The need to re-read

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

DrPaul
Giantfriend

The need to re-read

Post by DrPaul »

I have finished reading the First and Second Chronicles and am now falling down with Linden, Anele and the rubble of Kevin's Watch in TROTE. It has been an enlightening experience in a number of respects.

One is that each time I re-read the earlier Chronicles, in particular the First, I find myself reading them differently and understanding them more empathetically than previously. For instance, I can now pretty much understand why Covenant just about had to act the way he acted for most of The First Chronicles in the light of the self-protective disciplines he'd had to learn as a leper - "I'm a coward! Lepers have to be." (Although I must admit I still find his behaviour and remarks immediately after the battle of Soaring Woodhelven insufferable!) I say "just about" because the whole point of the Chronicles is that you always have a choice that makes a difference.

Another is that the three year gaps between volumes of The Last Chronicles makes it more important than in the earlier Chronicles to re-read each one before the next appears, if only to remind oneself of events in TROTE and FR which may not have seemed like much at the time but which are quite possibly going to acquire great significance in the last two volumes (such as Jeremiah's structures in Linden's home which I've posted about in another thread).

What do others think?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I agree a re-read is necessary... if for no other reason then because the Chronicles are just that awesome 8)

I also think that reading some of Donaldson's influences are important as well, I've got this new understanding of Covenant's actions in the first chronicles by studying William Blake!

Maybe it's time for a re-read of the Gradual Interview too...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Which is why I'll probably never finish the Wheel of Time...so much plot stuff, I have to re-read...but where the Chronicles are fun to read again, WoT just gets more tedious.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

So when are you guys going to start your rereads for AATE? It's getting to be about that time. Will you reread the 1st and 2nd, too? Or just Runes and FR? I haven't reread the 1st and 2nd Chrons since 2005, but I'm saving that for the last book. What a reread that will be! To read the entire Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and end with the last new, unexplored book of this series. I can't wait.

But until then, it's Runes and FR for me this summer. I've begun Runes today. This will be my 3rd time. I'm really taking my time, chewing over every sentence, and just enjoying Donaldson's craft, his skill. I might post some thoughts in the old dissections as I go.

Anyone else?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I've been contemplating a re-read, but I'm reluctant to start now and then finish FR with still weeks or maybe even months to wait for AATE.
I haven't reread the 1st and 2nd Chrons since 2005, but I'm saving that for the last book. What a reread that will be! To read the entire Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and end with the last new, unexplored book of this series. I can't wait.
That's a really good idea, I'll probably do the same.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I've been thinking about it too, but not sure if I'll have the time... getting ready to move across the country and stuff... what I might do is just read some random parts starting in a few months, just to whet my appetite. Or maybe put Runes and FR on random play in my ipod.

I love the idea of a full re-read before the Last Dark!
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I already finished my re-read of RotE and FR before AATE. Yeah, I know, it *was* too soon. I'll forget everything by October, probably. Oh well.

A total Chrons re-read in 2013 sounds like a winner to me, as well. Maybe we should make it a KW project. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

aliantha wrote: A total Chrons re-read in 2013 sounds like a winner to me, as well. Maybe we should make it a KW project. 8)
Yes! Sounds like a plan.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Zarathustra wrote:
aliantha wrote: A total Chrons re-read in 2013 sounds like a winner to me, as well. Maybe we should make it a KW project. 8)
Yes! Sounds like a plan.
Agreed!
ozrics
Servant of the Land

Post by ozrics »

I'm just about to start a re-read of all 8 books so would guess will be done in time for my kids to buy AATE for me for Christmas :D
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
Stephen Hawking
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

i just finished a read read of FR. I'm about to start all over from LFB.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I just bought RoTE and FR on my Kindle last week and started my re-read. With my free time/reading speed, I should just about finish them both by the time AATE comes out :)

Wish the 1st/2nd chronicles were available on the Kindle. My copies are getting pretty dog-eared from all the re-reads over the years.
ozrics
Servant of the Land

Post by ozrics »

What joy, I must admit I was a bit daunted back on 11 Aug when I decided to re-read all 8 books. Thought it would take me ages but I've finished them now and enjoyed every minute.

Certainly its worth it in advance of AATE - I must admit reading chapter 1 of AATE on SRD website inspired me to refresh my memory of events thus far, and what a journey!

I'd also recommend Gilden Fire to all which gives some further insight into the Haruchai albeit that it can be read in under an hour. Cheap as chips on Amazon :wink:
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
Stephen Hawking
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Is it time to start contemplating the Grand Re-read? 10 books will take me forever to get through. I read slow, and in little snippets of time each day. At this point, we have 16-18 months left? When is TLD coming out? Anyway, that's less than two months per book, which is pushing it for me.

Ki (my wife, for you newbies out there) will be reading the Chronicles for the very first time, so it's exciting on a personal level. She loved The Gap, so I'm eager to see what she thinks of this.

[I just noticed that I was thinking of this almost two years to the day in 2010. Something about the summer just makes me think of reading projects, I suppose.]
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote: I read slow, and in little snippets of time each day. At this point, we have 16-18 months left? When is TLD coming out? Anyway, that's less than two months per book, which is pushing it for me.
Heh...I read slow, but in big chunks of hours at a time normally, so I'll do either 1 or 2 weeks per book for re-read depending on what my free time looks like.
Z wrote: Ki (my wife, for you newbies out there) will be reading the Chronicles for the very first time, so it's exciting on a personal level. She loved The Gap, so I'm eager to see what she thinks of this.
Now that should make things interesting. I can't get my wife to finish...she won't even finish LFB. We're kinda like Palestine and Israel when it comes to authors, though...it's more surprising when we agree than when we lay waste to the other's favorites. [though I used to pretend we had more lit. in common, at least in public...but at this point we're down to basically both liking Pratchett a lot and both hating Dickens a lot]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Vraith wrote:[though I used to pretend we had more lit. in common, at least in public...but at this point we're down to basically both liking Pratchett a lot and both hating Dickens a lot]
Would it have anything to do with your funny-bonectomy? :biggrin:

[On topic] I haven't done a reread since I joined the Watch. Being involved in discussions about the Chrons has kept me in a sort of contact with the 1st and 2nd Chrons. Finishing FR and struggling through AATE has left me well enough set up for TLD. I might do a reread of ROTE as it's a good few years since I read it.

u.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”