that is to be expected since comics have to stay current.

The "reality" of the situation, though, is that if superhuman powers actaully existed then things would quickly turn into forcing all supers to make a choice: work for the government or be rogues. I have also long held the opinion that within 20 years of superhuman powers coming into existence that supers would rule the world.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

the first batch would be 'drafted' by the government. and it would be just like the nukes all over again.

after awhile if there was a great amount of supers - then they would go rogue.

have you read the Wildcard series?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

sgt.null wrote:have you read the Wildcard series?
Yes, all of them. I used to have all of them, but over the years several of those paperbacks got destroyed, either by accident or on purpose (don't ask).

I saw a link on eBay a while ago where someone was selling their collection of the first 15 for $150. I was sorely tempted but didn't buy them. I wonder if they are still for sale? hrm....

Anyway...yes, there have been a couple of nations controlled by aces, but mostly Islamist nations. Had it not been for Dr. Tachyon, the United States would have been run by an ace. In retrospect, would Hartmann have been a bad choice? He would have been able to control every other world leader so there is no telling how things would have turned out.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Hartmann was evil - given a wider canvas too early, he likely never redeems himself.

i need to see how many i have and reread the series.

luckily we have half price books here - so i should be able to find what i am missing.

found this - you may like...
wildcards.wikia.com/wiki/Puppetman
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I keep checking Half Price. It can still be difficult to find the older novels but I did see a larger paperback compilation of the first three about 6 months ago.

No, he would have never redeemded himself but I think he would have used his ability to secure for himself a very positive political legacy--he could have stopped wars by shaking hands with other leaders before sitting at the negotiation table. *shrug* Oh, well....

You can't get too attached to Wild Card characters, though--the author/creator of the character may kill them off to open up new story lines. In fact, they often do. In the latest novel I have, there aren't too many of the original cast left, seeing as most of them have died of old age or in combat.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

You can't get too attached to Wild Card characters, though--the author/creator of the character may kill them off to open up new story lines. In fact, they often do. In the latest novel I have, there aren't too many of the original cast left, seeing as most of them have died of old age or in combat.
yes, I remember being upset when Howler died. I thought it was such a waste. so it was effective in that regard. man i got to find the books. talking with you made me realize just how much i enjoyed them. thank you. :D
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

At least Howler didn't die in combat.

I was browsing through the link you sent and I realized that I missed Suicide Kings, that latest in the Committee series. I need to go find it this weekend.

Let's give the Astronomer's glasses to Cameo and see what happens.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:At least Howler didn't die in combat
well if you have to die... :biggrin:

Captain Trips...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

issue # 2 of SuperCrooks came out and was a nice build up issue. introducing us to our bad guys and setting up the score.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”